O'Shea Fired | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

O'Shea Fired

Dear Brian Flores,

At the beginning of the season, I thought you didn't know your butthole from a hole in the ground. You worked hard to change my position. That said, you do not have the luxury of taking a step back after your step forward this season.

giphy.gif

Caldwell might be who Flores is looking at but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he promotes Karl Dorrell to OC. Dorrell has done an outstanding job as the WR coach and he was previously the head coach at UCLA and has experience as an OC, though not at the NFL level.
Of course Flores could be looking outside the current staff to fill the OC position as well as the other positions which are now open. Personally I thought O’Shea did a good job considering what he was working with but Flores is the HC and obviously he didn’t see the job O’Shea did the same way I saw it.

I thought O’Shea called great games during the 2nd half of the season. He had the team prepared and they played great situational ball. I don’t think this move was based on his play calling or preparation.

I don’t think is was based on personnel reasons - coaches disagree on personnel anywhere you go and they still get along great. Personnel disagreements are normal and expected, and HC always gets final say so it’s a non issue.

I also don’t think you fire a coach just to keep or attract another coach (rumors are the QB coach or the LSU OC) - and this was definitely a firing. A HC can’t turn his back on his staff like that, especially when the coach was performing well. It’s a big risk for Flores and could make him look bad if he doesn’t have his coordinators back

Bottlom line: I think Flores fired him because they just didn’t get along. No conspiracy theories, they just didn’t get along and it was unhealthy for the culture. And this was a firing, not a “mutually agreed to part ways” thing. Flores didn’t want O'Shea on the team and he didn’t need any post-season time to consider it further.

Silver lining: we now have a decisive coach who isn’t afraid to make tough or unpopular decisions. Our last 4 head coaches were extremely stubborn with keeping underperforming staff/players. Flores moves quick and doesn’t second guess.

Caldwell might be who Flores is looking at but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he promotes Karl Dorrell to OC. Dorrell has done an outstanding job as the WR coach and he was previously the head coach at UCLA and has experience as an OC, though not at the NFL level.
Of course Flores could be looking outside the current staff to fill the OC position as well as the other positions which are now open. Personally I thought O’Shea did a good job considering what he was working with but Flores is the HC and obviously he didn’t see the job O’Shea did the same way I saw it.
I think it's going to be the quarterback coach

Wow that O with very little talent, got better and better throughout the year, even after losing it top wideout (at the time), all it's RBs and with zero talent on the line. I don't understand this move but Flores has done enough this season to earn our trust that he knows what he is doing and has a plan.

Logically this makes sense and so by that same logic this tells you this move goes beyond performance.

Dear Brian Flores,

At the beginning of the season, I thought you didn't know your butthole from a hole in the ground. You worked hard to change my position. That said, you do not have the luxury of taking a step back after your step forward this season.

View attachment 35509

How do you know he's taking a step back?
How do you know anything at this stage?

I thought O’Shea called great games during the 2nd half of the season. He had the team prepared and they played great situational ball. I don’t think this move was based on his play calling or preparation.

I don’t think is was based on personnel reasons - coaches disagree on personnel anywhere you go and they still get along great. Personnel disagreements are normal and expected, and HC always gets final say so it’s a non issue.

I also don’t think you fire a coach just to keep or attract another coach (rumors are the QB coach or the LSU OC) - and this was definitely a firing. A HC can’t turn his back on his staff like that, especially when the coach was performing well. It’s a big risk for Flores and could make him look bad if he doesn’t have his coordinators back

Bottlom line: I think Flores fired him because they just didn’t get along. No conspiracy theories, they just didn’t get along and it was unhealthy for the culture. And this was a firing, not a “mutually agreed to part ways” thing. Flores didn’t want O'Shea on the team and he didn’t need any post-season time to consider it further.

Silver lining: we now have a decisive coach who isn’t afraid to make tough or unpopular decisions. Our last 4 head coaches were extremely stubborn with keeping underperforming staff/players. Flores moves quick and doesn’t second guess.

I don't quite agree with your full logic here.
Those two spent quite sometime in NE before this marriage here.
I'd like to think you know if you like your partner before deciding to bring that person to Miami with you.
Moreover, if you have a disagreement sure it's something that can be worked out 1 year into the arrangment.

I am surprised. With what he had to work with, O'Shea didnt do a bad job. Gesicki and Parker had career year, Fitz was as good as he has ever been, but the lack of a decent running back hurt.

Will be interesting to see who comes in.

well the odd thing to me is if the QB coach is so coveted why wasn’t he the OC to begin with?
NFL coaching is a very small world. The NE "tree" is very very very small.

The whole idea is based on another NE coordinator leaving to take a HC position. schuplinsky would be invaluable to someone intending on running the NE scheme.

That puts Flores in the position of having to make a choice.

If this is true, it sucks, but it is what it is.

I don't quite agree with your full logic here.
Those two spent quite sometime in NE before this marriage here.
I'd like to think you know if you like your partner before deciding to bring that person to Miami with you.
Moreover, if you have a disagreement sure it's something that can be worked out 1 year into the arrangment.

They were on the same team, but opposite sides of the ball. They didn’t game plan or make decisions together. Knowing each other vs working together are very different relationships.

They were on the same team, but opposite sides of the ball. They didn’t game plan or make decisions together. Knowing each other vs working together are very different relationships.

Come on....Same team but opposite sides of the ball?
Lol...the opposite sides were Boston and Miami...
They didn't sit in meetings together? Conferences? Trips? Outings etc?

So Flores just randomly selects a guy to be his OC that he had no relationship with?
Just a guy he sees across the field?
Hey you! Come and be my OC and we'll see how the relationship thing works out later!

Back
Top Bottom