PFN Mock Draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFN Mock Draft

I made one trade with GB.

53. Siaki Ika NT Baylor
75. Jack Campbell MLB Iowa
101. Zach Harrison edge Ohio State
131. Roschon Johnson RB Texas
165. Jaylon Jones CB Texas A&M

Was looking to find a corner earlier, but just thought better players were available. Also, wanted to get some offensive line help.

I kind of doubt Ika falls that far, but I thought that could really help the defense. Imagine Wilkins, Ika and Seiler in the middle?

Anyway, a fun process. Thoughts?
Love Love Love the Ika and Johnson picks. Absolute homerun for Miami. Johnson is as tough a runner as they come. And Ika, was a man amongst boys. Paul Soliai type build.

Last edited:
Love Love Love the Ika and Johnson picks. Absolute homerun for Miami. Johnson is as tough a runner as they come. And Ika, was a man amongst boys. Paul Soliai type build.
Big guys that can move like Ika go fast. I think he could be a 1st rounder.

Johnson is my sleeper back, but I think he's the type that can get those tough yards on his own.

One of the most interesting things I've heard McDaniel say this year is that pass rushers/defensive ends are his favorite position. Something to that affect.

I'm sure he saw first hand how valuable those guys were in SF. I'll be interested to see how that plays out in this draft.

I feel like Miami's main issues are mostly adding depth and maybe finding a starting LB and TE.

Big guys that can move like Ika go fast. I think he could be a 1st rounder.

Johnson is my sleeper back, but I think he's the type that can get those tough yards on his own.

One of the most interesting things I've heard McDaniel say this year is that pass rushers/defensive ends are his favorite position. Something to that affect.

I'm sure he saw first hand how valuable those guys were in SF. I'll be interested to see how that plays out in this draft.

I feel like Miami's main issues are mostly adding depth and maybe finding a starting LB and TE.
Depending on who can return from injury, Miami had depth. But just not the 4th and 5th string types, who played the majority of the year, after Needham and Jones went down. I like the Ika pick because Miami will eventually need to start replacing some of the guys.

Depending on who can return from injury, Miami had depth. But just not the 4th and 5th string types, who played the majority of the year, after Needham and Jones went down. I like the Ika pick because Miami will eventually need to start replacing some of the guys.
Right. Keep hitting on those draft picks, especially with the cap getting more difficult for Miami.

Looking more at the TE'S, that could be where the Dolphins go in round two. Lots of talent that I think matches what McDaniel is looking for and likely an instant starter.

Again, I just don't know what Miami has in some of the tight ends currently on the roster (Long etc.).

Ask yourself this. How did Miami's TE's go from a strength two years ago under Flores/Gailey to an after thought under McDaniel; who fazed out the position all together. I'm not sure the TE's were ever a problem. Perhaps misused? But hey what do I know. McDaniel and his system or misuse of Miami's TE's and RB's in the pass game has created the issue. If Miami drafts a TE early, instead of a LB or DB isnt that going to be an injustice. When Miami may have not had to, if the TE's were used correctly. Here's another question; Miami had one of the better run defense in the league this year. Phillips, Wilkins and Sieler all ranked in the top 15 at their position. Baker is an excellent pass rusher when used in that role. But in this defense, he's used as a MLB in the 3/4. While I agree a MLB is needed, why wasn't the pass rush better? Both McDaniel and Boyer are responsible. They never seemed to put all of their players in their best position to succeed. It was a three man offense with Tua, Waddle and Hill. On defense it was a complete mess. In the three games Miami held their opponent under 300 yards; the common denominators were sound tackling and being assignment sound.

My point here is, why is TE all of a sudden the top priority, come draft day? I can understand if Mike Gesicki leaves, which I'm expecting. But isnt the issues more about coaching than the players? Perception isnt always reality. I love your draft board. It addresses the now and future, with solid players.
That is the question isn't it? I really expected Gesicki to have a fantastic year with the focus on Hill and Waddle. I think it's a fair assumption that Gesicki won't return. I'd be shocked if he did.

I still don't know if Long is a player or not. Smythe is decent in his role. Is McDaniel looking for a blocking first tight end? What is his vision at the tight end position?

I think corner is another potential need. The secondary was bad this year, although I agree with you that depth was really tested beyond second and third team players.

I know we say this every year, but I really think we need to trade down from that second round pick. There is alot of talent in rounds 3, 4 and 5, and we could use as many shots as possible to find talent. I really like doubling up on LB if possible.

I know we say this every year, but I really think we need to trade down from that second round pick. There is alot of talent in rounds 3, 4 and 5, and we could use as many shots as possible to find talent. I really like doubling up on LB if possible.

I like the Cincy LB Ivan Pace Jr in the third round.

Needing an OT and CB so badly I just can't see a trade down in this draft. More likely a trade up to snag someone who fell into round 2.

We're going to have enough cap space to find a couple LB's in FA. I don't know that finding a CB or OT is a possibility in free agency.

I like the Cincy LB Ivan Pace Jr in the third round.

Needing an OT and CB so badly I just can't see a trade down in this draft. More likely a trade up to snag someone who fell into round 2.

We're going to have enough cap space to find a couple LB's in FA. I don't know that finding a CB or OT is a possibility in free agency.
I think that is why we need to trade down, just too many spots needing multiple picks. We will probably only hit on half of them, so try to improve the odds.

IMO, we need to overhaul the LB spot, so need at least 2, either via draft or FA.

We need multiple spots on the oline. Id like a true center so we can move whatshisname to guard. Definitely a tackle to either start or at least as depth.

We need a cover corner (I like the kid from miami as a press corner, would work well with our scheme.) And probably a safety or another corner.

I'd love to see us finally draft a stud RB, but it looks like that will have to wait. Same as TE, they seem like luxury picks compared to our other needs.

Oh, and damn, I wish we had a pick to spend on a late round QB.

I hope youre right about our cap space for FA. I think they can free up some room, but I dont see us having a TON of space even if we do.

That is the question isn't it? I really expected Gesicki to have a fantastic year with the focus on Hill and Waddle. I think it's a fair assumption that Gesicki won't return. I'd be shocked if he did.

I still don't know if Long is a player or not. Smythe is decent in his role. Is McDaniel looking for a blocking first tight end? What is his vision at the tight end position?

I think corner is another potential need. The secondary was bad this year, although I agree with you that depth was really tested beyond second and third team players.
I guess what I tried to say in my post, was. If McDaniel used the RB's and TE's like Gailey did, would Miami be perceived, to be in such a need at the position?

If Miami's defense played up to its potential like they appearently did in the final 3 games of the season, would Miami still be perceived to be in need of LB's?

The Patriots game was lost on a defensive miscommunication and a non delay of game call on the final TD.

They Beat the Jets and held them below 300 yards of offense.

And played well enough against the Packers to almost win the game, if not for Tua's concussion.

I guess what I tried to say in my post, was. If McDaniel used the RB's and TE's like Gailey did, would Miami be perceived, to be in such a need at the position?

If Miami's defense played up to its potential like they appearently did in the final 3 games of the season, would Miami still be perceived to be in need of LB's?

The Patriots game was lost on a defensive miscommunication and a non delay of game call on the final TD.

And played well enough against the Packers to almost win the game, if not for Tua's concussion.
Unfortunately, if it's coaching rather than talent that's a tougher issue to solve.

Making the playoffs likely means no changes on the coaching staff as well.

I give McDaniel some leeway here because I see potential. Will he be smart enough to adjust? I liked his offensive game plan against the Jets, but is he patient enough to win the TOP games when the situation dictates?

I know the site is all over the place when it comes to Boyer. The fire everyone posts come out after every loss. Your take?

I think the guy from yardbarker is off a bit. And I think it is a mistake to overlook the LB position.

Id argue that how we lost those games has less to do with the randomness of miscommunication or penalties and more to do with failing to produce for a majority of the game. If we can upgrade the position we should have more of a lead, where things like penalties or a blown assignment doesnt turn a win into a loss.

While I feel that the RB and TE positions are needs, they are far less important to the final outcome of the game, due in large part to our talent at WR. Now if we lost Waddle or Hill for any significant time, then yes, I think TE becomes far more important.

I think the guy from yardbarker is off a bit. And I think it is a mistake to overlook the LB position.

Id argue that how we lost those games has less to do with the randomness of miscommunication or penalties and more to do with failing to produce for a majority of the game. If we can upgrade the position we should have more of a lead, where things like penalties or a blown assignment doesnt turn a win into a loss.

While I feel that the RB and TE positions are needs, they are far less important to the final outcome of the game, due in large part to our talent at WR. Now if we lost Waddle or Hill for any significant time, then yes, I think TE becomes far more important.
I understand your point. Good post.

Unfortunately, if it's coaching rather than talent that's a tougher issue to solve.

Making the playoffs likely means no changes on the coaching staff as well.

I give McDaniel some leeway here because I see potential. Will he be smart enough to adjust? I liked his offensive game plan against the Jets, but is he patient enough to win the TOP games when the situation dictates?

I know the site is all over the place when it comes to Boyer. The fire everyone posts come out after every loss. Your take?

I'm on the fence with regards to Boyer. If the above tweet is something he can do with a depleted roster, I'm leaning towards keeping him. Those last three games, as mentioned in the tweet above, showed the defense finally came together. Inspite of losing two of the three the defense began to turn the corner and played assignment sound and tackled much better. Unfortunately the penalties continued to hurt.

But unfortunately as a whole the defense fell way short of expectations. Most probably due to the insurmountable injury bug.

The question now becomes, can Boyer do it with a healthier roster? Can he get a better pass rush? If the answer is no, I guess he'll be gone.

As for the draft, Miami is without a doubt going to need to start replacing players who leave, due to cap constraints. As well as trying to upgrade, CB, OT, LB and TE. You can't let Gesicki walk without finding a viable replacement. And with both Jones and Howard on the decline, replacements are needed, sooner rather than later.

With no RB on the roster, all of which are F/A's and potentially not coming back, RB is another obvious need.

As for McDaniel, I'm not much of a fan. I think he's over rated. He came with a reputation, but didn't install an offense that could withstand what opposing defenses did after the 49er's game; that is until the Jets in the final game.

I'm on the fence with regards to Boyer. If the above tweet is something he can do with a depleted roster, I'm leaning towards keeping him. Those last three games, as mentioned in the tweet above, showed the defense finally came together. Inspite of losing two of the three the defense began to turn the corner and played assignment sound and tackled much better. Unfortunately the penalties continued to hurt.

But unfortunately as a whole the defense fell way short of expectations. Most probably due to the insurmountable injury bug.

The question now becomes, can Boyer do it with a healthier roster? Can he get a better pass rush? If the answer is no, I guess he'll be gone.

As for the draft, Miami is without a doubt going to need to start replacing players who leave, due to cap constraints. As well as trying to upgrade, CB, OT, LB and TE. You can't let Gesicki walk without finding a viable replacement. And with both Jones and Howard on the decline, replacements are needed, sooner rather than later.

With no RB on the roster, all of which are F/A's and potentially not coming back, RB is another obvious need.

As for McDaniel, I'm not much of a fan. I think he's over rated. He came with a reputation, but didn't install an offense that could withstand what opposing defenses did after the 49er's game; that is until the Jets in the final game.

My gut tells me Boyers stays, unless McDaniel brings in a guy he has worked with in the past.

But the excuses (or reasons) we make for Boyer regarding injuries can also be applied to McDaniel on the offensive side. He has been dealing with back up QBs and a different oline almost every week, particularly at the end of the season.

McDaniel needs time to get the guys he needs on the oline to run his scheme.

The SF game I blame on Tua, he had guys open everywhere, he just missed the.m Bad games happen.

The Chargers game however, I put on McDaniel. We didnt make any adjustments even though th whole world could see what was happening.

No complaints about the Bills, OTHER THAN mysteriously stopping the run that the Bills had no answer for. Probably cost us that game as well.

GB again fell on Tua. Without those 3 second half picks we win, imo.

Im happy with McDaniel and I think he has a VERY high ceiling here for us.

Back
Top Bottom