On Character | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On Character

So taking plays off is OK with you? A sign of “good” character?
In 2019, Chase had 84 receptions in 14 games. He gained 1788 yards for an average of over 20 yards a catch and he had 20 TD’s. If those are the stats of a player who takes plays off. Please give me a team of offensive players who take plays off and still put up these type of stats.

The whole notion that Chase takes plays off is nothing but BS. Those so called experts have no idea what they are talking about in regards to Chase taking plays off.

Returning back to my OP...

- I presented an argument that Grier highly values character in the draft. Can anyone disprove that claim? Please try. I listed a bunch of players that we’ve drafted who support that claim very strongly...many of them have very inspiring stories, many of them have had to overcome adversity, many of them are selfless. Many of them are religious. I could have listed more. If you’re going to try and disprove my claim then you need to list players who totally contradict all that. They have to be draftees and I explained why in a former comment. Good luck.

If you cannot disprove that claim, then it stands to reason that he will pick players with high character in this years draft as well. Sometimes talent can trump it all...but given that Smith and Chase are so close in skill...I don’t see that happening here.

We can agree to disagree on whether Chase qualifies as one of those high character kind of players that Grier likes. I know you don’t want to hear it, but many people would view sitting out as selfish. Many people would look at taking plays off as selfish. Many people don’t think selfishness is conducive to leadership. And we’ve seen selfishness want to abandon our team time and time before...that’s all I have to say about it.

Last edited:
Again...how bout thoughts on Humphrey at 18 guys? And if not Humphrey then who do you like? We all agree we need to address center this draft, right? I liked Dickerson but he’s just always injured...i also don’t want us to take all bama players. Need to be selective.

- I presented an argument that Grier highly values character in the draft. Can anyone disprove that claim? Please try. I listed a bunch of players that we’ve drafted who support that claim very strongly...many of them have very inspiring stories, many of them have had to overcome adversity, many of them are selfless. Many of them are religious. I could have listed more. If you’re going to try and disprove my claim then you need to list players who totally contradict all that. They have to be draftees and I explained why in a former comment. Good luck.

If you cannot disprove that claim, then it stands to reason that he will pick players with high character in this years draft as well. Sometimes talent can trump it all...but given that Smith and Chase are so close in skill...I don’t see that happening here.

We can agree to disagree on whether Chase qualifies as one of those high character kind of players that Grier likes. I know you don’t want to hear it, but many people would view sitting out as selfish. Many people would look at taking plays off as selfish. Many people don’t think selfishness is conducive to leadership. And we’ve seen selfishness want to abandon our team time and time before...that’s all I have to say about it.
I don't disagree with the fact that Grier drafts for character, though it looks like he missed the mark with Fitzpatrick. As for sitting out, I am not sure how I feel about that myself. How many are legit? When Covid passes or eases up does this keep happening? At what point is it about $ and not this disease?

Are we really not going to draft a Parsons if he is there at !8? We need an edge and Rousseau is sitting there? If Pitts and Chase are gone at 6 then Sewell is not an option? Just think this line of thinking could hurt us in the long run.

I also feel Chase is taking a lot more hits than the other opt out guys for whatever reasons, I am sure it is just here and because he is going head to head with the Bama boys.

Last edited:
Again...how bout thoughts on Humphrey at 18 guys? And if not Humphrey then who do you like? We all agree we need to address center this draft, right? I liked Dickerson but he’s just always injured...i also don’t want us to take all bama players. Need to be selective.
I think that is too high for Humphrey, I see him more at the 36 pick, really think we can get a top 3-4 C at 80. Depends on how the draft unfolds, Humphrey at 36, Dickerson or a Myers a little later or the kid from Division 2.

You also stated that Tua, Wilkins, Van Ginkel, Deiter, and Jackson were EXCELLENT selections. While I don’t question that any of these players are excellent in regards to their character. We are writing about the NFL on here. To me excellent players are players who are pro bowl caliber players on the playing field.
‘’While I do believe Tua will eventually be a pro bowl caliber player. I will be surprised if any of the other players listed are ever anything more than decent players in the NFL. You win in the NFL by having elite and above average talent on your team. That means that some of those players might not be Boy Scouts.
It appears you have a problem with players who opted out last year because of COVID and it is you who keeps bringing up that the best WR in college in 2019 takes plays off. I doubt that is a problem with Chase but if he did take a play off every once in a while. Perhaps it was because he was winded after
one of his long receptions. Yet you appear to be the only person that keeps bringing up these issues regarding Chase.

‘As an Agnostic, I really don’t care if a player is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or an Atheist. As long as they aren’t beating their wives, GF’s or children and not committing murder or serious crimes, I am not going to sit around and judge them if they don’t live up to your standards. I want the Dolphins to draft elite talent so they can win a SB and if some of those players with elite talent are not perfect characters in their early 20’s, so be it.

Here is part of the problem. The so called experts, who by all means know more than the posters here about a lot of this, also have a conflict of interest. It is highly in their favor to drum up debates of who is better and who is flawed. When there is an obvious choice of who is the best or that areas are really weak it doesn't create the drama the draft needs to be successful as a production. There was just an article on Trevor Lawrence that maybe he won't be that good because he doesn't play with a chip on his shoulder....these guys will say anything to get their articles read and the NFL wants you to believe there are 3 or 4 guys that are equal and we can't wait to see who will be the best.

The draft would be terrible if everyone just came out and said "yeah we have this guy (Chase, Waddle, Smith, whoever) who is clearly the best and whoever doesn't get him is getting a 2nd tier player so only watch the draft for these 2 picks or so and the rest are all average. Be aware of the conflicts of interest here.

Now having said that I'm not sure who ends up being picked 1st or the best out of those 3 wrs

In 2019, Chase had 84 receptions in 14 games. He gained 1788 yards for an average of over 20 yards a catch and he had 20 TD’s. If those are the stats of a player who takes plays off. Please give me a team of offensive players who take plays off and still put up these type of stats.

The whole notion that Chase takes plays off is nothing but BS. Those so called experts have no idea what they are talking about in regards to Chase taking plays off.
I respect your opinion but the proof is right there on film. I'm willing to bet Flores and Grier have noticed, and won't touch this kid. Cinncy is a good place for him.

I respect your opinion but the proof is right there on film. I'm willing to bet Flores and Grier have noticed, and won't touch this kid. Cinncy is a good place for him.
Exactly what proof are you referring to. You keep downgrading Chase but every mock draft has him going in the top 5-8 picks. I seriously doubt he would be rated as the best WR in the draft by many NFL organizations if they felt he was a player who was always taking plays off.

You are entitled to your opinion on Chase but I will still be extremely happy if the Dolphins select Chase with the 6th pick. I think the Bengals might select him because of Burrow but they could also select Sewell because OT is their biggest need. I expect the Falcons to select Pitts if they don’t trade out of the pick.

So it is very likely the Dolphins will have their pick of the top 3 WR’s at 6. Personally I would be happy with Smith, Waddle, or Chase at 6 and based on his size and great 2019 season, the Dolphins selecting Chase will not surprise me at all.

I think it also goes toward work ethic. Character could encompass that to some degree. Looking for players who you know will put in the effort and be NFL professionals.

What about him?

If we take him there, we should build a bonfire, construct two roasting spits large enough to hold Grier and Flores, and then play the season.

What about him?

If we take him there, we should build a bonfire, construct two roasting spits large enough to hold Grier and Flores, and then play the season.
You are 100% correct. Creed would be a nice selection with the pick at 50 but I would have to go out and buy a new TV if they draft him at 18. Because I have no doubt I would throw something through the TV screen if they draft Creed at 18. I actually like Dickerson more than Creed at center and I don’t think Dickerson should be drafted in the first round either.

For me personally, as long as one of the big 4 passcatchers gets their name called at #6, I'll be over the moon. Any one of them will absolutely make this offense so much more dynamic. All this hand-wringing and hair splitting just seems like a waste of time at this point. Jaylen and his game-breaking speed speed, Pitts and his freakish build, Chase and his explosive power, and Smith giving me Rice vibes.

Just fast-forward to the draft so I know which jersey to buy.

Back
Top Bottom