Phillip Rivers' Bowl Game at 5:30 on ESPN | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers' Bowl Game at 5:30 on ESPN

I saw Losman against Texas this season. Granted, Tulane did not have the talent to beat Texas but Losman did nothing to give his team a chance to stay close. I think Rivers has better tools and better intangibles than Losman.

No way he has more talent than Losman, but maybe intangibles yes.

Originally posted by Jaj
No way he has more talent than Losman, but maybe intangibles yes.

thats what makes a QB... he has all the tools to go on and be a great QB.

am i the only one who gets the fact that he changes up everything at the LOS? he reads defenses great. much like manning. he is gonna be great.

jaj you seem to be more for losman then rivers, but the fact is losman doesn't do everything rivers does. i'd take rivers hands down.

Rivers is a good risk for the following reasons...

1. The guy has talent, and the physical stature of a pro QB, sure his mechanics may be off but that can be coached. He can also read the D at the LOS and make adjustments.

2. Price. We don't have the money to pay a top 5-10 QB pick without significant sacrifice. A 2nd round QB contract will be easier to work. Pick up a FA QB like Warner / Brunell and have Rivers behind him learning.
If we did get a high 1st rounder for OGun, we should use it on a stud OL (better for RW and whoever our QB is). This strategy would also allow us to go for a decent #2 WR.

No sense blowing our wad all on a QB. This team has a realistic 2 year window, we need all the high value picks we can get that can produce on day 1 (PR excluded)

Well the point is that this team has a darn good O to take over once the D starts to fade.

With a young QB being coached by Norm Chow, Ricky, Chambers, possibly Rashaun Woods or Lee, and McMike the team will stay in contention.

Chambers - He looks smaller than he is listed - and we all know about college listings!! - and I know someone who claims to see him regularly walking round school and says there is no way he's 5'11. We'll see at the Combine for sure.

As for Losman, guy is like Patrick Ramsey. He is a tremendous leader, has a good arm, is as tough as nails and played with really bad talent, especially on the OL, where he was either running for his life or getting nailed.

It sure is comical to read some of the posts on this thread. To compare Phillip Rivers to the likes of Gino Toretta is at best a good chuckle.

Let me get some facts straight, Phillip Rivers has had 4 different OC's in his time at State. Norm Chow left after Phillip's freshmen year to take the job at USC. Mazzone, this year's OC, was probably the worst OC that Phillip had at State in his tenure.

This kid has all the intangables. He spends enough time watching videos to memorize an opposing team's defense. Hell, he even knows the name of the formation. Nobody can take that away from him. It's a defininte plus.

His accuracy is so good it's almost un-believeable.

Whoever thinks Rivers lacks in arm strength is full of s**t! it's funny that Phillip can throw the ball 40 yards flat on his feet, and all you hear is his footing being terrible?

Looking at Miami's draft position, I find it frustrating as a Dolphin fan that so many people (on this board) is dissing Rivers in favor of Manning when in reality Miami has no chance of getting Manning.

With someone like Rivers, changing his mechanics would be foolish. They have been like that since highschool, but NOrm Chow did not want to change them because guess what, it worked for Rivers.

Someone on here just mentioned Favre has bad mechanics and its true. He throws all kinds of crazy crap, but guess what he is a leader. ANd I would say RIvers while not Mobile like McNabb is mobile like Favre. Enough to stay out of trouble.

Its amusing to see people jump on this mobility bandwagon, but the least sacked QBs in NFL history are pocket passers. Marino being first and Peyton Manning being second in terms of snaps/per sack. YOu dont need to scramble, just need pocket Presence and a QUICK RELEASE.

Also on here someone mentioned his opponent tonight in the game. Yeah Kansas is not great by any means but did any of you watch RIvers against OHIO STATE or FLORIDA STATE. He single handedly kept his team in both of those games, but NC states Defense let him down.

IMO He will be a great QB. FRom what I have seen and from his maturity. I dont know for sure, but I have had my doubts on some people like AKili SMith in the past and I still doubt Carson Palmer, although he has yet to play. I just have a feeling on Rivers.

Roethlisberg looks pretty damn good watching his bowl game, but what competition is he going against. :o He lost his only real challenge against IOWA. Im jk, that just sounds like an argument you guys would make. NEways, the bottom line is Rivers is a first rounder and I hope Eli and Roethlisberg are taken ahead of RIvers, hell I hope all QBs are taken ahead of him and that he falls to us. Marino did, at 27 back in the day. :D

Originally posted by BruceDickinson
With someone like Rivers, changing his mechanics would be foolish. They have been like that since highschool, but NOrm Chow did not want to change them because guess what, it worked for Rivers.

Someone on here just mentioned Favre has bad mechanics and its true. He throws all kinds of crazy crap, but guess what he is a leader. ANd I would say RIvers while not Mobile like McNabb is mobile like Favre. Enough to stay out of trouble.

Its amusing to see people jump on this mobility bandwagon, but the least sacked QBs in NFL history are pocket passers. Marino being first and Peyton Manning being second in terms of snaps/per sack. YOu dont need to scramble, just need pocket Presence and a QUICK RELEASE.

Also on here someone mentioned his opponent tonight in the game. Yeah Kansas is not great by any means but did any of you watch RIvers against OHIO STATE or FLORIDA STATE. He single handedly kept his team in both of those games, but NC states Defense let him down.

IMO He will be a great QB. FRom what I have seen and from his maturity. I dont know for sure, but I have had my doubts on some people like AKili SMith in the past and I still doubt Carson Palmer, although he has yet to play. I just have a feeling on Rivers.

Roethlisberg looks pretty damn good watching his bowl game, but what competition is he going against. :o He lost his only real challenge against IOWA. Im jk, that just sounds like an argument you guys would make. NEways, the bottom line is Rivers is a first rounder and I hope Eli and Roethlisberg are taken ahead of RIvers, hell I hope all QBs are taken ahead of him and that he falls to us. Marino did, at 27 back in the day. :D
Good post Bruce, thanks for picking me up on Brett Favre.
My very first post in this thread, stated that I would look for how a player plays in big games, as an indication of what kind of leader and player that he is....Rivers has proven at least three times this year that the bigger the stage, the bigger he plays. that is something you CAN NOT coach....this guy is going to be a good pro, and I don't think that greatness is out of the realm of possibility either.

Excellant points Bruce.....from a DolFan in NC who gets to see Rivers play in person on a regular basis and on TV each Saturday.....Rivers excels against every level of competition he has faced.....is a great person and a ever better leader.

Philip Rivers will be a great Pro QB......he has it all except for questions about his throwing motion but that is offset by his quick release, strong arm, leadership and that he is a student of the game. He is the type of player you want your franchise to draft because he will never do anything to embarrass you by getting a DUI as an example.

Whoever gets Rivers in the mid to late 1st round or early 2nd will be getting the best QB in the draft and a potential Pro Bowl player in a few years.

Don't get overwhelmed by workout numbers (example Ryan Leaf) and hope that the Phins will pick a football player and not a guy who looks good in shorts and can't do the job on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the last time, HE DOES NOT HAVE A STRONG ARM!

I'm not saying he doesn't have enough arm strength to get by, but he does not have a strong NFL arm. So what he can throw a ball 40 yards, every QB can easily do that. I'm aware you said flat footed, but I haven't seen him do that.

A strong NFL arm? 75 yards.

Can Rivers throw it across the field w/o the ball floating and wobbling? I doubt it very seriously.

Kneeling at midfield and throwing it through the goal posts is a strong arm for a NFL QB.

Kneeling at midfield and throwing it through the goal posts is a strong arm for a NFL QB.

while that is a good test of strength, when does it apply to a game? i dont care if the guy can throw it out of the stadium (see ryan leaf) Accuracy is the best thing a qb can have nowadays and this kid has it

Back
Top Bottom