Please Trade Back | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Please Trade Back

Jssanto

Club Member
Reaction score
Most of the articles seem to agree regarding our needs- OL, DT, LB, TE, QB to groom, and safety or corner.
It seems to me that to do even some of this we need more picks. I hope we trade back to the 20s and receive one or two picks.

Most of the articles seem to agree regarding our needs- OL, DT, LB, TE, QB to groom, and safety or corner.
It seems to me that to do even some of this we need more picks. I hope we trade back to the 20s and receive one or two picks.
Some of those needs are purely backup related to some extent... Urgent needs are LB, TE and maybe FS if the team decided they now want a true FS, which wasnt the case the first 2 seasons of the regime.

I don't mind trading back slightly, but at the same time do we trade back so far that we miss out on potentially picking up a player like Fitz or Edmunds? No! The dolphins need multiple picks like an additional second and third which would be sweet.

Really hard to just say trade back when you don’t even know who is still on the board at 11 etc.

Just keep in mind also that just because you trade back to acquire and extra pick that does not mean you will end up with two quality starters vs one- or one special player at 11.

I'm a fan of trading back depending on how the board falls, but as he says, you need a willing trade partner to make it happen.

Yeah, it all depends on the scenario but I am not against it in theory.

There appears to be about 7 or 8 elite (non QB) prospects and then a drop for the next 15 or so. I keep hearing their is little-to-no separation in this class from 22 to 52. If I can pick up a top 52 pick without dipping below 19 or so, I certainly would.

Every year there is a player that outperforms players taken ahead of him in their rookie year. It happens all the time at at every position. That's the sort of players this FO needs to identify in rounds 2-5.

Something like the Saints did in 2017 would be a miracle. They got a top corner in the 1st as well as a starting RT. A top notch free safety in the 2nd. Rookie of the year RB in round 3 as well as a LB who ended up starting 4 games and is the projected WLB starter in 2018.

They had a lot of ammo but they maximized the selections with great talent at positions of need. We can only hope.

Last edited:
If we don't get twitchy there will be a great player at #11. If Tannenbaum panics and starts throwing draft capital around like it's water (see the Caroo trade) I'm going to be pissed. If Gase is running things, like I suspect, we will see a cerebral, deliberate draft. I see us coming away with a LB, TE and QB in the first 3 rounds, just can't say what order.

Trading back hardly ever works for us... We give up an elite player for more middling players. With all the QBs going early there will be some blue chippers there at 11. Take one of the stud LBs and fix this defense once and for all.

I was listening to Sirius Radio the other day and it might have been Gil Brandt who said there are usually around 15 legitimate first rounders in most drafts.

So, for me, it depends how the draft falls. Miami is devoid of elite talent IMO and if they can get someone elite that makes sense. Those players can move the needle the most. New England has shown that you don't need a lot of elite players, but having one at quarterback sure has helped them. With so many quarterbacks expected go early, maybe even Mason Rudolph and Lamar Jackson, those top 15 could be there in the first 20 picks. If the Dolphins can trade down and still get a top talent, why not? If not, stay at #11.

Would love to have an additional 2nd rounder, though. Lots of talent there. Miami's second round targets could include Jefferson at LB, Harrison at S, Brown at RT, quite a few of the tight ends, definitely some running backs. Phillips at DT maybe.

If we count 4 QBs, OG Nelson, DE Chubb, Ss/FS/CB Fitzpatrick, and RB Barkley, that totals 8. So one of Vita Vea, Smith and Edmunds has to be available at 11. Are they that good to take vs trading down and still getting a 1st round DT, OL?

Back
Top Bottom