*Official NHL Offseason Thread* | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official NHL Offseason Thread*

Slappy8800 said:
Maine loves their Blackbears

No doubt about it. Collegiate hockey is huge in the Northeast, especially in New England.

I've also spent some time in NY/NJ, and I know for a fact that there is a huge following for the NY Rangers, but much like Bruins over the last few years (excluding this year, because the Rangers were good), it's tough to show support of a hockey team that is garbage.

I don't know how well the Islanders are supported in the tri-state area, but the Rangers are big.

The Devils have realy gained ground in the tri-state area too^, Ranger-Bruin games are the best :)

MKeveny said:
The Devils have realy gained ground in the tri-state area too^, Ranger-Bruin games are the best :)

Not as good as those Bruins - Canadiens games, although we've come up short against them way too often lately.

Boy do I despise those Canadiens..

FaninPatsyLand said:
I have to disagree here.

Boston is a huge hockey city, it's not the fans fault that Jeremy Jacobs is a terrible owner. He has driven away lots of Bruins fans in this area with his refusal to put a good product on the ice. As for the passion in this area when it comes to hockey, look at the collegiate hockey scene. The Beanpot is a huge draw with so many good programs in and around Boston.

And Minnesota is crazy about their hockey. Look at the Golden Gophers.....

So if I change it to really care about the NHL does it work? Were fans more interested in the upcoming baseball season or the ending of the hockey season? They may have fans but I don't buy that many areas care about the NHL. I recall Rob Brindamour on Jim Rome talking about the Hurricances fans and stating something like "they know when the light goes on in the back of the net it's a goal and not much else."

djfresh47 said:
So if I change it to really care about the NHL does it work? Were fans more interested in the upcoming baseball season or the ending of the hockey season? They may have fans but I don't buy that many areas care about the NHL. I recall Rob Brindamour on Jim Rome talking about the Hurricances fans and stating something like "they know when the light goes on in the back of the net it's a goal and not much else."

Well I agree that not many areas in the country care about hockey, especially down south.

But I'm also not buying that Detroit and Buffalo are the only cities in the country that REALLY LOVE their hockey. It's bigger than that in this country, especially in the Northeast and Minnesota.

FaninPatsyLand said:
No doubt about it. Collegiate hockey is huge in the Northeast, especially in New England.

I've also spent some time in NY/NJ, and I know for a fact that there is a huge following for the NY Rangers, but much like Bruins over the last few years (excluding this year, because the Rangers were good), it's tough to show support of a hockey team that is garbage.

I don't know how well the Islanders are supported in the tri-state area, but the Rangers are big.
There's a decent Islander fan base on Long Island but not as big in nyc/nj/conn. Those areas all have their own teams. when the isles become good again the rest of LI will jump on the bandwagon.

Slappy8800 said:
then why should quebec or Winnipeg?
Because Quebec and Winnipeg were selling out their buildings every night when the teams got taken away.

The only reason they left was because they could not compete in the old economic system and the political climate in both cities would not allow for a new arena.

Great trade for the Sens...

Havlat is garbage. He's the best player in the league when you have a 3 goal lead...he'll add to that lead.

Ask him to have a clue in his own end of the rink, get you a goal or make a play in a tight hockey game and your'e better off with him on the bench.

Havlat out of the division!!

Havlat owns the Sabres...Seems like everytime we meet the Sens he scores.

MKeveny said:

uuuh im from NJ, mainly 15 minutes from the Devils arena.....i can assure you, they are NOT gaining ground. in fact they might be losing ground

Back
Top Bottom