Our new offensive line | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new offensive line

Starting line up looks pretty good. Sooooo much better than what we had. Next year we just need a RT (possibly a center if Karras doesn’t workout) and the rebuilt OL will be complete

Considering who will probably be starting at QB next year, not only will we need a R-tackle if niether Hunt and Davis pan out in that position, but he better be at the very least, a very good pass-blocker.

Miami throws darts at OL.
This was very easy to predict- should’ve been prepared that OT5 was a reach at #18.
Austin Jackson was the wrong pick.
Take Ruiz. OC1. Take the day 1 starter.
Either Ruiz or Karras plays Guard.
Once OT1-4 were gone - go get Trent Williams or wait for Rd2-3.

Can't say I disagree with this. They spent a 3rd (78) on Deiter last year and thought so much of him they gave Flowers $10M per year. They extended Jesse Davis because they liked him so much and then turned around and drafted Hunt at 39 and Kindley at 111. I am not confident that our 2nd and 5th round OL'men will be any better than our last years 3rd.

The they spent 70 on a safety who was not that highly rated. I will not condemn them this early but there were some head-scratchers in this draft. I HOPE they are right.

This will come down to how some of those other linemen perform in the NFL because we passed on quite a few.

Cesar Ruiz at 24
Isaiah Wilson at 29
Ezra Cleveland at 58
Damien Lewis at 69
Josh Jones at 72 (two spots after Brandon Jones)
Jonah Jackson at 75
Matt Hennessy at 78
Lloyd Cushenberry at 83
Lucas Niang at 96
Matt Peart at 99
John Simpson at 109
Logan Stenberg at 121

Miami throws darts at OL.
This was very easy to predict- should’ve been prepared that OT5 was a reach at #18.
Austin Jackson was the wrong pick.
Take Ruiz. OC1. Take the day 1 starter.
Either Ruiz or Karras plays Guard.
Once OT1-4 were gone - go get Trent Williams or wait for Rd2-3.

nah. One of karras or Ruiz was gonna have to play guard in that scenario. They properly prioritized the left tackle with high level upside when they didnt have a incumbent starting caliber option at 18.

like they should relative to the board. Now if you want to tell me that they could have gotten Jackson at 26 ehh maybe. I didn’t feel so confident about that and it became obvious on day 2 that they were higher on Robert Hunt (right guard ideal fit imo) than the rest of the league probably was. And folks can save the other teams called miami about Hunt bit. Teams might have called miami about trading the pick but they weren’t telling miami who they were coming for lol. That justification being tossed out there is bogus.

As for Hunt I’m hearing how he was the top og in the class. Maybe but let’s not act like it wasn’t a bad guard class to begin with and if wirfs was considered more tackle than guard ideal (I have my reservations on that being the case) in a class chalk full of average and meh at guard whoopie.

Maybe miami stole one there considering the inability to work out at the combine or senior bowl and the low level comp radar wise. They better have top 40

nah. One of karras or Ruiz was gonna have to play guard in that scenario. They properly prioritized the left tackle with high level upside when they didnt have a incumbent starting caliber option at 18.

like they should relative to the board. Now if you want to tell me that they could have gotten Jackson at 26 ehh maybe. I didn’t feel so confident about that and it became obvious on day 2 that they were higher on Robert Hunt (right guard ideal fit imo) than the rest of the league probably was. And folks can save the other teams called miami about Hunt bit. Teams might have called miami about trading the pick but they weren’t telling miami who they were coming for lol. That justification being tossed out there is bogus.

As for Hunt I’m hearing how he was the top og in the class. Maybe but let’s not act like it wasn’t a bad guard class to begin with and if wirfs was considered more tackle than guard ideal (I have my reservations on that being the case) in a class chalk full of average and meh at guard whoopie.

Maybe miami stole one there considering the inability to work out at the combine or senior bowl and the low level comp radar wise. They better have top 40

Too much of a projection for my liking with a premium pick. I see your point t regarding need and definite upside- and you can take shots with 14 picks.
I would’ve gone different direction.
I wasn’t thrilled with the Austin Jackson and Rakweon Davis picks.

The more I reflect on the OL work we did and match that to what we previously acquired

I'm optimistic -- tho we have to live with the fact we targeted upside rather than scramble

and burn draft ammo (trading way up) to fill a need day 1. The big question IMO will be Hunt

@RT vs. G. But we can start him inside and do what we did with Tunsil. We DO HAVE OPTIONS!

The big kid from UGA is a solid pick IMO and will have an NFL career. So going into '21

good chance we still look OT and...(get me greedy humphrey too!) I'm OK pigging out OL

and making sure we're top shelf upfront before going hog wild elsewhere! So I'm looking

at OL as a 2 year plan (fully expecting Tua redshirt).

Can't say I disagree with this. They spent a 3rd (78) on Deiter last year and thought so much of him they gave Flowers $10M per year. They extended Jesse Davis because they liked him so much and then turned around and drafted Hunt at 39 and Kindley at 111. I am not confident that our 2nd and 5th round OL'men will be any better than our last years 3rd.

The they spent 70 on a safety who was not that highly rated. I will not condemn them this early but there were some head-scratchers in this draft. I HOPE they are right.

This will come down to how some of those other linemen perform in the NFL because we passed on quite a few.

Cesar Ruiz at 24
Isaiah Wilson at 29
Ezra Cleveland at 58
Damien Lewis at 69
Josh Jones at 72 (two spots after Brandon Jones)
Jonah Jackson at 75
Matt Hennessy at 78
Lloyd Cushenberry at 83
Lucas Niang at 96
Matt Peart at 99
John Simpson at 109
Logan Stenberg at 121

If you went to any draft and compared the players picked to players left on the board then checked after the season for results of course your going to find a few Gems we missed out on, Hell if any GM were that good they'd be in the superbowl every year.

I think the more fair thing to do is to pick a maybe 3 players you think were better then the picks we made at that spot and put your name to it.. Then at the end of the year if your wrong we can ridicule you about your football accumen later.

If you went to any draft and compared the players picked to players left on the board then checked after the season for results of course your going to find a few Gems we missed out on, Hell if any GM were that good they'd be in the superbowl every year.

I think the more fair thing to do is to pick a maybe 3 players you think were better then the picks we made at that spot and put your name to it.. Then at the end of the year if your wrong we can ridicule you about your football accumen later.

Need a thread having people reveal who they would have taken 'instead of' and have a freshness date. Maybe May 2nd. No waiting til Jan '21

I'm not trying to convince anyone that I am a scout. There are enough of the self proclaimed "evaluators" around. They're on message boards, twitter, national media etc. There are also some evaluators around that I follow and respect because of their success & history. All I am pointing out is that according to a collective opinion, some of the picks Miami made were considered to be reaches or head scratchers. By the same token, some were also really good value in later rounds.

Time will tell. I still have legitimate skepticism about Miami's talent evaluations. Especially at OL. History has proven it.

It seems like the collective opinion of message boards, twitter, national media, and self-proclaimed evaluators should compare very little to collective teams of NFL scouts that do nothing else but evaluate these players. People react way too emotionally to the Mel Kiper Jr's of the world rankings and how our draft picks rank in "value," to his lists.

I like the 1st part - not the 2nd part.

Why must it always be ridicule? Why can't it just be a honest debate understanding of where you hit/missed? Maybe a little debate as to why, what you saw in the NFL that you missed in college tape?

Even the best GMs and scouts miss A LOT. Look at draft histories.....littered with busts on those drafted and success stories of UDFA or Day 3 picks.

Back
Top Bottom