*Official NFL Free Agency thread* | Page 120 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official NFL Free Agency thread*

I think this makes sense for both sides. Eagles get to keep two 1's in 2022 and now they get two 1's in 2023 and get to spread the salary pain for first round picks over two years. Saints sacrifice next years draft to get some short term improvements this year.
I totally don’t get it from the Saints end. That team isn’t close to being a contender and they keeping pushing their cap problems down the road. The Saints don’t have a QB and they are sacrificing next year’s first round pick in a much stronger QB class to move into this year’s first round in which there is probably only one QB that merits a first round selection. Even with the two picks they now have in the first round this year, they are still out of range of Malik Willis and nobody else they could draft with those two picks suddenly turns them into contenders.

I totally don’t get it from the Saints end. That team isn’t close to being a contender and they keeping pushing their cap problems down the road. The Saints don’t have a QB and they are sacrificing next year’s first round pick in a much stronger QB class to move into this year’s first round in which there is probably only one QB that merits a first round selection. Even with the two picks they now have in the first round this year, they are still out of range of Malik Willis and nobody else they could draft with those two picks suddenly turns them into contenders.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous. It makes no sense at all. They should be in total rebuild mode like Miami was three years ago.
Am I missing something... it doesn't seem that bad. Saints get 16th and 19th this year for 18th overall and a 3rd round pick this year and another 1st next year. So the Saints basicly traded a 2023 1st and this years 3rd round for the 16th overall pick this year. Seems like I could go either way with the deal. For example if Miami traded this year's 3rd round pick and one of the 1st we have in 2023 for the 16th overall pick it wouldn't be the worst of trades.

Only way this makes sense to me is if the Saints are looking to package Nos. 16 + 19 to move up into the top-10 to draft Willis.

That is a team that needs to take its medicine, quit kicking the can down the road, and do a hard reset like Miami did during year 1 of Flo's tenure.

Last edited:
Only way this makes sense to me is if the Saints are looking to package Nos. 16 + 19 to move up into the top-10 to draft Willis.

That is a team that needs to take its medicine, quick kicking the can down the road, and do a hard reset like Miami did during year 1 of Flo's tenure.

Or if they really like two of the 1st round prospects this year and they're willing to give up a 3rd round pick in 2022 and a 2023 1st so they can have two selections this year instead of one. For example if they were trying to choose between Burks at wr or Linderbaum at c and now could be in position to just draft both this year and not have a 1st next year.

Am I missing something... it doesn't seem that bad. Saints get 16th and 19th this year for 18th overall and a 3rd round pick this year and another 1st next year. So the Saints basicly traded a 2023 1st and this years 3rd round for the 16th overall pick this year. Seems like I could go either way with the deal. For example if Miami traded this year's 3rd round pick and one of the 1st we have in 2023 for the 16th overall pick it wouldn't be the worst of trades.
And the Saints gave up a second round pick in 2024. I don’t get the urgency from the Saints. In my opinion, they need a QB and they just gave up their first round pick next year in which many experts think will be a strong QB class, so what’s the point of sacrificing the future for this year? They also have salary cap issues that they pushed into the future. I think they’ve misjudged their situation. They should be in rebuild mode. They should have been looking to unload assets to accumulate draft picks instead of mortgaging future picks.

That is a team that needs to take its medicine, quit kicking the can down the road, and do a hard reset like Miami did during year 1 of Flo's tenure.
I agree, that they might try that. That’s the only way the trade makes sense, but there are a 6 teams in the top eight picks that need a QB. I just don’t see how they can pul it off.

And the Saints gave up a second round pick in 2024. I don’t get the urgency from the Saints. In my opinion, they need a QB and they just gave up their first round pick next year in which many experts think will be a strong QB class, so what’s the point of sacrificing the future for this year? They also have salary cap issues that they pushed into the future. I think they’ve misjudged their situation. They should be in rebuild mode. They should have been looking to unload assets to accumulate draft picks instead of mortgaging future picks.
I saw the 2023 rd round pick, didn't realize they're also giving up 2024 2nd too. They must have a specific plan in mind to make it worth getting the pick this year.

The Saints HAVE to be looking to package their picks to move ahead of Carolina for a QB. Otherwise the trade doesn’t make sense at this point in the process. You have no idea who is or isn’t going to be there at 16 and 18, so it’s not like they made this move with specific players in mind. This is a trade that you see on draft day when a specific player that you want starts to fall.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them trade to 4 with the Jets. Saints get ahead of Carolina, and Jets are eager for a top wr and the middle of the first is probably the sweet spot to get one.

Because he's still usable. He's not yet as bad as....what was his name? Damn man he was a tackle for us and he was a backup but was put in due to injuries....see he was SO BAD my brain literally deleted his name from existence in order to save itself....whatever Davis isn't that bad...yet.

LMAO

I read this and thought of 4-5 guys that fit that description.

Laughed even harder as I read the next 4-5 posts…

Or if they really like two of the 1st round prospects this year and they're willing to give up a 3rd round pick in 2022 and a 2023 1st so they can have two selections this year instead of one. For example if they were trying to choose between Burks at wr or Linderbaum at c and now could be in position to just draft both this year and not have a 1st next year.
No one they could pick with those two picks would move the needle for them when they don’t have a QB. They have to be thinking QB with this move. If they are not, they’re even dumber than I thought. The problem is, there really only seems to be one QB in this class that merits being picked in the first round, and Willis will probably go to one of those QB needy teams picking in the top eight.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous. It makes no sense at all. They should be in total rebuild mode like Miami was three years ago.

I’m really hoping SF has a horrible season so we can be in a position to trade that pick and continue the recent trend of having extra picks, minus this year of course.

The only shitty thing for the Eagles is that Howie Roseman will be making those picks. He’s the only GM I’ve ever seen who’s team won a title despite all his horrible draft picks, that year still defies logic.

The Saints HAVE to be looking to package their picks to move ahead of Carolina for a QB.

I don’t know that might be hard to believe, however nothing else makes sense. They’d have to go to 1 or 2 to ensure they get their guy because Carolina could move up easier than the Saints could.

Did they play their hand too early? When we made that deal with SF last year, we had the Philly trade already in place. Seems like if anyone wants to move up, bows the time.

Everyone in the top 5 should be open to trading down except maybe the Jets, with 4, 10, 35 and 38 they shouldn’t be looking to move down from 4, unless maybe it was to 6. They obviously need to get the best player they can so moving from 4 shouldn’t be on their agenda.

Houston is in a good spot to trade down. Roster is bare.

Back
Top Bottom