*Official NFL Free Agency thread* | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official NFL Free Agency thread*

It could be Collins just doesn't want to play in Miami.
He did choose the Cowboys over the Dolphins when he was a free agent after college. Yet until the Cowboys actually release him, they control where he will be traded to if they decide to trade him instead of outright releasing him.

He did choose the Cowboys over the Dolphins when he was a free agent after college. Yet until the Cowboys actually release him, they control where he will be traded to if they decide to trade him instead of outright releasing him.
I remember that very well

Baker should insist on a trade
Not sure he will have many suitors that will pay him what he thinks he’s worth

I think that dude is gonna have to start from scratch on a one year deal and prove himself to that team what he’s worth

The one thing Miami has to counter BB is your money goes a lot further than Mass. Not to mention the weather and lifestyle. I would hold up a postcard of wintertime for each state and my offer.

There's got to be a good balance in regards to the cap. If you're constantly the top cap-space team, and you're not producing a winner, you aren't spending enough to bring in talent.

If you're constantly over the cap, winning sporadically, having to release and trade talent, you're either negotiating bad contracts or you're overloaded with talent.

Sooner or later, both with catch up with you. In our case, I feel like we need to spend more on talent. Grier has shown he can negotiate good contracts, most of the time. If we had to cut or trade some fat, year to year, to get under the cap, maybe we'd have a better, more talented, overall team?

And with the cap projected to jump so significantly, perhaps now is not the time to be frugal. There's a balance here somewhere.

Not sure he will have many suitors that will pay him what he thinks he’s worth

I think that dude is gonna have to start from scratch on a one year deal and prove himself to that team what he’s worth
Baker is under contract. So any team that trades for him will assume that contract. His salary next season is over $18 million dollars.

Watson will likely end up with the Saints or Panthers and the team that doesn’t get him will likely be looking to bring in a new QB. Baker has expressed an interest in going to the Colts and they are certainly
a team in need of a new QB and they have plenty of cap space to take on his contract.

The one thing Miami has to counter BB is your money goes a lot further than Mass. Not to mention the weather and lifestyle. I would hold up a postcard of wintertime for each state and my offer.
He isn’t a free agent yet. The Cowboys have him under contract so they control where he is traded to at this time.

If they can’t work out a trade and release him, then he can decide if he wants to sign with the Dolphins, Patriots or any other team that might want to sign him.

I suspect the Cowboys will likely trade him before 4:00pm. Trading him for a 6th or even 7th round pick would be better than releasing him and getting nothing for him. Therefore I think he will end up with the Patriots.

The NFL has set a target of $25B in revenue by 2027, which would be about a 60% increase from last season, That would put the cap somewhere around $330m-$335m, in a few season. The saints are effectively borrowing against their houses projected increase in value. There's definitely risk, but the market USUALLY goes up. Also, they have a bunch more opportunities to kick that can once they have Watson's Salary-only, mostly guaranteed contract on the books.
For the millionth time, "cap hell" is a myth. The proverbial can can be kicked down the road indefinitely. Making choices on players does not equate to "cap hell". Every team has to do that. If a team wants to keep a player bad enough, or wants to acquire one bad enough, the cap is not going to be the thing to stop them.

There's got to be a good balance in regards to the cap. If you're constantly the top cap-space team, and you're not producing a winner, you aren't spending enough to bring in talent.

If you're constantly over the cap, winning sporadically, having to release and trade talent, you're either negotiating bad contracts or you're overloaded with talent.

Sooner or later, both with catch up with you. In our case, I feel like we need to spend more on talent. Grier has shown he can negotiate good contracts, most of the time. If we had to cut or trade some fat, year to year, to get under the cap, maybe we'd have a better, more talented, overall team?

And with the cap projected to jump so significantly, perhaps now is not the time to be frugal. There's a balance here somewhere.
I agree with this, although I'd say that you have to build a solid foundation before you can start extending your reach beyond your means, and I think Grier has been doing a decent job of putting that together up to this point. We certainly didn't have that while Tannenbaum was here.

Hopefully we will showcase that foundation on the field this year, and produce a third winning season in a row, which would be a good prompt to get more aggressive with the cap.

Back
Top Bottom