Playoffs or not... Ireland needs to stay another year. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
If you are pro "Fireland" Please at least read my thread before giving me bad rep or a "thumbs down" i feel like i make some valid points in his defense here.

The people who want Ireland fired need to re-think their stance
. You fire the GM.. .The New GM is going to come in and bring along his coaching staff. Then Tannehill is going to have to learn a completely new system/playbook and get used to new coaches when the kid is on the cusp of being a potential pro bowler.

Ireland has put together a winning football team. This team could very easily have 11-12 wins right now if we didnt choke vs the Ravens (2 missed fgs) and Panthers (4th and 10 on their own 10 or 20 leads to winning td). Then Choke against the Bills. Then lose to the Bucs and cheated out of Fox Borough cuz of the refs and 3 horrendous calls which turned 3rd and longs into first downs and 2 TDs and a FG.

Ireland has made a few mistakes... but no GM is perfect. People want to clown him on his draft picks..Really? Just look at this team and see the quality team he has put together on draft picks alone. Including quite a few later round picks which are much harder to hit on.

Cant really judge on 2013 quite yet, because you cant expect all rookies to come in and make an immidiate impact...Dion Jordan is being brought along slowly and will more then likely be a stud... Jamar Taylor has talent just needs to be healthy and im not going to really get into this draft class because we wont know for sure untill next year or the year after. Also it seems like a lot of his picks take a year or two to develop first. So i am willing to be patient with this draft class.

2012- Tannehill (Potential Pro Bowl QB, out playing most of his rookie class) Jon Martin (Bust, vagina bust, ***, *****, cry baby, sissy pants bust.) Vernon (Stud, potential Pro bowler) Egnew (Verdict is still out, Has all the tools and made some big leaps this year in terms of pass blocking. Also has looked pretty good as a FB when used there. His lable of being soft IMO has definitely been dropped. Hasnt dropped a ball yet and has made some nice catches in limited targets) Miller (Disappointment, but could be better with a better line. More of a change of pace back then a starter) Rishard Matthews (Stud IMO. Great pick in the 7th round)

2011- Mike Pouncy (Pro Bowler) Daniel Thomas (Injury prone HB, probable bust who sometimes shows flashes) Charles Clay (Potential pro bowler, picked in the 6th round) Jimmy Wilson (Another 7th round pick who is contributing to the team. Has played pretty damn well this season and has done great in the nickle guarding opposing slot receivers)

2010- Jared Odrick (Potential Pro Bowler and has been great at the DT position) Koa Misi (Solid OLB. Sure tackler with good instincts. Think he should be playing MLB for us honestly) Jon Jerry (Average Guard imo. Could be replaced or come back, he hasnt been completely terrible but could be a position for improvement.) Nolan Carrol (5th round corner who has been very solid for us this season. Stepped up big when Patterson went down. Proves that sometimes you need to be a little patient with players) Reshad Jones (Hasnt had the INT impact he had last season, but has still been solid. Is a sure tackler has shown some ball hawking ability last year. Potential Pro Bowler)

Im not going to go back to 2008, because 2008 we all know that Parcells was calling the shots. IDK about 2009, so i will leave that year along as well although we still have 2 contributers from that year in Hartline and Clemons who are both respectable players, along with Vontae Davis who has been very good with Indy and Sean Smith who everyone loves to hate, but is an ok player and playing on one of the best defenses in the league right now.

Phillip Wheeler was a horrible signing. Letting go of Dansby was a bad move too. You make that one minor swap and we are a much better team with Ellerbe playing OLB and Dansby MLB. Grimes was a great signing along with Patterson when he was healthy. Keller would have made this offense DANGEROUS, but he got injured before the season started and he was looking great in pre season. Just Imagine how deadly this team would be with Clay and Keller both playing. Gibson got injured, but he was a very good signing. Wake injured and playing hurt most of the year and you have Sam Brenner and Derrick Shelby who have both looked good as undrafted free agents. Wallace has been ok, but not playing to his salery , but could have a great year next season when he gets on the same page with Tannehill and he has better protection. Better play calling could help out big time too. Making the trade for McKinnie was needed and Clabo was a bust in the first half of the year but has played much better recently.

The point is.. Ireland has an eye for talent and has assembled a very good team who should have more wins then they do. Lets not forget how young this team is either and that the majority of the team has been put together in 3 years. This team is going to keep improving as they get more experienced. Ireland is not the problem. As a GM he has done his job to put together a playoff caliper team. The O-line needs to be better and yes the GM needs to address that this offseason. But its not like its an un-fixable problem. And i honestly feel like its more of the Cadence and Pouncy tipping off snap counts, then it is the talent.

I think Sherman needs to be replaced if anybody needs to go (Although this somewhat contradicts what i said about learning a new system/playbook. But having Philbin here means we will stay with the WCO and not much will change. He should have changed things up with the snap counts way earlier and does a pretty bad job adjusting his offensive game plan. And there have been plenty of games where we actually COULD run the ball, but didnt anyways. Firing Ireland would be a huge mistake. Please dont bring up the dumb arguments of "well he should have draft this , this this and this guy here, here and here. You could say that for every GM and its ridiculous to expect every GM to draft a pro bowler at every draft slot.

You fire Ireland, you take the risk of having a Gm who is Actually stupid. I know we are tired of rebuilding, but he has rebuilt us the correct way when he has had full reign. The Gm is not the issue. Its the O line (Which is fixable, and will be addressed) and the Offensive Coordinator along with the offense tipping off their snaps. Hard to expect a Line to block well when the defense knows that a pass or run is coming and has the count timed.

You have to be kidding me......

If we have amassed great talent our head coach deserves to be fired because our record and my perception of our team says that we are average. I'll give him credit for drafting Tanney but other than RT we've seen few playmakers drafted by Ireland.

Some people seem to think you have to have pro bowlers at every position. Point is all teams have weak links on their rosters. That is where good coaching comes into play. Good coaches can better disguise their teams weak links.

While I don't really like Ireland, I think Philbin has been a disappointment this season and gets a pass because he is a high character/"good" guy. Better coaching (both by Sherman and Philbin) could have us in a better position than we are in now. Not giving up on Philbin, but not sold on him yet, either.

Some people seem to think you have to have pro bowlers at every position. Point is all teams have weak links on their rosters. That is where good coaching comes into play. Good coaches can better disguise their teams weak links.

How about Pro Bowlers he actually drafted at any position?

Our 2 Cbs are playing behind 3 good CBs (Grimes/Patterson/Carroll) Then Wilson is our Nickle Guy. You are asking for too much.

Jordan should be playing LB imo, and that is not IRELANDS FAULT. Its a coaching issue. But Jordan shouldnt be playing DE over Vernon and Wake right now... He is a DE.
a) the CB's should be contributing, not sure whose fault it is b)Ireland ignored our dire OT situation c)I think Jordan was worthy of the 3rd pick and Ireland got the pick at a bargain but it was like Stevie Wonder getting a bargain at lens crafters.

I believed before the draft that we needed to either trade for a decent OT or trade up for one of the top 2 LT's. All we got was a dynamite pass rusher and a OG from Tennessee.

Why we should get rid of Ireland:

He put together a winning team. You know, except for all those times they lost.

Starting lineup made up of 5th through 7th round picks. It would be more cost effective to hire Ireland as a consultant for Day 3.

I would like to know who are you going to replace Ireland with? Idk why our new lb's suck. Dansby, I am the greatest linebacker in the world, sucked. He came in the one year fat and out of shape. Now he is playing decent on a loosing franchise. Is that Ireland's/Philbins fault. The fact that we will be 9 and 7 this year, indicates to me we will be 11 and 5 next year. We will back into the play offs this year. How many pro bowlers has the great belicheat drafted the last four years?

Good to know you failed to read my thread. And Ireland wasnt calling the shots when Parcells was here.

I mentioned the Stud players @ the positions you are asking for already. The team is 8-7 and should have 3 more wins easily. Read the thread and you will know why i am defending Ireland.

How does he have no vision? The dude has drafted a playoff team in 3 years.

You are what your record says you are and we're 8 and 7 so stop with the "should have"....this team has holes everywhere. You want more Ireland then get ready for more of the same.

Ozzy rules!!

It took Ireland 5 years to make us into a marginally good team that plays with a lot of inconsistency that going into the final game of the season only holds the possibility of showing a two game improvement over where we were when Ireland became GM. I really don't understand how any of you look past that.

Here's my favorite post in this thread:
The fact that we will be 9 and 7 this year, indicates to me we will be 11 and 5 next year.
[video=youtube;fYmoTQQJ4to]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYmoTQQJ4to[/video]

Having said that I think he has also had plenty of chances to put a better team on the field. I think we do have better talent than our record, but at the same time he doesn't do a very good job at the top of the draft

We have been middle of the road since 2008's playoff team. Perhaps our talent is exactly what our record shows.

If the GM is not an issue, and the O Line is a major issue that is directly responsible for game-losing plays, who is responsible for the OL?

I can agree with this stance, but I also have to ask..don't you think he will fix that this offseason?

Last year we had holes at OL, WR, CB, TE, and QB possibly. We filled WR, filled CB, filled TE with Keller but he got hurt leading Clay to step up, QB stepped up big, and we were left with OL and some will say LB. So five holes to 1.5. Who knows how they are planning the cap to stay healthy which in my opinion is why they didn't get better OL personnel last offseason. This offseason I have no doubt OL will be a focus and we will improve there vastly.

So where does that put us? Assuming we resign well, younger guys develop as in the recent past has shown true, and sign some OL our team looks damn good for next year.

Got to give Ireland one more year, which Ross has done already. GM, HC, and QB are all tied for at least three years. If after three years you need to blow it all up so be it.

Back
Top Bottom