Post Draft Free Agent Signings | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Draft Free Agent Signings

Pointless sometimes talking in here as people seem to think wynn injured most years
Brewer undersized and Driscoll will solve our problems.
When time is required on 3rd and long we will once again be in trouble

People say they wanted 2 or 3 rookie olinemen, but as soon as those players go through the ups and downs of being a rookie or take a few years to develop those same people will start chanting that the team sucks and you need to tear down the whole roster and start over.

I'm curious to see what vets shake loose around the league as teams start trying to make room on the roster for their new rookie toys. Usually you will see a few players with decent tread on the tires made available between now and the end of training camp.

Last edited:
He’s been more than fine in the role he’s been asked to play in both LA and Baltimore, and that’s the role he would have in Miami.
IF the role will be to make 35 catches I am sure we can find someone to do that a lot cheaper.

Barring injury you can write Wynn and Eich/Driscoll in sharpee as starting guards; at most one other IOL will make the roster for depth. None of those 3 were playing OG during the late season swoon.

What Miami needs to do is stay healthy, blast their opponents when the weather is fair, win home field advantage and not worry about that cold stuff in the playoffs.

Win the division, be the 1 or 2 seed and you don't have to worry about the weather. You know like if we would've beaten the Titans or Bills last year

Everything you said is correct.

Now… back to reality… do you truly believe they’ll do that? Get home field advantage? Do you truly believe we’ll stay healthy at the important spots all year long? Honest questions no condescension

It’s insane to me that the response to get tougher is “well let’s just play perfect the first 3/4 of the season so we don’t have to get tougher!”

Which is basically what you’re saying when your concept is “just get home field advantage”. How about build a system that wins regardless?

Though I don't think we are in as horrible shape as some purport, but let's be honest with ourselves.

Tua being one of the least sacked had more to do with getting the ball out fast, rather than stellar line play. Using that as a positive is disingenuous at best because if we don't give the QB time to let route combos develope and go through his progressions, the better defenses that most playoff caliber teams have will be able to render us ineffective. Sure, we will still hit a big play now and then, but we will also have extended periods where we can't sustain methodical drives.

Being able to read pre snap and let the ball go on time with accuracy when he hits the back step of his drop is great until it isn't. When defenses can disrupt that by crashing down into the void areas, or jam guys at the line with physicality, we need to expand what we do. Those are perfect opportunities to make defenses pay for the over aggressiveness. You can only do that by holding the ball long enough for receivers to uncover.
I agree but although there probably arent any tranformational pieces that will be affordable and able to upgrade the OL, some additional scheme adjustments might work just as well.

To my untrained eye something that was often lacking was an outlet option assigned to chip a defender then float into a safe, positive yardage place to take dump offs from Tua when the desired play is covered on the first scan and pressure is coming. This would usually be an RB but could also be the FB, TE or even a slot WR that is designated nominally to draw coverage ot block but secondarily to stay alert and mirror Tua if he has to roll out to avoid pressure. Seems like the smartest teams have such a safety outlet available more often than not to prevent sacks/turnovers and at least afford 3+ yards of forward gain even when the other team correctly defends our preferred passes.

Elite OL are scarce and carry a heavy cap cost to maintain over time, but teams can succeed in spite of filling a guard spot or two with JAGs.

It’s insane to me that the response to get tougher is “well let’s just play perfect the first 3/4 of the season so we don’t have to get tougher!”

Which is basically what you’re saying when your concept is “just get home field advantage”. How about build a system that wins regardless?
We have a few more years of thoughtful team building to have it all. The trend is good look at where we are now vs 3 or even 2 years ago. In the meanwhile we have to try workarounds and give the team a chance to succeed with an imperfect roster. Nobody is throwing in the towel at this stage, even if that is how some folks interpret the team's strategy. There are no guarantees even with the best rosters (KC. Sf, PHI).

IF the role will be to make 35 catches I am sure we can find someone to do that a lot cheaper.
That’s part of his role. The other part would be to provide insurance for Hill and Waddle in case either of them miss time. I think he is still capable of providing number two WR production.

i am wondering if w the two receivers they drafted, admittedly late, the focus will shift back to the OL as the priority in FA?
While UDFA o-linemen may be okay as camp bodies, it could be that Grier is waiting for cuts to be made to look for possible starting and/or back-up o-linemen. Actually, I hope that's the case for two reasons. One, in recent history (since Philbin), with very few exceptions, the majority of Miami's best o-linemen were guys drafted by other teams. And two, there could be some decent veterans cut who may still have a few years left in them, or young guys with potential who don't fit the scheme of their current team. Some of these guys must surely be better than someone like Eichenberg, and they'd be cheaper than signing a high-priced FA.

That said, Grier has a bad habit of signing guys with a history of injuries (Armstead, Wynn, for example), and he needs to stop that!

I think he is still capable of providing number two WR production.
WHY?

He was supposed to do that last year in Baltimore and he put up 35 catches.

I would expect to get that out of Malik Washington and he will cost whatever 6th round rookies get.

35 catches is 2 a game.

Berrios had 27 on 33 targets, Beckham had double the targets(2nd on the team so he ws featured) to outpace Berrios by 8.

The SS Beckham has sailed and it hit the rocks pretty hard, not sunk but sinking.

WHY?

I would expect to get that out of Malik Washington and he will cost whatever 6th round rookies get.

35 catches is 2 a game.

Berrios had 27 on 33 targets, Beckham had double the targets(2nd on the team so he ws featured) to outpace Berrios by 8.

The SS Beckham has sailed and it hit the rocks pretty hard, not sunk but sinking.
The team no longer needs OBJ

WHY?

35 catches is 2 a game.

A lot of that is predicated on the way the Ravens and Lamar Jackson play. Baltimore is a run first offense and Jackson isn't a timing passing type QB. I think OBJ would work better with a guy like Tua who throws on time to a precise spot on the field. I think Becham is better suited for being an outside receiver than Malik Washington is, especially at this point in their careers.

Back
Top Bottom