Poised For A Big Payday, Dolphins’ Howard Hires New Agent. (same Agent As Landry...) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poised For A Big Payday, Dolphins’ Howard Hires New Agent. (same Agent As Landry...)

jimlerario

Active Roster
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.miam...mns-blogs/barry-jackson/article222332580.html
A six-pack of Dolphins notes on a Tuesday:

▪ Among a sea of Dolphins’ second-round busts during the past 12 years – from John Beck to Pat White to Jonathan Martin to Phillip Merling — the Dolphins found two elite talents: Xavien Howard and Jarvis Landry.

Landry left when he and agent Damarius Bilbo rejected Miami’s initial contract offer and eventually snagged a much better deal from Cleveland (five year, $75 million, $47.7 million guaranteed).

And now Howard also has hired Bilbo, and the Dolphins cannot afford to allow Howard to do what Landry and Lamar Miller (represented by Drew Rosenhaus) and Olivier Vernon (represented by David Canter) did after their rookie contracts: leave.

Good for him...

All the more reason to drop those contracts that don't match-up to the production.

Great, If Landry thought he was worth $15M(iirc) then I can only imagine what this agent/Howard are going to suggest he's worth.

Good for him...

All the more reason to drop those contracts that don't match-up to the production.

Oh, i love this argument.
Does it work the other way around too?

You know those players that have monster contract numbers that aren't producing.

Look, I'm all for signing Howard to a long term contract for sure, get them young and lock them up for years is what I always say, but the writer has it in his head that allowing Howard to walk away is somehow impossible, something I find surprising. Would I like to have this kid retire a Dolphin? of course, but there is a price that every team must have the right to say no to, do I know that price? of course not, but the notion that he must be resigned at any cost is far fetched.

I know there was a lot of unprofessionalism on both sides with bibo, but I could really foresee this douche saying to the public "the dolphins do not care about market value for my clients so we are going to play this contract out then test the open market regardless"

He needs to be signed long term to a fair contract. However, if his agent wants to make this a test case to reset the bar, then try and trade him.
Given the position he plays he and Tunsil have the highest trade value of any other players on the team.
Can probably get 2 1st rounders for him.

I know there was a lot of unprofessionalism on both sides with bibo, but I could really foresee this douche saying to the public "the dolphins do not care about market value for my clients so we are going to play this contract out then test the open market regardless"

Can then slap the tag on him.
Hopefully, it doesn't come down to that, but I wonder why Howard chose the same agent after seeing that tiff between Bilbo and the Dolphins.
Guess he saw Landry get paid what he wanted in Cleveland.

Jot this down....

We will overpay handsomly or X won't be here. I don't foresee any middle ground here.

He might be a budding star and great at his position, but until we find the right HC, FO and QB, I don't want big contracts that we will have to destroy our cap getting out of later to be signed. Let us not saddle our future with more bad money.

Bad because he may not fit the next regime.

This is why continuing to settle for mediocrity in leadership wrecks your team. Contracts for players from previous regimes (RT, Suh, etc) only slow down the process.

I'd rather get .new regime and trade X for picks than sign him to a big money contract we have to eat in a few years because the fans are desperate to have a big name now.

Dolphins need to be proactive here and all will be well.

You can’t distinguish “WR tiers” (i.e. slot receiver so we are giving you this) in this situation.

The guy is playing like a top flight boundary CB and that means he will command top dollar for the position, or even reset the bar.

And thats fine . . . .the salary cap increases every single year and that factors in these rising salaries.

You aren’t getting a combo of throw away free agents that will make up for what you would pay him . . . .people think that every year and every year its overpriced garbage or you have to spend high end to get something decent . . . .may as well keep Howard then.

If not, trade him now, and you will get 2 first rounders for him with teams knowing they have another cheap, young year on him.

Don’t let this linger tho.

If they don’t figure out a way to re-sign him, this team can go **** itself. Top paid CB averages $15m. He’s going to get around that or more and I’m fine with that. Somebody will get even more than that the next year and so on. Unless they are trading him for Derwin James or 3 1st rounders, I’m not interested.

He needs to be signed long term to a fair contract. However, if his agent wants to make this a test case to reset the bar, then try and trade him.
Given the position he plays he and Tunsil have the highest trade value of any other players on the team.
Can probably get 2 1st rounders for him.
Excellent points.

Wow
Resigning him will be very difficult

Jot this down....

We will overpay handsomly or X won't be here. I don't foresee any middle ground here.

He might be a budding star and great at his position, but until we find the right HC, FO and QB, I don't want big contracts that we will have to destroy our cap getting out of later to be signed. Let us not saddle our future with more bad money.

Bad because he may not fit the next regime.

This is why continuing to settle for mediocrity in leadership wrecks your team. Contracts for players from previous regimes (RT, Suh, etc) only slow down the process.

I'd rather get .new regime and trade X for picks than sign him to a big money contract we have to eat in a few years because the fans are desperate to have a big name now.
Can then slap the tag on him.
Hopefully, it doesn't come down to that, but I wonder why Howard chose the same agent after seeing that tiff between Bilbo and the Dolphins.
Guess he saw Landry get paid what he wanted in Cleveland.

yeah my thoughts too, I just hate the damn tag, ties up so much money for one year on one player. the tag is always an option but just think that just frustrates both sides, pay market value or slightly over to keep your homegrown talent. there will be no such thing as hometown discounts anymore in this generation of players. heck even some of the old guys like brees say no hometown discount and this generation is a lot more me first. I guess he did see that Bibo got Landry a lot more than the friggin market value for what hes worth.

And as far as the 2nd part, I think it was Saturday I was drinking and was thinking about how jalen ramsey was on trade block and so on, and I think there was a post about him somewhere here around the time people were talking about trading for him. you know what, screw it, just cut the fat on all the expensive contracts we can rid ourselves and save as much money as possible. screw it, trade for Ramsey, lock him and X up. McCain inside, MF and RJ safeties, spend all draft pics on both sides of the line. get the smartest QB we can possibly find, doesn't have to have cannon arm or mobile, just a smart QB that can go through progressions and play conservative as hell which wouldn't bother gase and see if we can win every game next year 17-3. nobody has been scared of our defense in years, maybe a player or two, but our defense in entirety nope.

Back
Top Bottom