Post Preseason Game #2: Stock Report | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Preseason Game #2: Stock Report

MVP of the Game

• The Offensive Line

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Chad Henne

Votes: 41 29.5%
  • Reggie Bush

Votes: 80 57.6%
  • Daniel Thomas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have to go with Henne on this one. He gets hammered everytime he threws a pick. So you have to give him props when he doesn't throw any. The Oline looked good but when the pocket broke down Henne was out of there. I saw some nice passes from Chad last nite. Once he gets on the same page as C. Gates that's going to be a dangerous play. It would be worst if the passes were short but he is overthrowing Gates. That's a timing issue I'm sure they will work on. Yes it was just preseason like everyone keeps saying. However 194 yards no INTS in the first half. Keep Rocking out Chad.

Go Phins!

Aside from the high snaps I didn't like Pouncey at the goal line. He got no push at all. Murtha has improved quite nicely from season. Columbo flat out sucks. When Jakes back they need to move Murtha to RT and cut Columbo.

Stock Up:

Brian Daboll: Play calling was vanilla since it was a preseason game but clearly this guy is light years ahead of Dan Henning. He showed creativity and the ability to call plays designed to getting balls into the play makers hands (Bush, Marshall). It was nice to see 5 receiver sets on 3rd and long. I know he ran it into the line 4 consecutive plays on the goal line, but part of me just thinks that was the Dolphins not wanting to give anyone film on other plays they might call.

Clyde Gates: I know he didn't have a catch and his only reverse went for a loss but this guy needs to be on the field more. Henne just overthrew him on the long pass which would have been an easy TD. On the play no one on defense could keep up with him, and there was help over the top. Two plays later he was back on the field on third and long and everyone on D had there eyes on him. Because of that Bess had a one on one which he easily beat to pick up the first down.

Stock Down:

Hartline: I have been a fan of Hartline for a while now, but with Gates showing off the speed which opens up everything on offense, Hartline's role should decrease. He is a lock to make the team and should be our number 2 receiver to start the year, but if Gates keeps improving I hope he overtakes him by midpoint of the year.

If the QB's would not over throw him he would be leading the team in TD's with 4 this preseason. The guy is a stud.

Mike Pouncey is a terrific blocker, I already knew that and never questioned it. It's the high snaps that are going to remain an issue. You always hear the SAME person constantly saying that Pouncey's snaps were an issue at the beginning of the season for Florida, and weren't an issue by the end of the season... that's not the case. The first game against Miami (Ohio) just happened to be the worst, and an unmitigated disaster, but the high snaps continued to be an issue all year for Pouncey. He's a wrist snapper, that's why his snaps are inconsistent. He's a natural guard trying to play center because it's the most important position on the offensive line other than left tackle in an effort to get drafted higher.... I've heard Pouncey's father talk specifically about this.

Lydon Murtha looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. He's still not ready. The penalties were out of control, and he was blown up on the reverse play so bad that him and the DE he was engaged with were both in the backfield so far that it impeded the path of the skill positions trying to execute the reverse.

Colombo. Is. Terrible. Go back and watch the play where Henne had to scramble around and ended up hitting Fasano for the big play..... Colombo was late getting out of his stance, failed to even identify the free blitzers, by the time he did manage to get out of his stance... all he did was stand straight up and failed to find work. He just let guys run right past him without even so much as impeding their path. As bad of a negative play as an offensive lineman can have if you're grading film.

Daniel Thomas and his issues have already been touched on.

Fasano is Fasano. You just live with the good and the bad until they finally decide to upgrade.

Positives:

Ed Gates. He continues to blow by defensive backs and gain seperation. It's hard for DB's to run with that kid.

Nic Grigsby did an excellent job in pass protection picking up blitzers. Again, I'd keep him over Kory Sheets.

Kevin Burnett made more "splash" plays, and was around the ball more last night than Crowder has been in an entire season. I can't believe there's still a few people out there that think he's not an upgrade over Crowder... and you know who you are.

Reggie Bush. Duh. I also can't believe there's people that can't see the talent this kid possesses, and how much better he makes everyone around him at the other skill positions... including Drew Brees. His attitude and the way he plays the game is refreshing. His skillset is a MUCH needed dimension in Miami.

Chad Henne. Daboll has helped him incorporate a new element to his decision making. Playmaker. Mistakes be damned, you were making them anyway. If you're going to make mistakes, make 'em by trying to make plays. He still has issues with throwing late outside the numbers, and they WILL result in pick 6's. He still has issues with his ball placement, and timing on certain routes. He's not a "cerebral" quarterback, and the nuances and little details that matter just don't come easy to him.

He'll be better in Daboll's system, but I still see very much the same quarterback when you get right down to it. I still see the same flaws the seperate the elite QB's in this league.

Chad Henne played like a guy with something to prove last night.... because he does. Good job.

Good right up bro, keep em coming. And I agree with all thats been said on this thread so far, except the point of Hartlines stock lowering. If anything I think he solidified why he is our number 2, he makes the clutch chain-moving catches when we need em' (a'la Camerillo) and somehow some-way, seems to consistantly get seperation on posts and streaks. Henne just needs to hit him in stride and theyre auto TDs, but that will take time considering Henning had Henne's arm under such tight wraps im suprised he can even move it anymore. Just give him time to forget all that Lee & Henning "taught" him, and find his inner cannon again and we'll be clicking on all cylinders.

All in all this game was a box of positives. Just need to sustain!

Good right up bro, keep em coming. And I agree with all thats been said on this thread so far, except the point of Hartlines stock lowering. If anything I think he solidified why he is our number 2, he makes the clutch chain-moving catches when we need em' (a'la Camerillo) and somehow some-way, seems to consistantly get seperation on posts and streaks. Henne just needs to hit him in stride and theyre auto TDs, but that will take time considering Henning had Henne's arm under such tight wraps im suprised he can even move it anymore. Just give him time to forget all that Lee & Henning "taught" him, and find his inner cannon again and we'll be clicking on all cylinders.

All in all this game was a box of positives. Just need to sustain!

I think that is my hope with Chad as well . . . sort of a "deprogramming" from Lee and Henning and then get reprogrammed under Daboll. Colt McCoy is not a bad QB . . . he learned under Daboll. This guy did work under Belichek, he is well regarded by some big named gurus in the game.

Chad may be what he is . . . but I have always said I won't be content with being done with him until I see him under a new OC and a change in philosophy . . . and I have less confidence that we would have turned Matt Ryan into the "Matty Ice" he is today under Henning and Lee.

hey slimm the reverse play was actually garner at left tackle...but the panthers de's were lining up so wide all game and rushing wide that other than to get in on tape for coaching purposes i don't know why you try that play there...it was almost as if garner missed the call in the huddle...worst case instead of letting the de just flow up field that wide outside cut him and give the reverse runner a soft corner to turn

other than that play though i thought garner played a pretty solid left tackle series there...albeit against average edge rushers...i don't think i ever saw charles johnson who's overrated imo to begin with matched up with him that series

an actual Accurate report..... CK must be beside himself

I was very impressed with Burnett, he seems a big upgrade over Crowder. With Soliai, Dansby and Burnett we should be really solid up the middle.

I'd have Chad throwing 50 bombs to Gates for 30 minutes after practice everyday until they get "on the same page"...we need that element in this offense.

I think even Henne's worst critic has to notice how much more athletic he looks physically and on the field these past 2 games. It's those things that should be given notice, because you combine that with the "leadership" role he has taken this offseason, as a Dolphins fan you gotta say, "damn, the guy is trying to get better" . . . and honestly that is all you can ask. If he isn't good enough, than so be it . . . but I appreciate the effort he is putting in, despite the trouble the fans have given him this offseason. He hasn't given up and I hope he is able to prove all the doubters wrong . . . because that will make everybody happy (except for the select few idiots who probably are trolling Jets fans on this board) in the end.
i hear what you have to say but this stupid FO has looked stupid once again.first they f up the search for a new coach , then they search for a new QB and fail .im sure this was a big blow to Henne and i at least hope he looks at it as a wake up call and nothing Moore.maybe this FO will get it soon and we can be at the top of the division once again

great thread idea and good review. i was happy to see henne more comfortable in the pocket, i still dont have faith in him but that would be a huge step up in his game if he doesnt panic back there.

Garner and Murtha are the guys I'd like to give props too. Garner once again showed his versatility and stepped in for a series or 2 and played LT, while he might not be Pro Bowl material, he showed enough, against Carolina's top pass rusher to say WOW, this guy can play every position along the line in a pinch!!! props to Garner for his hard work and dedication ... Murtha on the other hand, has IMO, shown enough at LT to at least feel comfortable if Long were to be out long term ... While Murtha has been penalty prone, he has also shown the ability to collapse the left side of the line on running plays in 2 games so far I've counted 4 times he's completely destroyed the left side leaving a gaping hole for the running backs to run ... I agree that Murtha needs more experience, and like Lombardi said on NFLN, this is solid experience for Murtha and gives Miami a swing tackle that most teams have a hard time finding ... to be honest i feel alot better about the depth along the o-line than i did last year, thanks in large part to the return of Garner and Murtha's continued improvement ... they may not be the long term answer at any one position, but I'm sure 99% of the other teams would love to have these 2 guys on their roster competing ... and has far as the o-line as a whole, they did what they were suppose to do against a lesser opponent, the beat them like a drum ... can't ask for anything more than what they showed against the Panther's 1st string d-line!!!

Back
Top Bottom