Playoffs or not... Ireland needs to stay another year. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
Our offense will be EXPLOSIVE if and only if Ireland can get us an o line this off season. What Tannehill has been able to do with an inept run game and horrible pass protection is crazy. I can't remember a time we had a qb recently with over 20TD passes, and actually throws them to WRs.

The talent is there, but i haven't seen so much potential since Marino and Shula. With a better Oline, this is a 13 win team

I agree with this. And i noted our offensive line as an issue in my post. We went with Martin at LT this year hoping he would be ready to step into the role. He wasnt. It was a failed move and now Ireland will have to address these holes in the offseason. Which he will. IN the draft and in FA. The O Line is one of the fastest things to fix in the NFL. Not like the D Line where we are strong at. Or the secondary which we are strong at... Or QB which we are strong at...

HB is an easy fix (most times) Line could be an easy fix, but the ZBS is retarded. And we just need a MLB and we are straight. Thats what im trying to get the Fireland crowd to realize. WE are in better shape then they think.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

This thread is giving my brain that familiar wormy feeling.

Please explain. Because i feel like i have made very good points and explained myself very well on my stance.

Our offense will be EXPLOSIVE if and only if Ireland can get us an o line this off season. What Tannehill has been able to do with an inept run game and horrible pass protection is crazy. I can't remember a time we had a qb recently with over 20TD passes, and actually throws them to WRs.

The talent is there, but i haven't seen so much potential since Marino and Shula. With a better Oline, this is a 13 win team

I would be willing to bet it won't be. Will our offense be better with better talent, sure, but I've been conditioned by this team to wait and see before getting my hopes up for anything resembling EXPLOSIVE.

We are going to throw a bunch of new OL guys together and hope they gel. All our existing RBs are bad. We have 1 good TE (but unproven). Hartline is just OK and Wallace runs fast but doesn't appear to do much else well. Tannehill still has question marks about his playmaking ability. To me it is all but a sure thing our offense improves dramatically next year especially if our failed GM Ireland is still running the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be willing to bet it won't be. Will our offense be better with better talent, sure, but I've been conditioned by this team to wait and see before getting my hopes up for anything resembling EXPLOSIVE.

We are going to throw a bunch of new OL guys together and hope they gel. All our existing RBs are bad. We have 1 good TE (but unproven). Hartline is just OK and Wallace runs fast but doesn't appear to do much else well. Tannehill still has question marks about his playmaking ability. To me it is all but a sure thing our offense improves dramatically next year especially if our failed GM Ireland is still running the show.

Our stating QB, 2nd year player is gunna put up close to 4k yards and 25 tds with a poor offensive line and a poor running game. Pretty safe bet to say that if we fixed the O Line and had a playmaker at TE (Like a Keller, or if Egnew steps up) then the offense would be pretty explosive. Minus 25 sacks, and say 15 of those are completions (roughly 60%) maybe we have a few more wins.

I see no indications that it could get worse? Out running backs are fine, Daniel Thomas is a above average number 2 back (i mean...would you rather have hunter?) And Lamar is explosive but still an average NFL back...but i would not say bad.

I'm sure we have all watched football enough to notice that we have a horrible offensive line! Which i do believe falls back on the GM. But I also think in ever other as pect of the team Ireland as done a decent job! You cant have pro bowl playerz at every position. Ill go with a need for another decent linebacker and a upgraded oline...those cogs would make this a competitive team. In my opinion of course

He is what his record says he is.... Mediocre to poor.

If that is the barometer for "success" than he should stay another six years.

Dude is flat out the worst kind of Gm you can have.... He is not so bad that it's obvious he needs to go.
He is middling and therefore you are always left thinking "hey if we fix Y and Z, we'll be set".

The problem is when he does get around to fixing Y or Z than A and B need to be repaired.... It's a never ending cycle that leads you to perennial 6 - 9 win seasons.

He is what his record says he is.... Mediocre to poor.

If that is the barometer for "success" than he should stay another six years.

Dude is flat out the worst kind of Gm you can have.... He is not so bad that it's obvious he needs to go.
He is middling and therefore you are always left thinking "hey if we fix Y and Z, we'll be set".

The problem is when he does get around to fixing Y or Z than A and B need to be repaired.... It's a never ending cycle that leads you to perennial 6 - 9 win seasons.

Stop saying 6 years. 2008 he was signed after the draft (had nothing to do with that class) 2009 was all parcells. 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 were his classes. He had to completely rebuild this team. Which he did. Just look at the players he draftd in those years. He has put together a solid team in 4 seasons as a GM completely rebuilding. People dont realize this. Thats the point of this topic.

Stop saying 6 years. 2008 he was signed after the draft (had nothing to do with that class) 2009 was all parcells. 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 were his classes. He had to completely rebuild this team. Which he did. Just look at the players he draftd in those years. He has put together a solid team in 4 seasons as a GM completely rebuilding. People dont realize this. Thats the point of this topic.

That's incorrect
"Jeff Ireland was named as the Dolphins’ General Manager on January 2, 2008. He joined the club after a seven-year stint (2001-07) with the Dallas Cowboys, including his last three seasons there as the team’s Vice President of College and Pro Scouting."
http://www.miamidolphins.com/team/staff/jeff-ireland/df426617-fbb9-487e-90b4-3eb1e55f5569

I agree with this. And i noted our offensive line as an issue in my post. We went with Martin at LT this year hoping he would be ready to step into the role. He wasnt. It was a failed move and now Ireland will have to address these holes in the offseason. Which he will. IN the draft and in FA. The O Line is one of the fastest things to fix in the NFL. Not like the D Line where we are strong at. Or the secondary which we are strong at... Or QB which we are strong at...

HB is an easy fix (most times) Line could be an easy fix, but the ZBS is retarded. And we just need a MLB and we are straight. Thats what im trying to get the Fireland crowd to realize. WE are in better shape then they think.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Please explain. Because i feel like i have made very good points and explained myself very well on my stance.
You were very articulate with your points and you didn't feel it necessary to call out all of the "HATERz", which is always a plus. I disagree with them, but my comment wasn't aimed at you. It was more of a prediction of where this thread is going.

Last edited by a moderator:

look at all the holes this team is going to have this offseason. 4 years of failed drafts and FA signings will catch up to you.

I would definitely give Ireland another year regardless about playoffs or not. it´s been clear enough that the refs have done a lot of damage all season. I also think that mr. Ross should be a lot closer to the NFL directives and be willing to give them nice presents all 2014 season that's more important than sherman´s playcalling.

Who cares if we dont have rookies producing right this min, they will still develop into solid players. It takes time to develop in the NFL. We should have 11-12 wins right now. Would the rookie starters be an issue if our record was 11-4 right now?

So are you saying the supposition behind the 2013 draft class is that Ireland decided to draft players which will take 2-3 years to develop? I thought he was drafting to win in 2013 because he knew his job was on the line. I guess he knew something we didn't. I don't have a problem with this strategy in a general sense. I just have a hard time believing Jeff had the long term view going into this draft. If our 2013 class produces some gems outside of Jordan, it feels more like luck than savvy.

So are you saying the supposition behind the 2013 draft class is that Ireland decided to draft players which will take 2-3 years to develop? I thought he was drafting to win in 2013 because he knew his job was on the line. I guess he knew something we didn't. I don't have a problem with this strategy in a general sense. I just have a hard time believing Jeff had the long term view going into this draft. If our 2013 class produces some gems outside of Jordan, it feels more like luck than savvy.

You know what happens when you ASSUME?

I have been an Ireland supporter and wouldn't be upset if he stayed. He does some things VERY well. He is very good at putting us in great cap situations going forward. I think he is a solid GM but isn't the best at talent evaluation. Having said that I think he has also had plenty of chances to put a better team on the field. I think we do have better talent than our record, but at the same time he doesn't do a very good job at the top of the draft. I guess I am kinda on the fence, I would probably rather keep him than let him go because I am just terribly afraid they will replace him with some sort of "yes man" that will try and buy us a championship rather than build the long way. We are headed in the right direction and think we should keep him but if he gets fired I won't be upset.

Just understand change is not always for the better. Just look at all those wanting change in the White House and now we have the worst president in the history of this country.

Back
Top Bottom