Patrick Devlin, our other franchise QB? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patrick Devlin, our other franchise QB?

I like Devlin, always have. He was slated to go to Miami until Dan Werner was let go....so he ended up at Penn State, where his family had gone. A Miami coach at one of his HS games said he was STUD, one of the best HS QBs he'd seen in years. I think Devlin was told he'd get a fair shot at winning the job at Penn State and when it didn't seem like he was (eventhough he played well in limited time) he went to Delaware.

Devlin's strengths are his accuracy, quick release and smarts. The kid studies a ton a tape and just knows football. He spent time with Mayock, who was impressed with Devlin's knowledge of the game. The 2 things that have always held him back are his arm strength and pocket presence (takes too many sacks). By all accounts, the arm strength is improving so i could definitely see him having a long-term career as a backup to Tannehill in Miami, unless he gets a crack at some playing time and proves he can do more. But i'd love to keep him hear if at all possible.

Before we anoint him as a franchise qb, let's see if he can get any higher than 4th string. He went undrafted for a reason, folks.

He went undrafted because he made a stupid mistake right before draft day.. Nothing to do with ability as he would of gone in the 2nd/3rd round

He took 5 snaps in preseason last year. Philbin will use the preseason to determine the starter. That meanshe will not allow Devlin to take snaps away from guys who are still competing for a starting spot. Thats wny we wont see him in preseaosn.
Why wouldn't we see him in preseason?? You can imagine that Garrard and Moore will only see limited action in the first half, then why not have Tannehill and Devlin split the 2nd half/

Him being late and out of shape and playing like crap during his pro day had nothing to do with it? Had he not gone undrafted no chance he would have been drafted before the 5th round. Likely 6th.
He went undrafted because he made a stupid mistake right before draft day.. Nothing to do with ability as he would of gone in the 2nd/3rd round

I like Devlin, always have. He was slated to go to Miami until Dan Werner was let go....so he ended up at Penn State, where his family had gone. A Miami coach at one of his HS games said he was STUD, one of the best HS QBs he'd seen in years. I think Devlin was told he'd get a fair shot at winning the job at Penn State and when it didn't seem like he was (eventhough he played well in limited time) he went to Delaware.

Devlin's strengths are his accuracy, quick release and smarts. The kid studies a ton a tape and just knows football. He spent time with Mayock, who was impressed with Devlin's knowledge of the game. The 2 things that have always held him back are his arm strength and pocket presence (takes too many sacks). By all accounts, the arm strength is improving so i could definitely see him having a long-term career as a backup to Tannehill in Miami, unless he gets a crack at some playing time and proves he can do more. But i'd love to keep him hear if at all possible.

My thoughts exactly. I love the kid. Keep him here and if he's improved, Miami goes from NO QB to having NO QB PROBLEMS for the foreseeable future with Tannehill and Devlin. It makes too much sense just my opinion.

Pat Devlin=Matt Flynn

take it how you want

I would have agreed more last year having seen him throw and being unimpressed, but apparently he throws a WAY better ball this year, and I have no idea how or why. But it's good to hear. Kind of like hearing about Bess being faster this year, which is great but confusing after watching his slowness for four years. More power to both of them.

He took 5 snaps in preseason last year. Philbin will use the preseason to determine the starter. That means he will not allow Devlin to take snaps away from guys who are still competing for a starting spot. Thats wny we wont see him in preseaosn.

I think the competition between Garrard and Moore is taking away valuable pre-season and practice time, and is ultimately going to prove a waste of time. I understand why they are doing it, but the real qb competition that matters ought to be between Devlin and Tannehill. To win we must move forward and be willing to risk losing, otherwise we remain at mediocrity.

I hope Devlin never starts in a Miami Dolphin uniform, not that I have anything against the guy but if he actually gets a chance to start then it probably means that Tannehill didn't pan out very well.

The best that Devlin can hope for these next 3 years is a backup spot, and he knows that.

And I doubt Devlin will get any time in the pre-season because first off the competition doesn't involve him whatsoever, he doesn't need any snaps because there's no reason for him to get them. Secondly, the minute we give him pre-season time and he does end up showing some stuff then we just lost our practice squad QB because I doubt he'd stay there for long.

could you also share the winning Powerball numbers for the upcoming Saturday's drawing please?

If Devin is soooo good like everyone on here believes, why can't he escape the practice squad? When Miami dumps Garrard, Devlin probably won't even get called up.

If Devin is soooo good like everyone on here believes, why can't he escape the practice squad? When Miami dumps Garrard, Devlin probably won't even get called up.

Have you not read the training camp reports this year? The guy is looking very good, definitely improved from last year. But it's still against the 3's on defense, his best hope right now is to be a backup, there's no rush for him right now. Why carry 4 QBs when you can put Devlin on the PS and have another player on the 53 man roster?

Him being late and out of shape and playing like crap during his pro day had nothing to do with it? Had he not gone undrafted no chance he would have been drafted before the 5th round. Likely 6th.

That was the mistake I was referring to. He was a 2nd rounder on most peoples watch before he screwed up at his pro day.

Devlin was set to be the #1 overall selection in the 2011 UFL draft, but refused to sign the mandatory contract before the draft.

Have you not read the training camp reports this year? The guy is looking very good, definitely improved from last year. But it's still against the 3's on defense, his best hope right now is to be a backup, there's no rush for him right now. Why carry 4 QBs when you can put Devlin on the PS and have another player on the 53 man roster?

They shouldn't carry 4 QB's, but if Devlin has upside, why hold onto the Garrard/Moore loser unless the staff thinks Tannehill is nowhere near ready to play if needed?

Back
Top Bottom