Pass Rusher Melvin Ingram visiting Dolphins | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pass Rusher Melvin Ingram visiting Dolphins

I'd be shocked if he takes a "one year prove it deal" He is at the tail end of his career and he is going to try to cash out. If our recent history has shown anything, aging veterans don't stick around here long and I'm sure the agents and players know that. If he signed a 1-year deal here or even a 2 year with us having an out next year he will be 33 and no team is going to sign him to a lengthy substantial deal at that point. He has to come to the realization his career is just about over. Someone will probably sign him to a 3-year deal and overpay based on his past, that's what he's looking for but we're not going to do that. The days of paying for a name on the backend of their career are over around here...

At this stage outside of money who the hell wants to go to Houston? The DW drama hasn’t even kicked into full gear yet.

At least you have a better chance of making the playoffs with Miami at this stage then Houston.

Although he does have a ring with the Eagles.
.....Justin Houston

Not the Houston Texans

I just hope we don't start seeing FloCo use voidable years for players like this. I don't like that trend.

All the defensive players Flo and Grier brought in last couple years worked out.
If we sign him,I have confidential he will work out as well.

We would have signed him yesterday if he was gonna be a Dolphin.

No Ingram, sorry folks

I'd be shocked if he takes a "one year prove it deal" He is at the tail end of his career and he is going to try to cash out. If our recent history has shown anything, aging veterans don't stick around here long and I'm sure the agents and players know that. If he signed a 1-year deal here or even a 2 year with us having an out next year he will be 33 and no team is going to sign him to a lengthy substantial deal at that point. He has to come to the realization his career is just about over. Someone will probably sign him to a 3-year deal and overpay based on his past, that's what he's looking for but we're not going to do that. The days of paying for a name on the backend of their career are over around here...
I’d be shocked if he gets a multi year deal..

He might not have too much of a choice, though. Maybe an incentive based contracts based on certain production numbers. That money, to my understanding, would go toward the next years' cap. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works. So, perhaps a small base salary that can reach $7-8 million with performance bonuses?

He might not have too much of a choice, though. Maybe an incentive based contracts based on certain production numbers. That money, to my understanding, would go toward the next years' cap. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works. So, perhaps a small base salary that can reach $7-8 million with performance bonuses?
Yeah, it may take a bit to sort through the teams but in the end, that may be the best he can get. He'll have to come to grips with that...

I thought it was the other way around. Teams have to hold money in current year for obtainable incentives. But I could be completely wrong.

I thought it was the other way around. Teams have to hold money in current year for obtainable incentives. But I could be completely wrong.
I'll see if I can find out. I'm really not 100 percent sure.

From NFL Salary Cap FAQ's...

If the player does not earn a LTBE Incentive, then the amount of the incentive ($100K in our example) will be credited against the following year's Salary Cap and the team would have $100K in additional Cap space in the following year. ... If those are earned, they are charged to the following year's Salary Cap.

FA of his situation, they mainly looking for these two things, money or winning. The fact that he have not signed with KC, it tells me he is looking for big contract. So forget it. Unless he has a change of heart and take a club friendly deal.

Back
Top Bottom