*Official NHL Offseason Thread* | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official NHL Offseason Thread*

TitansFanatic said:
Yeah, I'm excited about the Preds getting him...I just got into the NHL seriously last season...I decided after the strike that I'd at least give it a shot and I really got into it...went to the last regular season game in Nashville vs the Red Wings and had an amazing time. So exciting.
Seeing an NHL game LIVE is a totsally different experience then watching it on T.V.

I'm fully convinced that if everyone's first NHL viewing experience was seeing a game live the NHL would have a much migger footprint in the U.S.

Arnott gives the Preds something they've been lacking in for a while. Size up front. That fleet of midgets they have at forward has held them back from doing real damage in the playoffs. Arnott can crash and bang and create some space for those smaller forwards.

If Tomas Vokoun can return to form the Preds are a dangerous team in the West.

dominizzo said:
woooow stilll the habs and flyers are doing squat

The Flyers signed Nolan Baumgartner...

:sidelol:

...on a side note, this is the first sign that Bob Clark is understanding the "new" NHL. Having a bunch of knuckledraggers who can't skate on defence will get you killed.

Clark still thinks he can bring a trophy to Philly without
spending any money on a goalie, or at least have a decent
one in the system...

CDNPHIN said:
Clark still thinks he can bring a trophy to Philly without
spending any money on a goalie, or at least have a decent
one in the system...

Which is rediculous considering the goaltenders the Flyers have had...

Look at when the Flyers have been to the Finals...Parent, Lindburgh, Hextall...

He should learn from the history of his own team and get a damn goalie.

Better yet don't....I enjoy watching the "genius" that is Bob Clark squirm.

unifiedtheory said:
Seeing an NHL game LIVE is a totsally different experience then watching it on T.V. I'm fully convinced that if everyone's first NHL viewing experience was seeing a game live the NHL would have a much migger footprint in the U.S. Arnott gives the Preds something they've been lacking in for a while. Size up front. That fleet of midgets they have at forward has held them back from doing real damage in the playoffs. Arnott can crash and bang and create some space for those smaller forwards. If Tomas Vokoun can return to form the Preds are a dangerous team in the West.
Yeah, I was crushed when Vokoun went down before the playoffs...Mason did a wonderful job but I can't help to think if we had had Vokoun healthy we might have won the first playoff series with the Sharks.

Belfore's lookin' for work! just go easy on the back... :wheels:
just kidding everyone loved the "eagle".

unifiedtheory said:
Chara got market value. He's a top 5 guy at his position and is the 2nd highest paid. If the Bruins had not have paid him the 7.5 someone else would have.

Kubina at 5 million per is a little steep, I agree....same with McKee.

Jovo at 6.5 million is too much but, the Coyotes needed to make a splash. They plan, I'm assuming, to let their young D-men learn from him and they had to offer the big money to lure him away from Florida and Vancouver.

6 million for Blake is about right but at his age, who knows.

I don't think the Bruins will regret the Chara signing at all. Their young forwards are either signed or under club control for 3-5 more years. Their defence are all 20-23 year old guys who won't be hitting it big money wise for at least 3 years.

Chara is an example of the new economics of the NHL. Sign 2 or 3 guys for HUGE money, then have a couple of guys making 2 million and fill the rest of your roster with rookies and 2nd year players that are under club control and can't hit free agency for 4-5 years.

This offseason is the first step to the middle class of NHL player being phased out and the days of "you get the bigger money when you get older" are going away. The 33-36 year old vets are going to discover the money is gone and they are going to have to play for a million plus incentives.

I still don't see why Chara is overpaid. He fits undfer the cap comfortably, is a top 5 defenceman and is getting paid like it. I think it was a brilliant move and it will recharge the Bruins' fan base...I know I'm feeling good about it.
I like the Chara signing. I don't like the money.

He's making Lidstrom-money and he has nowhere near the value that Lidstrom has, even while considering age.

Then again maybe he'll be worth the money and the B's will be the Ducks of this year.

Is there a no-trade clause in his deal?

Crisis said:
I like the Chara signing. I don't like the money.

He's making Lidstrom-money and he has nowhere near the value that Lidstrom has, even while considering age.

Then again maybe he'll be worth the money and the B's will be the Ducks of this year.

Is there a no-trade clause in his deal?

From what I read there is a no trade clause after the first year of the deal...which scares me a little. It means that the Bruins can LOOK like they are attempting to win and still ship him out during the first year of the deal.

Isles signed Mike sillinger. Whoop dee do. Anyone else think he will never see 32 goals or 63 pts ever again in a single season like he did last year? Im thinking he MIGHT get that over the 3 year contract he signed lol

He was Neil Smith's 1st draft pick in detroit and he is a good character guy. I hope we didnt sign him in leiu of peca though. Unless Peca actually expected a raise that'd be a huge mistake cause sillinger is not hitting his prime on his nhl record 12th team or at age 35.

Panthers grab Ruslan Salei for 4/12.1. Reasonable deal...glad we didn't overpay like a lot of teams have. I wanted Jovo badly, but $6.5 million a year for him? We generously offered Luongo $6.25, put it that way. Not a believer in tying up 20% of your payroll in one player unless he's special.

unifiedtheory said:
Seeing an NHL game LIVE is a totsally different experience then watching it on T.V.

I'm fully convinced that if everyone's first NHL viewing experience was seeing a game live the NHL would have a much migger footprint in the U.S.

Arnott gives the Preds something they've been lacking in for a while. Size up front. That fleet of midgets they have at forward has held them back from doing real damage in the playoffs. Arnott can crash and bang and create some space for those smaller forwards.

If Tomas Vokoun can return to form the Preds are a dangerous team in the West.
Eh even live it can be tough to follow. The puck gets lost in the corners a lot and for some people the game moves too quickly for them to follow. You can see some first-timers at games cause they have that "what just happened?" look to them

Boik14 said:
Isles signed Mike sillinger. Whoop dee do. Anyone else think he will never see 32 goals or 63 pts ever again in a single season like he did last year? Im thinking he MIGHT get that over the 3 year contract he signed lol

He was Neil Smith's 1st draft pick in detroit and he is a good character guy. I hope we didnt sign him in leiu of peca though. Unless Peca actually expected a raise that'd be a huge mistake cause sillinger is not hitting his prime on his nhl record 12th team or at age 35.

Commonn Boik, show a little optimism in the new guys. I actually really like this pick up. I'm a big fan of Sillinger. He's a really good, well-rounded center. He has playmaking abilities, great at faceoffs, and also very good at defense. Yea he's lost some with age, but we need some quality veterans on this team. That goal total had a lot to do with being one of the few talents on the Blues, so we most likely won't see that again, but I think he can still be a productive player for us.

JTBRLZ said:
Commonn Boik, show a little optimism in the new guys. I actually really like this pick up. I'm a big fan of Sillinger. He's a really good, well-rounded center. He has playmaking abilities, great at faceoffs, and also very good at defense. Yea he's lost some with age, but we need some quality veterans on this team. That goal total had a lot to do with being one of the few talents on the Blues, so we most likely won't see that again, but I think he can still be a productive player for us.
Lost some with age? He gained with age. The last 3 seasons hes had the best goal totals of his career. Still im not going crazy over a 3rd line C. Also, it probably came at the expense of getting peca.

And with all the fowards we have i think D is what we need to be pursuing.

I'm assuming Peca wanted too much monye or maybe Sillinger was there first option. One or two veterans on defense would be perfect.

JTBRLZ said:
I'm assuming Peca wanted too much monye or maybe Sillinger was there first option. One or two veterans on defense would be perfect.
Nah this team needs a defensive overhaul. Theyre all smurfs except Eskrine who we didnt resign. Gotta have at least 2 physical D men, even in the new nhl. Guys like Campoli and Martinek that can move the puck are an asset without question but you still need a couple crease clearer types that can make someone pay for skating with thier head down or standing in front of your net. Plus we have a bunch of kids coming up within the next year or so and thats always the first thing young players forget is defensive responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom