Our new offensive line | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new offensive line

I'd be shocked... flabbergasted...

I think he gets cut.
If he does it's because one or more of the newcomers looks good!

Because we currently have Jesse Davis G/T and Julien Davenport T.

That's it, except for someone named Adam Pankey.

(Even then I think he sticks as a back up tackle).

If he does it's because one or more of the newcomers looks good!

Because we currently have Jesse Davis G/T and Julien Davenport T.

That's it, except for someone named Adam Pankey.

(Even then I think he sticks as a back up tackle).

We'll keep three tackles on the active roster. I think they'll be Jackson, Hunt, and Davis.

If Davis or Hunt bumps to Guard, then I suspect the third tackle may be a UDFA... Davenport was just terrible. Possibly the worst Tackle we've ever had.

But I'll never say never. Maybe he'll improve... I just doubt it.

It's a crap shoot who can play at the next level. The Dolphins took a shotgun approach l, which I applaud, in order to find a couple OL that stick and the others will be out of the league before their rookie contract is up.

So, your logic is that Gase who had 1 good season got 3 years but didn't pan out, went to the Jets, hasn't panned out, and now Ross is going to think that the current coach with less production deserves more time before determining whether to keep him? Not sure I share that logic.

IMHO, Coach Flo needs to start showing results now in 2020. He failed the tank, but still got arguably one of the two best QB's in the draft, had more draft capital than any other team, and IMHO, needs to show either production (wins) or promise (rookies performing well) in 2020. Remember, we still have almost as much draft capital for 2021 as we just spent in the 2020 draft. Any GM would love to come in and spend that, so Ross would get his pick of GM and likely young star coach. We do not have those draft picks in 2022, so the time to replace these guys will be after the 2021 season unless they've shown reason to believe in them.

Did you see the garbage Flores had for players last season? Yet he won 5 of the last 9 including in Foxboro in a most win situation for the Pat's? By all accounts that was a great coaching job. He isn't even sniffing a hot seat anytime soon. That's just an insane thought. Let's see how the next couple years play out before we even begin to go down that road.

Jackson's the only pick I'm worried about.
It's a crap shoot who can play at the next level. The Dolphins took a shotgun approach l, which I applaud, in order to find a couple OL that stick and the others will be out of the league before their rookie contract is up.
Exactly, nothing's guaranteed in the draft. Tua could turn into Mariota 2.0 and get hurt every time someone hits him, Austin Jackson, who got abused by AJ Espenesa when they played could stonewall him twice a season for the next decade. The drafts a crapshoot, throw darts and hope some of them stick.

You keep saying this like if you repeat it enough it will become true.

We traded Tunsil for 2 first round picks and a second round pick

If you are going to mischaracterize the trade over and over again, at least wait until we've gotten over half of what's coming to us.

Exactly...And what if (I know, a huge what if), considering Jackson's age, he by 2021 or 2022 starts playing LT as well as Tunsel was before he was traded.

Two 1st round picks and a 2nd is a lot of capital for a team that is rebuilding.

Did you see the garbage Flores had for players last season? Yet he won 5 of the last 9 including in Foxboro in a most win situation for the Pat's? By all accounts that was a great coaching job. He isn't even sniffing a hot seat anytime soon. That's just an insane thought. Let's see how the next couple years play out before we even begin to go down that road.
This isn't the same argument. I'm going to assume you agree that your previous statement was incorrect.

To address your current argument, well, the team had talent when he inherited it, but he got rid of everyone who could play. That's how we cleared cap space to get the FA's he will have in 2020, and the draft picks to give us taleent in 2020. It's a zero-sum game here friend. He inherited a team and tore it down to the ground and sold everything in the team for future assets. In 2020, his assets from both the failed 2019 season and the newly buffed 2020 season will be on the field. He will be expected to win. Hey, he could have left the veterans there and simply added the normal amount of rookies and less free agents. It was his choice to blow it up, so he will be judged by the results.

It's a risk to blow it up. You are given a bit of a free pass the first year, but by year two you need to show massive turnaround ... and his clock is ticking, just like every other coach in the NFL's clock is ticking. Teams that go 14-2 do not hire new coaches. Teams that go 2-14 do. It's the coaches job to turn things around, and usually they are given 2-3 years to accomplish that. Gase had a good season early, so he earned an extra year ... but eventually he was unable to produce a consistent winner, and he was let go. Coach Flo chose to blow things up ... his first season was a failure with a silver lining ... but it was still a failure. His second season he will be expected to go at least 9-7, and the hope is that he can equal Gase's 10 win season. If not ... all bets are off.

This isn't the same argument. I'm going to assume you agree that your previous statement was incorrect.

To address your current argument, well, the team had talent when he inherited it, but he got rid of everyone who could play. That's how we cleared cap space to get the FA's he will have in 2020, and the draft picks to give us taleent in 2020. It's a zero-sum game here friend. He inherited a team and tore it down to the ground and sold everything in the team for future assets. In 2020, his assets from both the failed 2019 season and the newly buffed 2020 season will be on the field. He will be expected to win. Hey, he could have left the veterans there and simply added the normal amount of rookies and less free agents. It was his choice to blow it up, so he will be judged by the results.

It's a risk to blow it up. You are given a bit of a free pass the first year, but by year two you need to show massive turnaround ... and his clock is ticking, just like every other coach in the NFL's clock is ticking. Teams that go 14-2 do not hire new coaches. Teams that go 2-14 do. It's the coaches job to turn things around, and usually they are given 2-3 years to accomplish that. Gase had a good season early, so he earned an extra year ... but eventually he was unable to produce a consistent winner, and he was let go. Coach Flo chose to blow things up ... his first season was a failure with a silver lining ... but it was still a failure. His second season he will be expected to go at least 9-7, and the hope is that he can equal Gase's 10 win season. If not ... all bets are off.
My understanding was he was given a 5 year contract to blow up the team and then in 3 years become competitive. I didn't think he inherited much talent last year as those teams continually produced average success. The best two players were traded. The rest let go or traded for low round draft picks. That's not a lot of talent. They got more for a OT and S than they got for a QB, DE, and RB. Poor talent level. Now is year 2 with a young team, are they really suppose to win 10 games? I thought maybe 8 to 9 tops. Anything else is gravy. Next year I expect 10 or more game wins. That when I think the clock starts.

It's my understanding that he wanted Tunsil here, then Houston went full retard (2 ones and a two for him and Stills).

Then Minkah (who we also wanted to build around) got sand in his vagina.

It wasn't a deliberate effort to divest ourselves of those two players.

My understanding was he was given a 5 year contract to blow up the team and then in 3 years become competitive. I didn't think he inherited much talent last year as those teams continually produced average success. The best two players were traded. The rest let go or traded for low round draft picks. That's not a lot of talent. They got more for a OT and S than they got for a QB, DE, and RB. Poor talent level. Now is year 2 with a young team, are they really suppose to win 10 games? I thought maybe 8 to 9 tops. Anything else is gravy. Next year I expect 10 or more game wins. That when I think the clock starts.
It is my understanding as well. But as we all know ... a 5 year contract doesn't mean you have 5 years to show success. The plan definitely was to blow the team up, and we did. But the plan also was for a massive turnaround by year 2 and by year 3 to be building a juggernaut. After year 2, I'm confident that Ross will assess the situation and make a decision. Either that decision is to continue backing Coach Flo and GM Grier, or if he feels that they are squandering draft picks and not turning the team around fast enough, he may decide to show them the door and let the large cache of draft picks accumulated for 2021 to be spent by a different GM, who can bring in his own coach.

That's just how the NFL works. It's not a "promises-kept" type of league. It's a "what have you done for me lately" type of league. Take a look at Don Shula, he only had 1 losing season EVER, yet when he started putting in 9-7 and 10-4 years, and Huizinga saw the shiny new thing in the bright, successful and younger Jimmy Johnson, he dumped Shula. The thought was that the game had passed Sula by ... despite him constantly pumping out winning seasons. It's not a forgiving league.

Last edited:
If this is our "new" line, then we're going to get Tua killed for certain. Jackson is a 1st rounder, but he's at least a year away. Hunt may never be NFL caliber, IMHO. We're banking on one good year from Flowers, but he looks to be our best returning OL. Davis is probably our most reliable ... wow, that's scary stuff.

I honestly cannot believe we spent a 1st, 2nd, and 4th on OL, and will have zero new starters in 2020, and may not even have improved our OL. It's an absolutely horrible OL draft. I have hope for Jackson, but he's a down-the-road guy. Kindley can play, but he's not dominant, and he's the 4th rounder. Hunt ... I think was a bad pick . Ugh.

While some teams continue to build solid OL, the Miami Dolphins continue to throw draft picks away along the OL.

So what’s your basis for you analysis? Hunt and Kindley were dominant, albeit Hunt played lesser competition, but was dominant in college. Jackson was progressing well, and then he gave his sister bone marrow and his recovery impacted his play... maybe they don’t pan out, it can happen for sure, but I just don’t see your evaluation of how terrible these guys are, and while many analysts have said these guys may be a year out, all have discussed how high a ceiling these picks have

If this is our "new" line, then we're going to get Tua killed for certain. Jackson is a 1st rounder, but he's at least a year away. Hunt may never be NFL caliber, IMHO. We're banking on one good year from Flowers, but he looks to be our best returning OL. Davis is probably our most reliable ... wow, that's scary stuff.

I honestly cannot believe we spent a 1st, 2nd, and 4th on OL, and will have zero new starters in 2020, and may not even have improved our OL. It's an absolutely horrible OL draft. I have hope for Jackson, but he's a down-the-road guy. Kindley can play, but he's not dominant, and he's the 4th rounder. Hunt ... I think was a bad pick . Ugh.

While some teams continue to build solid OL, the Miami Dolphins continue to throw draft picks away along the OL.

So what’s your basis for you analysis? Hunt and Kindley were dominant, albeit Hunt played lesser competition, but was dominant in college. Jackson was progressing well, and then he gave his sister bone marrow and his recovery impacted his play... maybe they don’t pan out, it can happen for sure, but I just don’t see your evaluation of how terrible these guys are, and while many analysts have said these guys may be a year out, all have discussed how high a ceiling these picks have

So were you expecting NFL draft picks to just be mediocre? Most of them were dominant at the collegiate level. If they weren't .... why would they be drafted?

(You might want to delete the earlier reply, a server hiccup resulted in your double-posting).

Back
Top Bottom