Omar Kelly Tried To Convince Jarvis Landry To Skip Training Camp Last Year

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Superself, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

This was posted on reddit by someone who was subscribed to Omar's instagram account where he was doing a Q&A this week. I have nothing to substantiate whether this is true or not but if it is, he should be fired.

dolpns13 and Digital like this.
  2. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Omar is a tool but not sure why or if he should be fired over this if true.

3. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm advising everyone on here to "skip Omar".

Martel13, SCall13, CRhodes and 4 others like this.
  4. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

"Jarvis didn't listen obviously, but is this not unprofessional? It's one thing to be involved with the team as a beat writer, but where does he got off trying to influence team business and adding fuel to the fire??"

Why would Omar start to be professional now?

5. MercMan

MercMan Needs more cowbell Finheaven VIP Donator

Maybe not, but if I'm the Dolphins I keep him as far away from the players and facilities as possible. He's showing here that he is far from objective about reporting on the team.

6. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

How do they do that?

7. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I've been skipping Omar for years. He sucks

8. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Not crazy about the situation, but look at it this way, Kelly was telling Landry to do something that may have been in Landry's best interest and it still didn't happen. So it shows how much clout Kelly's opinion held. As a reporter Kelly's action would be way out of line, because you're supposed to stay disconnected and objective to a story. As a columnist Kelly is paid to give his opinion and take sides on issues so it shouldn't shock you. Plus Kelly always seems to lean toward saying players should do what ever it takes to get paid what they think they're worth. He says it publicly so no suprise he would say it privately to Landry too.

9. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Even if it is true why fire the journalist because a player is that weak minded to listen?

10. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 My f*ck ups be the perfect mistakes Finheaven VIP Donator

Omar talks out of his *** quite often. If you listen to him on local radio when he appears on WQAM, he acts as if he is tight with everybody and talks casually about a lot of players.

But this right here isn’t something you fire the guy over.

And honestly, Omar serves a purpose down here. He is arguably the top dog when it comes to tweets during camp and his unpopular takes do serve as a talking point, even if the take can often be ridiculous.

1 dol fan likes this.
  11. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

12. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

He blocked me just for telling him his podcast with Miko Grimes was embarrassing. They both talked up Sam Beenner like he was our best lineman lol.

13. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

This confirms my instinct that Omar is a troublemaker who seeks to throw hand grenades at the team whenever he gets the chance. His delight in any bad news for the Dolphins is obvious and he appears to want the team to fail badly. In another era, sports reporters just reported the news, but today it's all about being a "personality" and getting more clicks to measure success.
    I support any move to get Omar fired. I also support any move to ban him from covering the team. Keep him out of the locker room and as far away from the players as possible - he is an enemy of the team. Get him a job up in Boston to cover the Patriots. I can assure you that Bill Belichick wouldn't tolerate an arrogant disruptive troublemaker trying to turn his players against the team.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  14. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

Revoke his credentials.

15. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Not sure whether this is legit or not … but it does sound consistent with what we know of Omar. Wants the Dolphins to lose, has his own agenda, and is desperately interested in trying to act like he's part of some athlete's inner circle.

I haven't been an Omar fan … and true or not, this isn't going to make me change my mind. Omar gonna Omar.

16. gregorygrant83

I think people are confusing a reporters job with the job of a columnist. Reporters report the news and stay unbias, while columnist, such as Kelly, are often paid to stir the pot. A good column should either inform, entertain or incite. There was a time where you had entertaining sports columnist, such as Edwin Pope, but today it's easier to just stir the pot. I'm not wild about it, but it's clear he's doing what the Sun Sentinel wants him to do. He wouldn't have the job for a nearly a decade if they were unhappy with his work.

Dakar001 and Superself like this.
  17. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Couldn’t imagine Darlington ever doing anything like this. I guess that’s why he gets the national spotlight now and Omar is still a wannabe. Maybe omar should take some notes on how to be a professional

18. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I remember him ‘blasting’ the Dolphins for messing with him and shuffling him on and off the active roster.

19. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

I would hope the Dolphins front office would be more in the know than a random poster and if this did happen I'm sure they'd respond accordingly

20. finomenal

finomenal FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

There's a lot of crying in this thread.

Omar cares about the players, which is why he told him to hold out. This isn't new news. He admitted this a long time ago. He said that he tells players all the time it's a business and tries to get them to realize that. I'm not a fan of his, but good for him. The players deserve to get all the money they can during the few years they get to play. It's a very risky job.

21. The Goat

I don't think crying means what you think it means.

If Omar cares that much about players, then he should be an agent, and good for him if he wants to do that. He's *supposed* to be a journalist. The responsibility as such (although that has admittedly blurred) is to report news, not BE news.

kevphin and andyahs like this.
  22. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

While I agree having and expressing a opinion that could cost you your job or allienate a sourse for your news like the coach or owner of the phins is not a wise choice imo but thats what people do wether it poltics or whatever. Jarvis likes playing football alot so it doesn't surprise me he didn't hold out and good for him.

23. finomenal

finomenal FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He doesn't have to be an agent to care about the players. I understand what you're saying, but it's not a big deal to me. You think other journalists don't give players advice? Of course they do, but he's Omar Kelly, so anything he does is bad according to public opinion.

24. gregorygrant83

Bottom line is people don't like Kelly making suggestions to players that counter what some fans want. Kelly tells Landry he should hold out of camp to get leverage in negotiating and fans are upset he's not being unbias. But seriously ask yourself would you still be upset if he urged Landry to sign a contract offer last season? So it's not Kelly getting involved that bothers you as much as him making a suggestion you disagree with. And what does it matter, seeing that Landry didn't follow his advice anyway. Also is it that he gave Landry advice privately that bothers you? If he had written a column suggest Landry hold out would the response be different because it was done in his column?

BobDole and finomenal like this.
  25. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

I don't see anything wrong with it. Today's "journalist" moonlight as "activist" all the time.

finomenal likes this.
  26. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

If I were a decision-maker for the Dolphins, I'd revoke his press credentials. Pretty easy call. Done and done.

Dominate, NBP81, fishfanmiami and 3 others like this.
  27. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Wonder what would happen if say, Ben Volin tried to give advice to some of Kraft & Beli's players...

fishfanmiami and The Goat like this.
  28. miami365

miami365 Rookie

If a player is taking advice of "journalists" whether it's Darlington or Omar then they're the bigger fool.

kevphin, Superself and crumpdaddy like this.
  29. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

meh its like I said before voluntary workouts and OTA's...ill follow (even though he doesn't get the pleasure of me being a confirmed follower) because he post the most out of any of the other beat writers, which is good and bad. he has his favorite players and you cant tell him crap about them or say anything negative about them or you hurt his feelings. plus I find it kind of humorous sometimes when he gets on his god complex sometimes, he literally tweeted one time paraphrasing "they were trying to over charge me for my car repairs, I told them to GOOGLE ME, so they googled me and then they fixed the car for less" or something crazy like that. that's good reading to see how filled with oneself someone can be, only negative is you have to wade through a lot of bs to see actual reports. I did used to like comparing the writers though, Mando would say something like beautiful pass from RT to JL for a TD for 10 yards, Omar would post on the same topic "excellent 50 yard td catch and run by JL" like wut?!

30. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

I don't like BLOWmar but one thing I know for sure.. He is definitely a big Dolphins fan. Just look at his face hiding a big smile when we win games.

31. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Actually referring to Omar as a "journalist" is akin to describing Milli Vanilli as "recording artists"

32. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

I don't see the big deal. I doubt the Dolphins are worried about Omar being a master manipulator with players. He may get in a rookies head from time to time but they got four years to figure out he is the journalistic town clown.

BobDole and j-off-her-doll like this.
  33. The Goat

Agree to disagree. I don't care who it is. This is someone who is supposed to be reporting on the team giving advice that could directly interfere with the organization. I don't care it it's Omar, Bob Woodward, or Santa Claus. Were I the Dolphins, I'd suspend his credentials immediately.

Vaark, finomenal and Superself like this.
  34. dnr3131

dnr3131 Well-Known Member

Maybe someone should convince Omar to cover a different team. Or at least, have a different take than a negative one every article/report, etc.

35. dnr3131

The public's opinion that HE created. No one else, it's how he wants it, its how he reports it, its how he covers it. I truly believe he is a Jets fan deep inside.

36. dnr3131

"If" he cared, then he wouldn't have given him that advise. It was obvious that Landry was not going to be resigned. So he needed every single reception he could get, because we all know he wasn't going to line-up wide and all the sudden become J. Jones. So if he listened to Omar and held out, that could have been disastrous for him, because he may have not had half the receptions he received, thus diminishing his FA value.

Omar doesn't get it, even when he thinks he's getting it!

37. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

It's been so long that I have read or listened to anything he does that I completely forgot about Omar until I saw this thread. It's been kinda nice. I have found alternatives that suit me better. I have to see how long I can go before the next time. :)

lurking likes this.
  38. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Good ol' dependable Omar, can always be counted on to be a 1st class doushe.

Other then his reports from training camp (Not personal opinion, that's useless obviously, but play by play reporting), he really is not worth reading, or, listening too.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  39. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Sounds like Omar being Omar.

He's pro-player (everything), convinced no one else gets it, and is more self-inflated than any other beatwriter I've ever seen. Some things I think he gets right, but it's washed away by his unerlining sense of righteousness.

40. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Landry learned the hard way that the NFL is a business that will use and abuse you. It was obvious at points last season that he felt like the team was reneging on its promises to do right by him if he would toe the line.