Patrick Devlin, our other franchise QB? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patrick Devlin, our other franchise QB?

They shouldn't carry 4 QB's, but if Devlin has upside, why hold onto the Garrard/Moore loser unless the staff thinks Tannehill is nowhere near ready to play if needed?

I'm not really sure what the reason will be of the Dolphins keep both Garrard and Moore, maybe they like having them both for veteran experience for Tannehill and Devlin. They might end up trading or releasing one of them, I'm not sure, but as of now Devlin is a PS QB and there's really no point in having him play in the pre-season.

Pat Devlin franchise QB? This message board is priceless sometimes.

HQpyM-1.gif

They shouldn't carry 4 QB's, but if Devlin has upside, why hold onto the Garrard/Moore loser unless the staff thinks Tannehill is nowhere near ready to play if needed?

I will tell you why. Because if you start David Garrard, who has a bad back, what are you going to do then if Moore has been traded or cut and Garrard cant play? Thats right, youre going to shove Tannehill in there, which I dont have a problem with, but for those of you who claim he shouldnt start till he's "ready" then you need another vet who can go in there are start. That is not PAT DEVLIN.

I will tell you what happens if they cut Pat Devlin..... NOTHING. If they need another clip board holder, they can go sign someone off the street. The 3rd string QB, unless it were someone like Tannehill, is nothing more than an emergency situation player. If were ever forced into action, the team would go out and sign a vet the next day to come in and play next week. Pat Devlin has little to no value to the team. He is not going to be a consideration when it comes to making roster moves.

I will tell you what they should do though is simply cut Garrard, start Tannehill or Moore, and let the other be the backup. Simple as that.

But, if you start Garrard because you feel Tannehill isnt ready, you have to keep Moore around in case Garrard goes down with that back of his.

Pat Devlin is easily replaceable.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Pat Devlin franchise QB? This message board is priceless sometimes.

HQpyM-1.gif

Its amazing really. Pat Devlin.... :lol:

I would have agreed more last year having seen him throw and being unimpressed, but apparently he throws a WAY better ball this year, and I have no idea how or why. But it's good to hear. Kind of like hearing about Bess being faster this year, which is great but confusing after watching his slowness for four years. More power to both of them.
Maybe better coaching is getting the best out of these players when before the may have been held back. That should account for something.

i have been singing his praises since March of last year. The kid reminds me of Chad Pennington so much. He is very accurate and smart. He will be playing with Chris Hogan, Julius Pruit and Lamar Miller when he is in there. Those players will make some plays so he will really look good. UI predict he will outplay at least 2 of the other QBs in camp.

i was at practice wed night, and Devlin looked pretty darn good. he was poised, had solid passes, seemed to have a handle on the offense, and did well during the situational periods. To ignore or overlook this kid would be an error for the coaches in my opinion.

Keep Moore and Devlin: try to flip the guy who happens to be one hard hit away from being in traction and may be worth more at this point on the basis of TC than he's been over the last 3 years.

I will tell you why. Because if you start David Garrard, who has a bad back, what are you going to do then if Moore has been traded or cut and Garrard cant play? Thats right, youre going to shove Tannehill in there, which I dont have a problem with, but for those of you who claim he shouldnt start till he's "ready" then you need another vet who can go in there are start. That is not PAT DEVLIN.

I will tell you what happens if they cut Pat Devlin..... NOTHING. If they need another clip board holder, they can go sign someone off the street. The 3rd string QB, unless it were someone like Tannehill, is nothing more than an emergency situation player. If were ever forced into action, the team would go out and sign a vet the next day to come in and play next week. Pat Devlin has little to no value to the team. He is not going to be a consideration when it comes to making roster moves.

I will tell you what they should do though is simply cut Garrard, start Tannehill or Moore, and let the other be the backup. Simple as that.

But, if you start Garrard because you feel Tannehill isnt ready, you have to keep Moore around in case Garrard goes down with that back of his.

Pat Devlin is easily replaceable.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Well right, I say cut the Garrard/Moore loser IF Tannehill is close to ready and IF Devlin has upside. Sounds like you don't think he does.

Pat Devlin is easily replaceable.---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Most 3rd and 4th QB's are.

If Tannehill is the 2nd best QB on the roster when the season starts, why keep Moore. Devlin is much younger and a better fit for the WCO and Miami owns his rights for 2-3 more years with minimal salary commitment. In spite of Garrards back situation, He's still out performing Moore. Moore is expendable IMHO.

He set the Pennsylvania high school career passing yards record with 8,162. Now at 24 yrs old, coming in at 6 ft 4 and 222 lbs, Pat sure does look the part on the surface having all the measurables you would want in a quarterback. Being highly touted entering college, Pat decided to stay in-state and attend Penn State. Having redshirted in 2006, and seeing limited time in 2007, Pat's bulk of action with the Nittany Lions came in 2008. Playing in all but 10 games, and amassing for 459 total passing yards with 4 touchdowns and no interceptions, Devlin, in a reason not known to me, decided to transfer to the University of Delaware in 2009. In two seasons he threw for 5,696 passing yards, 38 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. In 2011 he entered the NFL draft but failed to be selected. The Dolphins picked him up as a unrestricted free agent, released him, and subsequently was resigned and placed on the practice squad.

Enter 2012, and from all credible sources we might actually have another gem on the roster. They say he's soaking up a ton of knowledge (from a competent staff) in training camp and retaining it rather well. And from all signs it's translating out on the practice field. So how does this effect things? Is he in the QB competition running at all? Should he be? Does he make Moore or Garrard expendable? How should we approach the situation?

IrelandFacepalm-1.png

WV,

It would be pure WIN if somebody could make an animated GIF out of that facepalm scene with Ireland from Hard Knocks.

Back
Top Bottom