*Official NHL Offseason Thread* | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official NHL Offseason Thread*

unifiedtheory said:
Damn....it's nice to see the Bruins doing something eh?

On paper they look pretty good right now...it could be interesting for once.

It's about time, Unified.

I don't know too much about Savard, was that a solid signing? I've always noticed Chara on the ice (hard to miss him, he's huge), he's an impact player.. excellent to have him aboard.

The defense looks solid, but how are they going to put the puck in the net? Bergeron and Boyes were very good last year. Who knows what the hell is going to happen with Zhamonov, and Murray needs to learn how to play without Big Joe playing on the same line.

JTBRLZ said:
Boik, here's something I just stumbled upon. Don't know if there is any truth to these.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=655
this dude hit the nail on the head: "i mean, i've never once said "those islanders are just a 39 year old brian leetch away from winning the cup!"
- California

EDIT: although bring in leetch and peca would give a great vet presence on a team that is going to have a lot of young players. That could be important if the price is right on leetch...though i still HATE Leetch from all his days as a RAG.

Id be ok with Radoslav Suchy, woolley, carney or kuba. Witt I tend to agree is not worth 3m. The other 4 i mentioned id e careful not to give too much money cause none has shown long term consistency. Kuba being the youngest and reasonably skilled would be the ideal pick of those. Id love to get peca back also.

FaninPatsyLand said:
It's about time, Unified.

I don't know too much about Savard, was that a solid signing? I've always noticed Chara on the ice (hard to miss him, he's huge), he's an impact player.. excellent to have him aboard.

The defense looks solid, but how are they going to put the puck in the net? Bergeron and Boyes were very good last year. Who knows what the hell is going to happen with Zhamonov, and Murray needs to learn how to play without Big Joe playing on the same line.
Savard is a solid signing. I think they overpaid a bit though but for me I'd rather see them overpay the odd time then never do anything all the time. He could be Glen Murray's "new" Joe.

He's a very good playmaker and is excellent on the power play. He'll be on a line with Murray and whoever they can plug in. His negative is he is clueless in his own end of the rink. We did'nt bring him in to check though. His sole reason for being in Boston is to get 20-25 goals and 50 assists...very attainable numbers and not bad for your #2 center (the first line is locked in as Boyes, Sturm and Bergeron.)

That line (Boyes, Bergeron and Sturm) is VERY fast. They might be perfect for the way the game is being played right now. The key is how quickly Savard and Murray click. I'm thinking we could see a guy like Axellson on the 2nd line. He's very responsable in his end of the rink and can get out on the couter attack well because of his speed.

The Bruins won't be the mid 80's Oilers as far as scoring goes but I see them being very dangerous on the power play and the counter attack.

Chara is just a flat out beast. The guy does everything. I look at the defense and they look loaded. Chara, Stuart, Mara, Alberts, Jurcina, Lashoff and Stuart? That COULD be a top 5 defense. They have a lot of youth there and Chara will lead them. I'm excited about the prospects of what they could do.

I'm with you...I don't know what the hell they are gonna do with Zhamnov. Last year was a lost cause for the guy. I'm willing to give him a pass on last year because of injury.

A little side note. I found out from an article the other day that Mike O'Connell had a chance to get Chara from the Islanders a few years ago but got too greedy in the deal and he ended up going to Ottawa...just another reason why the man is a moron.

unifiedtheory said:
Savard is a solid signing. I think they overpaid a bit though but for me I'd rather see them overpay the odd time then never do anything all the time. He could be Glen Murray's "new" Joe.

He's a very good playmaker and is excellent on the power play. He'll be on a line with Murray and whoever they can plug in. His negative is he is clueless in his own end of the rink. We did'nt bring him in to check though. His sole reason for being in Boston is to get 20-25 goals and 50 assists...very attainable numbers and not bad for your #2 center (the first line is locked in as Boyes, Sturm and Bergeron.)

That line (Boyes, Bergeron and Sturm) is VERY fast. They might be perfect for the way the game is being played right now. The key is how quickly Savard and Murray click. I'm thinking we could see a guy like Axellson on the 2nd line. He's very responsable in his end of the rink and can get out on the couter attack well because of his speed.

The Bruins won't be the mid 80's Oilers as far as scoring goes but I see them being very dangerous on the power play and the counter attack.

Chara is just a flat out beast. The guy does everything. I look at the defense and they look loaded. Chara, Stuart, Mara, Alberts, Jurcina, Lashoff and Stuart? That COULD be a top 5 defense. They have a lot of youth there and Chara will lead them. I'm excited about the prospects of what they could do.

I'm with you...I don't know what the hell they are gonna do with Zhamnov. Last year was a lost cause for the guy. I'm willing to give him a pass on last year because of injury.

A little side note. I found out from an article the other day that Mike O'Connell had a chance to get Chara from the Islanders a few years ago but got too greedy in the deal and he ended up going to Ottawa...just another reason why the man is a moron.
I loved watching chara as an islander a few years back. Watching a dude his size with good speed and agility was like woah. And the best part is hes nasty enough to use his size to just mash people. :D

Defenseman are way too overpriced...

7.5 for Chara, way overpaid.

5 for Kubina, overpaid

4 for McKee, overpaid (even though I love him)

6.5 for Jovocop, overpaid

6 for Blake, over paid, but size of contract is perfect IMO. Not a horrible deal, but 6 is still too much for an older Blake.

Alot of teams are going to regret some of these signings in the future...

Also..

Arnott to Nashville, five years, 22.5 mil ... too many years for him but a good signing for now ... but again he's way overpaid, but the market dictates the price, and some teams are dishing out absurd contracts, again.

Crisis said:
Defenseman are way too overpriced...

7.5 for Chara, way overpaid.

5 for Kubina, overpaid

4 for McKee, overpaid (even though I love him)

6.5 for Jovocop, overpaid

6 for Blake, over paid, but size of contract is perfect IMO. Not a horrible deal, but 6 is still too much for an older Blake.

Alot of teams are going to regret some of these signings in the future...

Also..

Arnott to Nashville, five years, 22.5 mil ... too many years for him but a good signing for now ... but again he's way overpaid, but the market dictates the price, and some teams are dishing out absurd contracts, again.
Chara got market value. He's a top 5 guy at his position and is the 2nd highest paid. If the Bruins had not have paid him the 7.5 someone else would have.

Kubina at 5 million per is a little steep, I agree....same with McKee.

Jovo at 6.5 million is too much but, the Coyotes needed to make a splash. They plan, I'm assuming, to let their young D-men learn from him and they had to offer the big money to lure him away from Florida and Vancouver.

6 million for Blake is about right but at his age, who knows.

I don't think the Bruins will regret the Chara signing at all. Their young forwards are either signed or under club control for 3-5 more years. Their defence are all 20-23 year old guys who won't be hitting it big money wise for at least 3 years.

Chara is an example of the new economics of the NHL. Sign 2 or 3 guys for HUGE money, then have a couple of guys making 2 million and fill the rest of your roster with rookies and 2nd year players that are under club control and can't hit free agency for 4-5 years.

This offseason is the first step to the middle class of NHL player being phased out and the days of "you get the bigger money when you get older" are going away. The 33-36 year old vets are going to discover the money is gone and they are going to have to play for a million plus incentives.

I still don't see why Chara is overpaid. He fits undfer the cap comfortably, is a top 5 defenceman and is getting paid like it. I think it was a brilliant move and it will recharge the Bruins' fan base...I know I'm feeling good about it.

Pink_Dove said:
The Leafs inked my number 1 target Pavel Kubina. :eek: He signed because of Tomas and will probably play with him on the top pair. I thought he was brilliant for TB in their Stanley Cup run. 5 Mil is hefty but he was pursued by 7 or 8 teams apparently.

And Hal Gill. Although I'm definately not a fan. Should've given that spot to Ian White. That's still a decent bunch with Kabs and MCabe. All in all, the blue line is set for the next 4 years.

Word is the Leafs signed over Kubina over Jay McKee because McKee is a left-handed shot and they wanted Kubina who shoots right - my money is on him pairing with Gill while Mccabe/Kaberle stay together

unifiedtheory said:
Well, I was wrong about Arnott...

Five years, 22.5 million....Nashville.

Yeah, I'm excited about the Preds getting him...I just got into the NHL seriously last season...I decided after the strike that I'd at least give it a shot and I really got into it...went to the last regular season game in Nashville vs the Red Wings and had an amazing time. So exciting.

Back
Top Bottom