On Paper, Offense Could Be Good | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On Paper, Offense Could Be Good

So why get upset with someone who states that they think we won't be good (we most likely won't be good)

Well...I'm not "a blind homer"...but I do support the team and like the direction we are headed...I also believe the team was severely hamstrung last season and yet pulled off 6 wins....so there is reason to believe we won't digress.....

Also, I am not upset with anybody or their opinion....I just disagree and find it hard to believe anyone would think, based on the (on paper) improvements at QB...depth and experience at RB....added talent at TE...added talent at OL....added depth and experience at WR....and the coaching changes, that we would be at the bottom of the NFL on offense

I can understand the "wait and see" approach...or the "I've heard this before" approach based on our last few years...but some posters are so negative about everything we do it makes me wonder why they even bother to post or follow....

Anyway my friend, to each his/her own....

We scored the 17th most points in the NFL in 2016. That was after a pretty rough start and against a schedule of fairly tough defenses, too.

I think that if our starting quarterback is healthy for 16 games, the idea that we will be a bottom 10 scoring offense is a bit silly. Look at the offensive talent in 2016 vs 2018 and tell me?

QB: Same projected starter
TE: Jordan Cameron, Dion Sims and Marqueis Gray vs Mike Gesicki, Durham Smythe, and Marqueis Gray
WR: Devante Parker, Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills vs Devante Parker, Albert Wilson, Danny Amendola and Kenny Stills
RB: Arian Foster, Jay Ajayi and Damien Williams vs Kenyan Drake, Frank Gore, and Kalen Ballage
OL: Multiple games of Dallas Thomas, Jamil Douglas and Billy Turner vs anything else.

So essentially, you think our offense is going to be significantly worse in 2018? That means you think that in year three of a complex offense, the performance will be WORSE, despite a much better offensive line, because we lost Jordan Cameron and Jarvis Landry? I know it can't be because of Jay Ajayi, because our offense was demonstrably better with Kenyan Drake in the starting lineup in 2017.

I get that Landry was a very productive player for us for several years, but do you really feel that replacing Landry with Albert Wilson (who I like a lot) and Danny Amendola (good player, but injuries admittedly a concern) is going to tank our offense? I think that, at the very least, our offense will be decent. Not terrible. I personally think that we will be straight up better without Jarvis Landry and Mike Pouncey, but I understand that they were 'key' veterans on this team in 2016 and we don't know how their replacements will fare.

Not mentioned in all of this is a man I am very interested in this season, and that is Jakeem Grant. When he finally got opportunities on the field, he was dynamic, explosive, dangerous. If he is sprinkled into the mix, he will score a few touchdowns.

I'm struggling with "GRAND optimism." What about those of us who have plain ol optimism. Not 'top 5 scoring team' optimism, but better than last year optimism. There is a middle ground between pessimistic and blind optimism. I don't need Tannehill to be "transformed into Peyton Manning," nor do I need Parker to be All Pro. Actually, I don't need anything but players to play to talent level and the team as a whole to reduce mistakes. Neither are unreasonable, although both depend on good coaching (which I think will improve).

Like many here, I can list things that could go wrong and players who may disappoint. That's not homerism. I do find it interesting you can't bring yourself to say Miami made the playoffs - just "slightly worse than a middle of the pack in scoring offense." Grand optimism is unwarranted, but pessimism is warranted. It's all perspective.

This is a fair take. Like I said, I just see far too many questions marks to have any reasonable optimism. And I have no problem saying the 2016 team made the playoffs, but I sure as can't bring myself to say they were a good team though. Good teams don't have negative point differentials.

i dont see that- in quality or quantity. this o should be better than 2016. its our D that keeps me up....

we had way more talent in 2016. Way more.

I strongly disagree. WRs overall look about the same.Lost Landry's toughness but added more speed.Grant could be the wildcard in that group along with Parker playing as good or better than he did in 2016. TEs look to be more talented. QB is the same but somewhat of an unknown with Tannehill coming off the injury and not playing in so long .However I would bet that Tannehill will be as good as he was in 2016. Offensive line has more talent. RB: Drake just fits Gase's offense better than Ajayi did. Gore is a better player now than 2016 Foster was. Ballage has more talent than Williams. DE with Quinn and Hayes looks better overall. DT is worse without Suh but if they sign another veteran like Hankins it may help with the dropoff. LB if McMillan lives up to expectations along with the added speed from Anthony, Baker, and Garvin the LB corps should be better. The Secondary has a lot more talent than they did in 2016.

Well...I'm not "a blind homer"...but I do support the team and like the direction we are headed...I also believe the team was severely hamstrung last season and yet pulled off 6 wins....so there is reason to believe we won't digress.....

Also, I am not upset with anybody or their opinion....I just disagree and find it hard to believe anyone would think, based on the (on paper) improvements at QB...depth and experience at RB....added talent at TE...added talent at OL....added depth and experience at WR....and the coaching changes, that we would be at the bottom of the NFL on offense

I can understand the "wait and see" approach...or the "I've heard this before" approach based on our last few years...but some posters are so negative about everything we do it makes me wonder why they even bother to post or follow....

Anyway my friend, to each his/her own....

Well put me in the wait and see group. I just don't know how well Tannehill is going to do with his knee situation. Sometimes people don't bounce back from those injuries, plus he's going to be 30 on opening day. For a qb who relies on his mobility to be successful, his recovery from this knee injury is going to be extremely important.

I personally don't think Tannehill is a top QB in the league, I put him somewhere in the middle of the pack, so I think he will need to have a lot of good pieces around him to be successful, and I'm not sure we've built that kind of team for him.

Sometimes people don't bounce back from those injuries, plus he's going to be 30 on opening day. For a qb who relies on his mobility to be successful, his recovery from this knee injury is going to be extremely important.

I agree....Here's to hoping the team around him is exactly what's been missing....I believe he is more than capable

I strongly disagree. WRs overall look about the same.Lost Landry's toughness but added more speed.Grant could be the wildcard in that group along with Parker playing as good or better than he did in 2016. TEs look to be more talented. QB is the same but somewhat of an unknown with Tannehill coming off the injury and not playing in so long .However I would bet that Tannehill will be as good as he was in 2016. Offensive line has more talent. RB: Drake just fits Gase's offense better than Ajayi did. Gore is a better player now than 2016 Foster was. Ballage has more talent than Williams. DE with Quinn and Hayes looks better overall. DT is worse without Suh but if they sign another veteran like Hankins it may help with the dropoff. LB if McMillan lives up to expectations along with the added speed from Anthony, Baker, and Garvin the LB corps should be better. The Secondary has a lot more talent than they did in 2016.
sooo many if's, could's, and wildcards in your analysis. the 2016 offense led us to the playoffs. This offense will not.

sooo many if's, could's, and wildcards in your analysis. the 2016 offense led us to the playoffs. This offense will not.

Biggest if is Tannehill. Overall the talent on the roster is better and there is no argument to that. This team will make the playoffs in 2018,

This is a fair take. Like I said, I just see far too many questions marks to have any reasonable optimism. And I have no problem saying the 2016 team made the playoffs, but I sure as can't bring myself to say they were a good team though. Good teams don't have negative point differentials.

I have no problem saying 2008 the Miami Dolphins made the playoffs. But let's not forget the warts on that frog. And the false hope it caused not only the fan base, but blinded a FO and CS to reality.

2016 was a repeat of sorts in comparison to 2008. Funny it was Baltimore who were the ones to open some of our eyes to the deficiencies of both teams.

I don't see how anyone can say we had more talent in 2016. Other than Suh & Landry, every position has been upgraded. Reshad Jones only played in 6 games in 2016, Our #2 DT was also on IR that year and Godchaux was better as a rookie than Mitchell ever was in Miami.

Spencer Paysinger and Jelaney Jenkins were our starting OLB's after Misi went to IR after week 3.

Our DE's were Mario Williams, Jason Jones, Cam Wake and Andre Branch. Our 3rd DE (Hayes) is better than our starter in 2016 whether that be Williams or Branch.

Jordan Cameron had 60 yards on the season and Sims had 256/4.

Starting corners were Byron Maxwell and Tony Lippett. X Howard missed half the season. McCain was not good that year.

Branden Albert missed 4 games, Pouncey missed 11 games. Bushrod would be our #4 guard right now.

Carroo and Grant were our 4th and 5th WR's. They are now 5th and 6th if Carroo even makes the team.

Fitzpatrick will make everyone forget IAQ

This roster is leaps and bounds better and deeper than 2016. I give it about a 90% shot that we sign a FA DT in the next month to round the roster.

Don’t think we are there yet but should be much better. Expect to draft a WR high next year. Gesicki is fast but doesn’t change direction so well.

That's shocking considering his 20 yard shuttle time was quicker than
all tight ends and would have had the 3rd fastest time when compared to all running backs.

A better time than ROYCE FREEMAN,SONY MICHEL,SAQUON BARKLEY,NICK CHUBB,
and the list goes on and on.

Gesicki would have had the second fastest 20 yard shuttle of all safetys
the second fastest time of all linebackers

Gesicki's 3 cone drill was even more impressive
#1 time when compared to all running backs
#1 time for all tight ends
#2 for all linebackers

I think those numbers show a "decent" change of direction

I don't see how anyone can say we had more talent in 2016. Other than Suh & Landry, every position has been upgraded. Reshad Jones only played in 6 games in 2016, Our #2 DT was also on IR that year and Godchaux was better as a rookie than Mitchell ever was in Miami.

Spencer Paysinger and Jelaney Jenkins were our starting OLB's after Misi went to IR after week 3.

Our DE's were Mario Williams, Jason Jones, Cam Wake and Andre Branch. Our 3rd DE (Hayes) is better than our starter in 2016 whether that be Williams or Branch.

Jordan Cameron had 60 yards on the season and Sims had 256/4.

Starting corners were Byron Maxwell and Tony Lippett. X Howard missed half the season. McCain was not good that year.

Branden Albert missed 4 games, Pouncey missed 11 games. Bushrod would be our #4 guard right now.

Carroo and Grant were our 4th and 5th WR's. They are now 5th and 6th if Carroo even makes the team.

Fitzpatrick will make everyone forget IAQ

This roster is leaps and bounds better and deeper than 2016. I give it about a 90% shot that we sign a FA DT in the next month to round the roster.
this post is about offense, homey

Back
Top Bottom