On Paper, Offense Could Be Good | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On Paper, Offense Could Be Good

“...but we all know that games aren’t played on paper; they’re played by little men inside our TV sets.” - Kenny Mayne.

Last edited:
I don't really see why people keep mentioning barnage as the short yardage back, that's what gore is for this year I thought. im confident with him getting the 2-3 yards. other than highlights I know nothing about the rookie. I just hope we don't get cute and try to run the wildcat with him.....or hmmmm Tannehill out wide, Barnage taking the snap, Grant going in motion...hmmm just maybe I wouldn't care if we ran it once or twice in a NON CRUCIAL situation

i'd pony up 1k

I think yessir became nosir....

Hard to believe anyone would think this new team will regress this season...doesn't make one bit of sense on paper or otherwise...bring out your stats...algorithms...charts....YouTube videos ...whatever

Sometimes just seems like there has to be antagonists regardless....IMO...If you are a FAN of a team it seems you would try to support and find hope...otherwise why bother following the team or it's forum?

Hard to believe anyone would think this new team will regress this season...doesn't make one bit of sense on paper or otherwise...bring out your stats...algorithms...charts....YouTube videos ...whatever

Sometimes just seems like there has to be antagonists regardless....IMO...If you are a FAN of a team it seems you would try to support and find hope...otherwise why bother following the team or it's forum?
He is always like that....just ignore it......some people are happier being miserable.

You are exactly right in your concern. I actually cannot imagine how in the world we will be able to stop anyone from running on us. We lost Suh and actually got smaller at LB. We have clearly set the defense up to defend the pass, but thats not going to help when teams run on us all game long. If we ever lose the lead it could be trouble.

And on offense, our receiving core really is not what I would consider good. We are avg at best, although I think as a unit we will be better than our individual pieces.

I was very surprised that Miami didn't draft a defensive tackle. Maybe the front office has a plan B there for after June 1 cuts, but from my vantage point I think the team is really going to miss Suh. The contract was terrible, but the player demanded double teams and still produced.

I view Phillips as a rotational guy, but I think the coaching staff is counting on him taking his game to the next level. I think the DT group on this team is below average as it currently stands.

Also, I think fans would feel better about the Baker pick if Suh was still on the team.

I actually think the wide receiver group could be pretty good, though. More speed there, more chances for big plays. If Parker doesn't emerge, Miami will look to draft another potential number one there.

I am really optimistic about the offense, but yes stopping the run looks like an issue.

There is a difference between being a blind homer and hoping we're good vs the reality that this team would have to overachieve in order to not be terrible this season. We are projected to finish in the bottom 5 of the NFL by pretty much anyone with an outsider perspective. So why get upset with someone who states that they think we won't be good (we most likely won't be good)

Lol. I’m sorry, but this is going to be a bottom 10 scoring offense.

I hear you dude, and admire your balls for posting that but honestly this is like pissing against the wind right now on here. It's the same after every draft, this place is always optimist central in the days that follow, it's only when the games have started that reality has set in in the recent past. Who knows this may be the one off season to buck the trend. They've certainly got a window in the division, an aging Brady, Jets probably 2 years or more away after giving up a lot to get to 3 to get their future QB and the Bills still very much in retooling mode also with a questionable QB choice.

On paper though to me, I'm far from impressed, think our WR group, once our strength could be a huge weakness, an unproven line, young TEs which could be boom or bust, I'm more confident in the backs but an injury to Drake would kill us, then there is Tannehill, who knows what we will get from the circa 2018 version, since things rarely pan out the way we suspect, perhaps everything will lock into place, who knows.

I hear you dude, and admire your balls for posting that but honestly this is like pissing against the wind right now on here. It's the same after every draft, this place is always optimist central in the days that follow, it's only when the games have started that reality has set in in the recent past. Who knows this may be the one off season to buck the trend. They've certainly got a window in the division, an aging Brady, Jets probably 2 years or more away after giving up a lot to get to 3 to get their future QB and the Bills still very much in retooling mode also with a questionable QB choice.

On paper though to me, I'm far from impressed, think our WR group, once our strength could be a huge weakness, an unproven line, young TEs which could be boom or bust, I'm more confident in the backs but an injury to Drake would kill us, then there is Tannehill, who knows what we will get from the circa 2018 version, since things rarely pan out the way we suspect, perhaps everything will lock into place, who knows.

I'm always amazed at these lists. Not you personally, but there seem to be some who see all potentials as bad - unproven OL, TEs, blah, blah. OTOH, there are those who see all potentials as falling Miami's way - Parker will break out, McMillan will ball out, blah, blah. Every honest person knows the truth is in the middle. Some of these variables will fall Miami's way, some won't.

Yes, this is the season of hope, but not just Miami. Four teams took a R1 QB. All of them have the next PManning. Barkley's going to run for 1500 yds. All injured players will come back better than before. That's human nature. Personally, I see the team as better - faster, more disciplined, more talented. I see ~8 wins. Other than DT, units seem better or no worse. The two variables people don't seem to address are Gase and his play-calling, and the first 4-5 games.

As for "on paper," Leaf and Ghoulston looked better on paper, so, as you say, who knows. Comes down to mindset. Nothing wrong with being optimistic as long as it's in the same county as reality.

Lol if I'm perceived to be an "antagonist who would rather be miserable" because I'm not getting down with the groupthink off-season optimism, I'll be that.

People on here slander Mike Tannenbaum to no end, but somehow still find a way to conjure up this grand optimism and I'm like LMAO??? That's called being a "blind ass fan" as Orlando Alzguary coined the term.

I personally see the team struggling to score points unless Devante Parker displays Demaryius Thomas type dominance and consistency (hell I'll take Alshon Jeffrey at this point), and Ryan Tannehill, who hasn't played a snap since Dec. 2016, transformed into Peyton Manning in his hiatus. I'd love for those things to happen, but it ain't likely lol.

Let's put it like this. Ryan Tannehill had one of his most efficient years in 2016, Landry had his best year, And Ajayi had some historically great performances, killing opposing defenses with yards after contact, and we had a favorable schedule. Yet we just managed to finish slightly worse than a middle of the pack scoring offense in the 2016 regular season.

I'm sorry if I'm not convinced that Kansas City's 4th wide receiver replacing Jarvis Landry, Sitton at LG, and a couple rookie tight ends going to make a world of difference. Would love to be wrong, but I've seen this story before. And I ain't buying it.

Last edited:
it's exciting that for first time in Tannehill era, we have FOUR guys that create potential matchup problems in our receiving corps:

Stills, Grant, Amendola, Gesicki

couple that with what should be an improved line and RB stable, and we have a lot of reason to be optimistic.

Now just need RT to be healthy and we could be there offensively.

Last edited:
Lol if I'm perceived to be an "antagonist who would rather be miserable" because I'm not getting down with the groupthink off-season optimism, I'll be that.

People on here slander Mike Tannenbaum to no end, but somehow still find a way to conjure up this grand optimism and I'm like LMAO??? That's called being a "blind *** fan" as Orlando Alzguary coined the term.

I personally see the team struggling to score points unless Devante Parker displays Demaryius Thomas type dominance and consistency (hell I'll take Alshon Jeffrey at this point), and Ryan Tannehill, who hasn't played a snap since Dec. 2016, transformed into Peyton Manning in his hiatus. I'd love for those things to happen, but it ain't likely lol.

Let's put it like this. Ryan Tannehill had one of his most efficient years in 2016, Landry had his best year, And Ajayi had some historically great performances, killing opposing defenses with yards after contact, and we had a favorable schedule, we just managed to finish slightly worse than a middle of the pack in scoring offense.

I'm sorry if I'm not convinced that Kansas City's 4th wide receiver replacing Jarvis Landry, Sitton at LG, and a couple rookie tight ends going to make a world of difference. Would love to be wrong, but I've seen this story before. And I ain't buying it.

I'm struggling with "GRAND optimism." What about those of us who have plain ol optimism. Not 'top 5 scoring team' optimism, but better than last year optimism. There is a middle ground between pessimistic and blind optimism. I don't need Tannehill to be "transformed into Peyton Manning," nor do I need Parker to be All Pro. Actually, I don't need anything but players to play to talent level and the team as a whole to reduce mistakes. Neither are unreasonable, although both depend on good coaching (which I think will improve).

Like many here, I can list things that could go wrong and players who may disappoint. That's not homerism. I do find it interesting you can't bring yourself to say Miami made the playoffs - just "slightly worse than a middle of the pack in scoring offense." Grand optimism is unwarranted, but pessimism is warranted. It's all perspective.

On paper means ****. Don’t care what on paper says.

Stills, Parker, Wilson, Amendola are a good WR corps. Grant can be a weapon and the rookie TE can be highly useful. But until they all play together and we’ll its all talk.

Let’s get thru TC and preseason at least before we start getting hyped.

Back
Top Bottom