Phinz Aren't Physical Enough.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phinz Aren't Physical Enough....

I'm no big wanny fan

Originally posted by dreadlockera
Most of us believe we need to get more physical. One one side of the ball or both. Perhaps its the O line and safety position. In any case let me ask this: Is the need a player upgrade or coaching upgrade? Meaning, why are we soft, is it the players or coaching?

But you have to admit, the Tennessee game was the only game that we got blowed out and it was over at halftime. Wanny may be simple, but his gameplans do keep us in games and put us in position to win. I think we have some over priced defensive players who arent playing up to their potential, mainly Brock Marion. Despite the trendy desire to want to play 3-4 defense and play a wc style offense. Our 4-3 defense works well especially against the run, however in order for it to be dominant our safties need to strike fear in reciever coming accross the middle and our corners needs to be shut down corners. We had that when Brian walker was here a few years back and Brock marion and Sam Madison was still in their prime. It's time to conceede that these players are getting old and becoming more of a liabilty and try and get some value for them while they still have some value and go with potential and youth.

I remember S B. Walker very well. Losing him hurt more than I ever imagined. He reminded me somewhat of L. Oliver....

I also remember having OLB R. Jones that year as well. Both of those players were physical. Their replacements weren't....

PHINZ RULE!!!:fire:

Re: Exactly...

Originally posted by rhadaddy

This Philly teams sans Brian Westbrook seemed unstoppable when they played us, but choked a couple of weeks later against a weaker SF team. Our defense has no heart. especially later in the year. Our offense needs alot of work as well, that goes without saying, but last year our defense was more than rested with Ricky toting the rock the way he was. What happened? they couldn't stop a Vikings team or a NE team. Even though our offense played well enough to win. Look at NE, aside from Troy Brown, who's their other big name reciever? On Defense aside from Ty Law , Rodney Harrison and Ted Washington, who's a big name on their defense? Vrabel, Brushii, McGunnest? what NE has proven is they dont need big names on their team. All they need is disciplined players and players who play up to their talent in the right system. How often do you see a defensive player out of place on the NE squad? As complex as their gameplans may seem, they play good old fashion hard hitting physical football.

something Miami is built to do, but doesn't.

I LIKE!

give me an ugly, nasty attitude line on both sides of the ball......then have those guys turn around to their team mates and tell them in no uncertain terms that if they don't start playing smash mouth, punishing, make you pay for each and every yard football like they are in the trenches....they will have a private meeting in the locker room at halftime and "go over" a few things!!!.........SET THE TONE!!!!......MAKE THE OTHER TEAM REGRET THEY HAVE TO PLAY THE PHINS!!

Go Danny!....set this team on fire or TAKE SOME NAMES!!!

I think we need to be more resiliante(sp?) too. It seems like when things start to go back the whole team goes down. About our defence being fine, we miss way too many tackles and we give up way too many 3rd down plays to be fine. We did good playing the run but gave up lots of yards in the air. So far this defence is a paper champ defence. We have talent, yes. But we haven't play up to that talent imo.

Ozzy rules
up the irons!!

Re: Re: Phinz Aren't Physical Enough....

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

Completely agree. Always have. How much of that is attributable to coaching motivating the players you think? I can't believe that the only secondary players with fire play at NE and Car.

Completely agree with you :D Remember the Eagles game? They came to our house & punched us out in front of the faitfull.

It is about coaching. The 2 most talented teams ARE NOT going to the Superbowl. The 2 best coached teams are.

Re: Re: Re: Phinz Aren't Physical Enough....

Originally posted by Wakey

Completely agree with you :D Remember the Eagles game? They came to our house & punched us out in front of the faitfull.

It is about coaching. The 2 most talented teams ARE NOT going to the Superbowl. The 2 best coached teams are.

If we were so poorly coached why have we gone 11-5, 11-5, 9-7, 10-6 in the last four years, and if i'm not mistaken, all of those teams aside from the 9-7 team grossly overachieved if anything. Two of our past four years we had no o-line, and no running game. We have a mediocre qb and aside from CC, no wr's. Unlike Baltimore and Carolina, we didn't have a stud o-line and viable wr threats.

Don't get me wrong coaching is a big part but even Danny boy himself convinced WH that our team grossly over achieved and DW's coaching is not the issue. It's more, his personell decisions. that's a liabilty. Trust me, had Danny not liked DW, DW would've been gone. WH trust his confidants enough and mistrust his own football judgement enough not to make a rash descion without consulting his collegues, mainly Dan Marino, Don Shula, Rich mckay, etc.. They all said the same thing DW coaching is not at fault, but his personell decisions is questionable and the team isn't as talented as they are made out to be. Especially in the offensive side of the ball. And there are some overpriced, washed up indivduals on defense. It's been well documented.

Sammy is very physical, it's just everyone else isn't. Our guys check, bump and hold, but no big hits after catching the ball other then from Sammy. We need some more WRs flattened, roughed up and knocked out. The Cats were really hitting people, so was NE but it seemed like mostly no one was really open and Manning didn't have a lot of time. But it also helps when the flags get stuck in the ref's pockets like they did for NE also.

Originally posted by Danny
I think we need to be more resiliante(sp?) too. It seems like when things start to go back the whole team goes down. About our defence being fine, we miss way too many tackles and we give up way too many 3rd down plays to be fine. We did good playing the run but gave up lots of yards in the air. So far this defence is a paper champ defence. We have talent, yes. But we haven't play up to that talent imo.

Ozzy rules
up the irons!!

That's true Danny. The sad thing is...we are in position to make those tackles but you can't get it done useing the Olivadotti technque of shoulder tackling. Which is what I've seen Sam resorting to. That points to COACHING!

What the hell do you want??

You want Miami to show they're physical by doing it illegally?? Miami's defense is one of the most physical in the NFL.. They are #2 or #3 in run defense allowing 3.3 yards per carry.. Hell, teams average 9.9 yards on Miami in 3 consecutive carries, that's not a first down..

New England was getting away with murder against the Colts.. Compare all that contact to the contact Jamar Fletcher had on Troy Brown last year in week 17 vs. the Patriots.. Not even close, yet Miami gets called for pass interference while the Pats defenders are stabbing players and getting away with it..

Miami's defense is very, very physical.. You have no point in this post..

It's just completely wrong

Just remember as you watch playoff football that alot....and I mean alot, enormous, mountainous, amounts of penalties will not be called because the referees and the league do not want the referees to be the show.

Translation=You can get away with murder in the playoffs.
(see the mauling that Colt receivers received 15 yards downfield)

To those that are asking the question, "how did they shut down Marvin Harrison when nobody else did all year?"

Simple...Holding and Pass interference penalties are called in the regular season.

The Patriots Man to Man defense: :chair:

The referees watching the patriots "defending" Harrison: :dunno:

Me watching this: :angry:

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

You want Miami to show they're physical by doing it illegally?? Miami's defense is one of the most physical in the NFL.. They are #2 or #3 in run defense allowing 3.3 yards per carry.. Hell, teams average 9.9 yards on Miami in 3 consecutive carries, that's not a first down..

New England was getting away with murder against the Colts.. Compare all that contact to the contact Jamar Fletcher had on Troy Brown last year in week 17 vs. the Patriots.. Not even close, yet Miami gets called for pass interference while the Pats defenders are stabbing players and getting away with it..

WHO.... the hell are you talking to???

I dont know who this was in response to

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

But crying over officiating in NE's favor is rediculous. How about all of those year when Miami was the leagues least penalized team in the NFl and Don Shula was on the comp commitee.

I agree our run defense was nothing short of awesome, but our pass defense on the other hand was our achillies heal the entire season.

BTW, none of those hits I saw yesterday dished out by NE, were dirty, They were just good bonecrushing hits. And NE defense has been known to punish receivers especially that come across the middle.

The only illegal hit I saw yesterday was the late hit on McNabb and according to the officials the whistle wasn't blown.

Just face it our defense is overpriced and under achieving. Timbo is on the decline, but still effective, ZT and JS are on the decline but still effective. Greenwood is at best solid, but not a gamebreaker. PS is all pro. SM is on the decline, still has something left in the tank. Brock Marion is on the decline and needs to retire. Sammy Knight is either in the wrong Scheme for us or he's not playing up to his head hunter heavy hitting potential. All those core players that are on the decline, tend to wear down in late in the season. When we need them the most. It's time for some core defensive changes. Along with the obvious offensive changes.

Miami isn't all it is defensively neither, sadly. In Important games we get torched but we can't compensate for that, because we can't even put any large amount of points on the board.

Back
Top Bottom