Our new offensive line | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new offensive line

It seems like the collective opinion of message boards, twitter, national media, and self-proclaimed evaluators should compare very little to collective teams of NFL scouts that do nothing else but evaluate these players. People react way too emotionally to the Mel Kiper Jr's of the world rankings and how our draft picks rank in "value," to his lists.

Wasn't Mayock part of the national media for a long time before now being a GM? What makes him qualified now that made him unqualified then?

Mike Mayock has 24 professional scouts working under him. He makes the final pick, but draft boards are built by professional scouting departments.

If this is our "new" line, then we're going to get Tua killed for certain. Jackson is a 1st rounder, but he's at least a year away. Hunt may never be NFL caliber, IMHO. We're banking on one good year from Flowers, but he looks to be our best returning OL. Davis is probably our most reliable ... wow, that's scary stuff.

I honestly cannot believe we spent a 1st, 2nd, and 4th on OL, and will have zero new starters in 2020, and may not even have improved our OL. It's an absolutely horrible OL draft. I have hope for Jackson, but he's a down-the-road guy. Kindley can play, but he's not dominant, and he's the 4th rounder. Hunt ... I think was a bad pick . Ugh.

While some teams continue to build solid OL, the Miami Dolphins continue to throw draft picks away along the OL.
They drafted Olinemen that fit the scheme. Hunt was a steal where we got him and will be tried at RT before getting kicked to RG if need be. Jackson works on technique and he will be a beast for a long long time. Dieter may actually beat karras out at center. They are big, nasty and can punish defenders in the run game straight ahead which what our O will he all about with a quick passing game. Jordon Howard fits this also. Those top elite tackles everyone wanted to move up and get % indicate 2.5 of them wont be worth a first round pick so I will take the 2 we drafted without moving up over the 1 "sure thing" we could maybe of had at a pretty steep price to boot.

With the additions of Austin Jackson (6'5" 322), Robert Hunt (6'5" 323), and Solomon Kindley (6'3" 337) in the draft, combined with the free-agent acquisitions of Karras (6'4" 300) and Flowers (6'6" 330), and the very steady Jessie Davis (6'6" 321) we have definitely got a type. So my question is, how do we shuffle them? Do players like Deiter, Calhoun, Davenport, and Isidora have roles?

Personally, I think we keep Davis at Right Tackle, put Hunt at Right Guard, Karras at Center (obviously), Flowers at Left Guard, and Jackson at Left Tackle

LT: Jackson / isidora
Lg: Flowers / Kindley
Cc: Karras / Deiter
Rg: Hunt / Calhoun
RT: Davis / Davenport

Do we have enough depth? Who stands to be cut? Is my lineup feasible, or should we swap Davis and Hunt?
I love what they did also. Hunt ls getting tried out at tackle first.

Mike Mayock has 24 professional scouts working under him. He makes the final pick, but draft boards are built by professional scouting departments.

And what schooling did each of those scout take to learn how to do it? How did they start in the field? Asking for a friend.

My point is, drafting and scouting in general is a subjective, opinionated and "feel" profession mixed with a bit of luck, sometimes analytics, and personal relationships. You can look at the qualifications of a Doctor, Lawyer, Investment Banker, Educator, Scientist, Computer Programmer, etc. but this field is a little different. If Mayock didn't have his public media forum to express his breakdown and opinion of players, he never would have landed that job......but it didn't make him any less qualified. To add to it, Mayock hired media analyst Nolan Nawrocki to be a scout for him.

I know nothing about the backgrounds of some national media members or website writers....but i like reading their rankings and views of players. I know nothing about what Slimm and J-Off do in their career lives but thoroughly enjoy their player evals and rankings.....same with the debates with CK, Hoops, Chambers and the rest of the regular names i see and respect on here. How do i know any of them are any less qualified than Greg Reuveni or Tom Bradway on the Raiders staff?

We've swung and missed on far too many OL in the past 20 years for me to feel excited right now about our haul. Much like a guy who doesn't believe he's the father...I'll wait for the results.
I do not disagree. But this draft gives me the most hope.
I think Tua redshirts. Ready for 2021.
I think Jackson and the 3 OL draftees are much progressed by 2021.
Plus other draftees and UDFAs and 2021 draft guys.
2021 is the year.

It seems like the collective opinion of message boards, twitter, national media, and self-proclaimed evaluators should compare very little to collective teams of NFL scouts that do nothing else but evaluate these players. People react way too emotionally to the Mel Kiper Jr's of the world rankings and how our draft picks rank in "value," to his lists.

Where exactly was I emotional?

And I don't follow Mel Kiper. Yes, pro teams SHOULD know more but they don't always act like it. Look no further than perennial cellar dwellers.

They drafted Olinemen that fit the scheme. Hunt was a steal where we got him and will be tried at RT before getting kicked to RG if need be. Jackson works on technique and he will be a beast for a long long time. Dieter may actually beat karras out at center. They are big, nasty and can punish defenders in the run game straight ahead which what our O will he all about with a quick passing game. Jordon Howard fits this also. Those top elite tackles everyone wanted to move up and get % indicate 2.5 of them wont be worth a first round pick so I will take the 2 we drafted without moving up over the 1 "sure thing" we could maybe of had at a pretty steep price to boot.
Let's both hope you're right. And if not ... well don't be surprised. I don't hold the glowing expectations for those guys that you hold.

I do agree we picked up a decent RB tandem for very little, so that's encouraging.

after almost a decade of watching old washed up guys like colombo, fat out of shape slobs like john jerry, idiots who cant recognize a blitz like dallas thomas and guys who are straight up physically and mentally weak like jonathon martin not protect the qb i dont think this group can be worse than what weve trotted out there for any year of tannys time here

The finesse zone blocking scheme and guys philbin wanted to run it sucked, ive always wanted big mauling bohemoths on the line instead of the wimps with nifty footwork as they get pushed back 10 yards...i want the nastiest dudes in the trenches

I would’ve liked a but more OT certainty but they made an investment.
After being able to hold at #5 for Tua (great job), I just would’ve preferred going after Becton or Wills with the sweet spot being 8/9th pick. Aren’t the Jags tanking?

Once that fell through I would’ve pivoted away from OT#5 with pick#18

Let's both hope you're right. And if not ... well don't be surprised. I don't hold the glowing expectations for those guys that you hold.

I do agree we picked up a decent RB tandem for very little, so that's encouraging.

You build a great O-line...then you worry about dropping in a stud rookie RB on a 4-5 year rookie deal

Run game should be a slobber knocker in our division and we should do well pretty fast in that aspect of the game the pass protection is questionable but chan gailey can fix that with getting the ball out quick RPO style offense. Ya, hopefully but they are big and nasty at least.

With the additions of Austin Jackson (6'5" 322), Robert Hunt (6'5" 323), and Solomon Kindley (6'3" 337) in the draft, combined with the free-agent acquisitions of Karras (6'4" 300) and Flowers (6'6" 330), aKindnd the very steady Jessie Davis (6'6" 321) we have definitely got a type. So my question is, how do we shuffle them? Do players like Deiter, Calhoun, Davenport, and Isidora have roles?

Personally, I think we keep Davis at Right Tackle, put Hunt at Right Guard, Karras at Center (obviously), Flowers at Left Guard, and Jackson at Left Tackle

Do we have enough depth? Who stands to be cut? Is my lineup feasible, or should we swap Davis and Hunt?
I can see
With the additions of Austin Jackson (6'5" 322), Robert Hunt (6'5" 323), and Solomon Kindley (6'3" 337) in the draft, combined with the free-agent acquisitions of Karras (6'4" 300) and Flowers (6'6" 330), and the very steady Jessie Davis (6'6" 321) we have definitely got a type. So my question is, how do we shuffle them? Do players like Deiter, Calhoun, Davenport, and Isidora have roles?

I can see Kindley starting at RG and Hunt starting at RT by then end of the season. I am completely pumped to see this line take the field.

Kindley played pivot at Georgia too? Hmm that might be your active gameday interior depth option for center and both guard spots.

Didn’t know he had pivot experience.

Back
Top Bottom