On Paper, Offense Could Be Good | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On Paper, Offense Could Be Good

When you think of Ballage think of Terry Kirby. He has potential to be a good goal line back too - punch it in. And remember at ASU there was so much coaching and scheme turn over that he may really blossom under the right coaching. He seems to lack vision which likely is not coachable so he is more of change up runner. But with him you can split him out and create so many match up problems because of speed.
Interesting. I worked out with Terry Kirby, and he not only looked physical, he played it. That was one reason he was rated the #1 player in high school as a senior by the ratings services, and he went on to have a stellar career at the University of Virginia. I have not seen any film of Kalen Ballage having or displaying anywhere close to that kind of physicality, but I am excited to hear you make the comparison to Terry Kirby. If we get a player who even remotely produces close to Kirby, I will be thrilled.

I will say this as well, Kalen Ballage is faster than Terry Kirby, and if we are able to get our guards and Durham Smythe to open lanes on the perimeter, he could break some long runs. If nothing else, I'm excited to see how he does in the RB screen game, which seems to be coming back with the drafting of two TE's.

ESPN currently ranks Miami as the worst team in the NFL in their "power rankings" due to all the stars lost, and the NFL put them in 1 Thursday night game for prime time that's it. Nobody out there is looking at the Dolphins. Week 7 or 8 I hope people out there are saying, "who are these guys?" The potential is there, but the potential for a 4-12 record is also there. There are a whole lot of unknowns on this team. Should be interesting.
I don't believe Miami will be better than an 8-8 team there are just too many questions on that Interior D-line. They are primed to be run all over. That 5 game losing streak exposed them in the run game. It's looking worse for 2018. I'm not comfortable with look of that interior just yet. Every mock draft I've seen for 2019 has Miami in the top 5. I can see that.

Gase for the most part is an excellent game planner. Having all the players available to game plan against opposing schemes and players is almost complete. I agree about Parker. If we can take the top off the defense with long scores, then the slot machine starts paying out bigly.
Stills can do that too, but Parker needs to be more than a over rated decoy. He must make some plays to make the defense account for him, if not fear him.

What's crazy to me is the addition of a nice TE "alone" would have made a difference in this offense.

I think playoffs are quite possible of 17 stays healthy if they find a way to stop the run which is a major concern. Top 5 pick if he’s out for the season. I’m glad they didn’t deal next year’s number one in some ill conceived idea. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that as next year’s qbs don’t look great. Drew Lock? Looks like just a guy.

I think we have more depth on the back half of the roster. We do need some blue chip players to emerge. Guys like Tunsil, Drake, Harris and, who knows, maybe even Parker could take a step forward. That’s what we need. Impact. I suspect we will be light on toughness too. We got rid of probably our two most physically tough players.

I really hope this team has done enough to address the O-line. So much depends on them getting their jobs done.

My only real concern is how Miami does against the run. I guess that's a pretty big concern, actually. But, if the offense finally takes off in year three of Adam Gase at least the defense will be fresher. Plus, teams will hopefully have to pass against the Dolphins to come from behind! Looks like the defense is set up for that with pass rushers and what should be better speed and coverage.

You are exactly right in your concern. I actually cannot imagine how in the world we will be able to stop anyone from running on us. We lost Suh and actually got smaller at LB. We have clearly set the defense up to defend the pass, but thats not going to help when teams run on us all game long. If we ever lose the lead it could be trouble.

And on offense, our receiving core really is not what I would consider good. We are avg at best, although I think as a unit we will be better than our individual pieces.

Parker hasn't shown up in 3* years but for some reason you guys think it is MORE LIKELY that he performs than doesn't? That's what is being implied here.

I understand the need to be hopeful, but while having a positive attitude will greatly benefit you in your own life, having unrealistic expectations for people/team that you have no control over, doesn't change your results...

More than likely, Parker has another average year... Amendola and the dude from KC should end up being a bit less than what Landry did for us... adding the new TE who could potentially be good, might even us out.

We have seemingly improved on the OL, but knows if Tunsil and Davis get better, if James gets injured again, if the new center is as solid as being made out to be... Sitton should be good, hopefully. Lots of question marks on the OL.

Tannehill will be a step up from Cutler if he has no mental or physical hang up from his injury... again, another question mark.

We know Drake is solid, we know that Frank Gore was once excellent.

So basically we have question marks with LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE OFFENSIVE UNIT going into the season. Same as every year since Marino. Not feeling negative at all, just being realistically optimistic... threads like this one, which just continually just pat the team on the back end up stemming to the "I would be surprised if we did worse than 10-6 next year" threads and then the vicious cycle of 75% of this message board having a meltdown by midseason.

Rinse. Repeat.

tumblr_m8zkkmgWlM1reoo5oo1_500.gif

I feel like we say this every year. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not too expectant of much help from a rookie TE.

And what's with all this talk that Balllage is a great short yardage back? I feel like a lot of reports I've seen on him are that he's way too finese for his size and stutter steps in the backfield too much. Not what you want for short yardage/goal line.

Last edited:
Interesting. I worked out with Terry Kirby, and he not only looked physical, he played it. That was one reason he was rated the #1 player in high school as a senior by the ratings services, and he went on to have a stellar career at the University of Virginia. I have not seen any film of Kalen Ballage having or displaying anywhere close to that kind of physicality, but I am excited to hear you make the comparison to Terry Kirby. If we get a player who even remotely produces close to Kirby, I will be thrilled.

I will say this as well, Kalen Ballage is faster than Terry Kirby, and if we are able to get our guards and Durham Smythe to open lanes on the perimeter, he could break some long runs. If nothing else, I'm excited to see how he does in the RB screen game, which seems to be coming back with the drafting of two TE's.

I think that it is so cool that you trained with Kirby.

He seems like a tremendous person and athlete.

I think Ballage looks like Kirby when catching - tall and long and smooth and fast and powerful.

Wilson, Gesicki, Grant, Amendola, Stills and even Smythe and Parker have potential as a group to be scary

big upgrade in speed and professionalism. the only downside is it might take a while to get these parts meshing

I think that it is so cool that you trained with Kirby.

He seems like a tremendous person and athlete.

I think Ballage looks like Kirby when catching - tall and long and smooth and fast and powerful.
Thanks! Yes, Terry Kirby was a very nice and approachable person, as was Chris Slade. Those are the types of athletes that we always hope to get, talented players and even better people.

Back
Top Bottom