Phins interested in Welbourn ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phins interested in Welbourn ?

Right On CK....there may be 10 trades in the first round or none; we can't predict that. We can, however, say unequivically that every team will entertain a trade, no matter what they are saying right now....They may not do it, but would entertain the idea...

This maybe a draft day thing. the Eagles will wait to see who falls. Too many things can happen before SAT. so they would not make a deal till then.

DOLFANMIKE said:
His situation sounds alot like ours with OGUN.
Wow... good point. I had not thought of it that way, but you are right on. That is assuming he really is that talented of a player.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't watch that many Philly games ans thus have not seen Welbourn play. It sounds like most people are saying he is good bc he played on a team that has a good line. Well, if that is the case he could just be the weak link on that line. Considering I have never really heard of him I dont' understand how people say he is better than woody and deserves that kind of $$.

Has anyone watched much of him? maybe one of our philly fans that are members here?

I do like this trade IF he is really talented. Otherwise, I'll lean towards CK.... T is a more important position than G. You can NOT pass at all with crappy T's. And we all saw what happens (last year) when you try to run and run and run...

I'll be honest with you guys - I have never heard of Welbourn. Is he really that good? So far the only quote that weve heard about him came from his agent :rolleyes:.

Can he pull? Is he a road grader in the running game? If he is, then Id be intereste d in this deal. However Im NOT interested in him just because his agent said he deserves Damien Woody money. I do know this - the Eagles have been peddling Welbourn around for a few weeks now in an attempt to move up, and as fdar as I can teel there have been no takers. Again, Im not saying hes a poor prospect; I'd just like to hear a bit more about him from someone that seen him play.

I posted a thread about him a while ago and i knew frisco was in on him but i hoped we would make a run at him.... this guy is pretty good and versataile.... he was breathrough player of 2003 on offense which is good!

Surferosa said:
I'll be honest with you guys - I have never heard of Welbourn. Is he really that good? So far the only quote that weve heard about him came from his agent :rolleyes:.

Can he pull? Is he a road grader in the running game? If he is)2C then Id be intereste d in this deal. However Im NOT interested in him just because his agent said he deserves Damien Woody money. I do know this - the Eagles have been peddling Welbourn around for a few weeks now in an attempt to move up, and as fdar as I can teel there have been no takers. Again, Im not saying hes a poor prospect; I'd just like to hear a bit more about him from someone that seen him play.

From what I've seen and heard about him he's a good but not great OL. Good Run and pass blocker. Not Great at either, but no weakeness.

Last edited by a moderator:
njfinfan said:
Why are we so interested in Philly's players? Does the FO know something we don't? :confused:
Just remember a few years back it was almost Philly south in Miami.

Miami had Byars, Heller, Golic, Barnett. And I think someone else.

DOLFANMIKE said:
From what I've seen and heard about him he's a good but not great OL. Good Run and pass blocker. Not Great at either, but no weakeness either.

If thats the case, why all the fuss about this guy? Seems like Welbourn's agent has taken a page or two out of Rosenhous's bestselling book entitled "Hyperbole and Negotiation in the NFL"

Here's some tidbits I found on Welbourn.

http://wc.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6127402

From 2003..."Underrated player who could make a difference: Left guard John Welbourn is a mauler who doesn't get the credit he deserves. He will be matched with Warren Sapp at times, and if he can keep him out of the backfield, and move him on run downs, the Eagles will score points. "

Of course if Welbourn joins the Fins...Prisco will call him overrated ;)

http://ww1.sportsline.com/nfl/1999/draft/teams/PHI.htm

From 1999..."This rugged strong lineman completed a solid career in the Pac 10 at both guard and tackle. His stint at left tackle the past two seasons has helped him develop his pass blocking skills against some of the best speed rushers in the nation. He is a three-year starter who lost time due to a knee injury that required surgery. He has a solid base and is a sound technician who understands leverage and blocking angles. He is a tough competitor and shows the strength and balance to be a solid blocker in both the running and passing game. His conversion to guard should be a smooth one after earlier time spent on the inside. He has decent footwork for trapping but lacks the foot speed to pull. He adjusts well after the initial charge and resets himself quickly. He has developed a good hand punch, which will advance him as a prospect on the inside. At the combine, he ran a 5.08 time and did 24 reps in the lifting. He's a tough competitor with sound technique and good intangibles. "

More from 1999...http://calbears.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/players/cal-m-fb-welbourn.html

Thanks gladsmad, hope he has the footwork to pull now cause if not I don't want him, but if so I say we make the deal.

Back
Top Bottom