Post Draft Free Agent Signings | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Draft Free Agent Signings

I am not against bringing Beckham in, just trying to temper expectations a little bit.

He has not been a difference maker for a while, he had his moments with LA but he has about 100 catches in the last 4 seasons(5 years) combined.
Why do you “temper expectations” on a WR3??? That’s the definition of a WR3.

Our line is going to be a problem once again.
Filling it full of cast off guys isn't going to solve it long term.
We seem to value skill positions way more than the line.
Our line wasn’t a problem last year except for injuries. We still had an elite running game and one if the least sacked QBs in the NFL. Just stop already, you’re embarrassing yourself.

Our line wasn’t a problem last year except for injuries. We still had an elite running game and one if the least sacked QBs in the NFL. Just stop already, you’re embarrassing yourself.
Though I don't think we are in as horrible shape as some purport, but let's be honest with ourselves.

Tua being one of the least sacked had more to do with getting the ball out fast, rather than stellar line play. Using that as a positive is disingenuous at best because if we don't give the QB time to let route combos develope and go through his progressions, the better defenses that most playoff caliber teams have will be able to render us ineffective. Sure, we will still hit a big play now and then, but we will also have extended periods where we can't sustain methodical drives.

Being able to read pre snap and let the ball go on time with accuracy when he hits the back step of his drop is great until it isn't. When defenses can disrupt that by crashing down into the void areas, or jam guys at the line with physicality, we need to expand what we do. Those are perfect opportunities to make defenses pay for the over aggressiveness. You can only do that by holding the ball long enough for receivers to uncover.

Though I don't think we are in as horrible shape as some purport, but let's be honest with ourselves.

Tua being one of the least sacked had more to do with getting the ball out fast, rather than stellar line play. Using that as a positive is disingenuous at best because if we don't give the QB time to let route combos develope and go through his progressions, the better defenses that most playoff caliber teams have will be able to render us ineffective. Sure, we will still hit a big play now and then, but we will also have extended periods where we can't sustain methodical drives.

Being able to read pre snap and let the ball go on time with accuracy when he hits the back step of his drop is great until it isn't. When defenses can disrupt that by crashing down into the void areas, or jam guys at the line with physicality, we need to expand what we do. Those are perfect opportunities to make defenses pay for the over aggressiveness. You can only do that by holding the ball long enough for receivers to uncover.
Exactly this. If our strategy, after replacing Hunt & Connor with an undersized C who can't pass pro, is "don't get injured as much as last year" we are toast in December.

People are just looking at stats instead of replaying the games -- Connor getting knocked out killed our ability to drive, even if we got the ball out fast enough to avoid QB hits. Good teams took away that read and we had no answer. If Eichenberg is our backup C again this year, much less starting RG, we are looking at another late season collapse when the injuries pile up.

Our line is going to be a problem once again.
Filling it full of cast off guys isn't going to solve it long term.
We seem to value skill positions way more than the line.

Lazy thinking at its best. - LOL

Over-stated and under-brained is no way to go through life.
Hyperbole is not a good substitute for lack of knowledge!

Exactly this. If our strategy, after replacing Hunt & Connor with an undersized C who can't pass pro, is "don't get injured as much as last year" we are toast in December.

People are just looking at stats instead of replaying the games -- Connor getting knocked out killed our ability to drive, even if we got the ball out fast enough to avoid QB hits. Good teams took away that read and we had no answer. If Eichenberg is our backup C again this year, much less starting RG, we are looking at another late season collapse when the injuries pile up.
Well, like I said in the first sentence, I'm not as down on the Oline as some, including you apparently.

Brewer is fine for this scheme. You can't have a non mobile brick wall at the pivot if wide zone is a staple, and his pass pro is not as bad as you are purporting, IMO. If you prefer a more power run centric approach, I don't know what to tell you. That's not what we do under McD.

Driscoll may, or may not be the starter over Eich on the right side. Both are decent and versatile depth players at a minimum, though, and I think it's likely we bring in at least one more experienced G before TC.

On the left side, Wynn is more than competent, as is Jones, who has actually developed nicely, behind Wynn. They aren't going to be All Pro candidates, but not huge liabilities who need "help" against most teams on a regular basis.

Tackle seams pretty solid after drafting Paul, a large and athletic player with all the desired measurables for which one could ask.

Well, like I said in the first sentence, I'm not as down on the Oline as some, including you apparently.

Brewer is fine for this scheme. You can't have a non mobile brick wall at the pivot if wide zone is a staple, and his pass pro is not as bad as you are purporting, IMO. If you prefer a more power run centric approach, I don't know what to tell you. That's not what we do under McD.

Driscoll may, or may not be the starter over Eich on the right side. Both are decent and versatile depth players at a minimum, though, and I think it's likely we bring in at least one more experienced G before TC.

On the left side, Wynn is more than competent, as is Jones, who has actually developed nicely, behind Wynn. They aren't going to be All Pro candidates, but not huge liabilities who need "help" against most teams on a regular basis.

Tackle seams pretty solid after drafting Paul, a large and athletic player with all the desired measurables for which one could ask.
I am probably coming across more grouchy than I intend, and agree with almost everything you mentioned (including Brewer). I just don't see him staying healthy all year and don't think Eich's versatility includes center on a playoff-caliber team. My only concern with Wynn is durability, but that's how it goes for most.

well this bodes well for our 6th round pick. clearly a mcdaniel pick. he had the same reaction last year with achane, also clearly his guy. could mean they now feel set at WR, and will prioritize guard in what remains of FA:

When that guy is happy about a skill player, you have to take note.

Great post. I share your optimism and feel like we’re going to see an improved O-Line this year.

One thing that people seem to overlook when bemoaning our OL is organic improvement from within over the 2 prior seasons under McD. AJax was extremely young and green when he was drafted and we’ve definitely seen the light bulb turn on for this kid. Add to that the fact that he hasn’t hit his ceiling yet and the 2024 season version of AJax should be an improvement over the 2023 version.

They brought back a few solid but unspectacular pieces on the OL and I think it’s fair to expect that the continuity helps lead to improvement at those positions as well.

I’m bullish at Tackle with the trio of Armstead/AJax/Paul. We know that there’s no way in hell Armstead’s gonna play every game this year so we’ll see Paul getting bits and pieces of playing time and that should help accelerate his development, I absolutely love the signing of Brewer in the run game and I think McD/Berry can get solid use out of him in pass pro. Guard is a bit more sketchy and that’s where I’d like to see the front office take a few more swings at improving those two positions. That being said, with Robert Hunt leaving, last season he missed 6 games and pieces of others with injury. The guys they’re plugging in at Guard fall into the category of solid but unspectacular that I mentioned earlier and I think it’s fair to expect a little organic improvement there too.

I hate to state the obvious but if we catch a break and stay fairly healthy, I think we’ve got an OL in place that can at least be decent.

Back
Top Bottom