Patrick Devlin, our other franchise QB? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patrick Devlin, our other franchise QB?

If Devlin has really improved as much as people are saying, the loser of Garrard/Moore becomes expendable.  

I don't know about being a franchise QB but the kid keeps sticking around despite being 4th on the depth chart and getting sent to the practice squad last season. He has to be improving or you would think he would have been sent out the door at the end of last season.

I would bet if he has improved substantially from last season he would make Moore or Garrard expendable once a clear cut winner is established this pre-season. I could see a scenario where Devlin is listed as the 3rd string QB and Moore or Garrard is moved/cut.

Before we anoint him as a franchise qb, let's see if he can get any higher than 4th string. He went undrafted for a reason, folks.

I know all the expert competitive athletes on this board are going to get all bent out of shape, but I believe Devlin gives us the best chance to win this year. He has the poise, hunger, accuracy, decision making, abliity to move the ball without turning it over, smarts and competitive leadership, and is a proven winner with a winning spirit, and the body of work/stats to prove it; he just needs to get a fair chance. We must at least keep Devlin on the roster (not PS) this year, as we have two young quarterbacks who could be our franchise. Moore and Garrard are moot right now. Who knows, Tannehill might turn out just to be anohter Henne or gunslinger without the intangibles it takes to be a winning quarterback. Don't be surprised to see Devlin as our starter before the end of the season after Garrard gets us nowhere. Tannehill can have plenty of time to develop. You can laugh all you want, but WAIT AND SEE, remember you heard it here first.

Lol.. Love the sarcasm!!!

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Devlin sucks.

Still a developmental project of sorts, but coming along. He's got a nice compact and quick release and is accurate. The knock on him was arm strength, but he's improved that considerably this year.

there were a few people touting him last offseason. that being said I could see him as our 3rd.

He will be replaced by our next practice squad QB next year.

I doubt we'll even see him in preseason.
I don't know about being a franchise QB but the kid keeps sticking around despite being 4th on the depth chart and getting sent to the practice squad last season. He has to be improving or you would think he would have been sent out the door at the end of last season.

I would bet if he has improved substantially from last season he would make Moore or Garrard expendable once a clear cut winner is established this pre-season. I could see a scenario where Devlin is listed as the 3rd string QB and Moore or Garrard is moved/cut.

I actually think the staff may consider keeping 4 QB's to start the season. Devlin would get poached this year, without question.
At some point the Garrard / Moore loser will get cut or traded, and we can resign the #53 player(likely a back up or ST player) that was cut to make room for him.
Devlin may be more valuable to the team in the long run than the 4th team TE or OT...etc
I would like to see more of Devlin, and let's hold off anointing anyone. Let RT and Devlin compete for the job going forward.

He will be replaced by our next practice squad QB next year.

I doubt we'll even see him in preseason.
Why wouldn't we see him in preseason?? You can imagine that Garrard and Moore will only see limited action in the first half, then why not have Tannehill and Devlin split the 2nd half/

Alex Marvez was actually raving yesterday about how well Devlin was doing and how smart he is. Also said he could make Matt Moore expadable via trade at the end of the preseason.

If Marvez said all those nice things, makes me think Devlin isn't very good or smart. Marvez is a dimwit.

Still a developmental project of sorts, but coming along. He's got a nice compact and quick release and is accurate. The knock on him was arm strength, but he's improved that considerably this year.

Arm strength is overrated. We won the division with Pennington, and his arm can't possibly be that weak.

I actually think the staff may consider keeping 4 QB's to start the season. Devlin would get poached this year, without question.
At some point the Garrard / Moore loser will get cut or traded, and we can resign the #53 player(likely a back up or ST player) that was cut to make room for him.
Devlin may be more valuable to the team in the long run than the 4th team TE or OT...etc
I would like to see more of Devlin, and let's hold off anointing anyone. Let RT and Devlin compete for the job going forward.
Don't think we keep 4 QBs and 6 WRs, which a lot of people have been saying for a while now.

I know a lot of people expect every player we have that doesn't make the roster get poached before they make it to the practice squad but how likely is a team that went 6-10 going to have players poached? Devlin is the only player that may get poached IMO but let's not forget that he wasn't even drafted so every GM out there, save for the new ones in Indy, St. Louis and maybe one other, passed on this guy in the draft and didn't even look his way last year when he spent the entire season on the practice squad.

Arm strength is overrated. We won the division with Pennington, and his arm can't possibly be that weak.

Devlin must have attached a couple more power bands to the arm...lol. The guy has got decent stats coming out of college. We should not love or hate the guy. Let's just see what he brings to the party and not prejudge. I definitely want to see him play.

Don't think we keep 4 QBs and 6 WRs, which a lot of people have been saying for a while now.

I know a lot of people expect every player we have that doesn't make the roster get poached before they make it to the practice squad but how likely is a team that went 6-10 going to have players poached? Devlin is the only player that may get poached IMO but let's not forget that he wasn't even drafted so every GM out there, save for the new ones in Indy, St. Louis and maybe one other, passed on this guy in the draft and didn't even look his way last year when he spent the entire season on the practice squad.

Brady was a 6th round pick, so mistakes can happen. Some guys take longer to develop. Devlin may be a "late bloomer" or a swan..lol
There are a few teams with shaky QB situations(Arizona, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, etc) due to injury already (and we have not even started the preseason) that might bring him in. If we(the staff) believe this guy can play in the NFL, it would be foolish to cut him over a backup in a position that can be easily filled. QB is not an easy position to fill..IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom