Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback

I wouldn’t be willing to spend that but who knows

I’m the opposite, all in on Tua one more year develop Skylar, use money elsewhere
I dont think relying on Skylar as the #2 is a great idea. Hes pretty pedestrian.

I want a backup with a higher ceiling than Skylar. There are so many free agent QBs this year. Go get one with a good arm. If Tua is out I want a guy that can at least throw it deep to Hill and Waddle.

A bunch of guys are available like Geno, Dalton, Minshew, and Brissett. I keep going back to Drew Lock. That kid has a big arm. He threw a very nice deep ball at Missouri. His ceiling is so much higher than Skylar.
Don’t you think Skylar deserves a chance to grow and have the lightbulb go on before you pass final judgement on him?

Tua was the 5th overall pick and he didn’t play at a high level until year 3….Even then he had some poor performances like Green Bay?

I dont think relying on Skylar as the #2 is a great idea. Hes pretty pedestrian.
idk, Purdy looks lightyears ahead of Skyler. Some just have it some don't. The GOAT went 11 for 14 in his first year coming in cold. We don't have time to work with Skyler as a 2.

If price tag is right, I’d get Baker Mayfield.

Miami is an attractive spot for any borderline starter. QB friendly offense, speedy WRs, and a starter that’s likely to get injured which the franchise hasn’t given a mega contract to yet.

Ah, yes, Baker Mayfield…

Baker Mayfield, to me, is a rich man’s Gardner Minshew. He‘s known to play off script, and for a highly choreographed Mike McDaniel offense that may be a deal killer. He squandered OBJ in Cleveland. Also, Baker and Minshew’s per game stats, they’re damn near identical—e.g. Completion %, TD%, Int%, YPG—so more $ doesn’t buy more average production.

The backup QB market stinks this offseason. Hopefully we see some surprise cuts to challenge the notion of only needing to stick with Skylar.

Ah, yes, Baker Mayfield…

Baker Mayfield, to me, is a rich man’s Gardner Minshew. He‘s known to play off script, and for a highly choreographed Mike McDaniel offense that may be a deal killer. He squandered OBJ in Cleveland. Also, Baker and Minshew’s per game stats, they’re damn near identical—e.g. Completion %, TD%, Int%, YPG—so more $ doesn’t buy more average production.

The backup QB market stinks this offseason. Hopefully we see some surprise cuts to challenge the notion of only needing to stick with Skylar.
I don’t think there’s a chance in hell we roll with Sky as num 2. It would be a failure of the organization in epic fashion. We’ll get someone, I have no doubt

idk, Purdy looks lightyears ahead of Skyler. Some just have it some don't. The GOAT went 11 for 14 in his first year coming in cold. We don't have time to work with Skyler as a 2.
I think it has to with Kyle being a much better coach than McD. He’s also a much more experienced playcaller. And the 49ers have I think better personnel.

The point is, seeing that you’re having trouble understanding the point, yes, he either has to be healthy next year or it will be time to move on..

So saying that I’m banking on it is the same as saying he better stay healthy
I mean I get your point but let’s say

We start the season like 3-0 with Tua

He gets some injury and misses 3-4 weeks, or over the season . And then we have Tua finish out the season healthy and into the playoffs because the backup was able to win those games early on …. That’s not what you’d want?

I have found myself to be increasingly pro-Skyler as time has gone on.

A very untested rookie came in on Wild-card weekend and almost got us a win... on the road. He wasn't great, but the moment wasn't too big for him-- there was no meltdown.

I've read the criticism, and to this I've only got one question. Don't you think that a rookie will only get better, especially since he was only getting third team reps in practice?

Sure, bring in someone cheap... but don't structure that contract in a way where we pay guaranteed money, because we might want to cut that player at the end of camp.

I have found myself to be increasingly pro-Skyler as time has gone on.

A very untested rookie came in on Wild-card weekend and almost got us a win... on the road. He wasn't great, but the moment wasn't too big for him-- there was no meltdown.

I've read the criticism, and to this I've only got one question. Don't you think that a rookie will only get better, especially since he was only getting third team reps in practice?

Sure, bring in someone cheap... but don't structure that contract in a way where we pay guaranteed money, because we might want to cut that player at the end of camp.
He played in 7 games and threw 1 TD... just 1 and had a rating of 62.

If were serious about being contenders we need someone better.

Back
Top Bottom