Preston Williams Addresses ‘challenging’ Preseason Game | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preston Williams Addresses ‘challenging’ Preseason Game

"I guess some folks are just so jaded after the years of under-performance and disappointment their natural inclination now is to go negative. I just don't see the point in being a fan anymore (or at least actively participating in a fan forum) because the barrage of negativity kind of poo poos it for others..."

Well thought out description of what I have observed on this forum. I now just refer to them as lemmings and their product as lemming juice or lemming drops. It cheers me up a little and helps keep me from getting "wound around the axle".
Half the reason I don't post much here is I can't stand the constant negativity. I've been a fan almost as long as they have been in existence, and even after all this time, I'm still optimistic each and every year. Once that optimism ceases to exist, there's no point in being a fan any longer. I think after almost 5 decades a fan if anyone has earned the right to be negative it would be me, yet I refuse to be. Why? Because good or bad, they're still my team and all that negativity drowns out hope...

Kinda way too early to tell, that's the whole point. No one is saying he's Jerry Rice, they just like what they see in him so far, nothing wrong with being optimistic about a young player on your team. He may be or he may not be better than the four you mentioned, although a pretty strong argument could be made he's already shown more than Devante Parker has. My suggestion would be to allow a little time before you pass judgment, at this point to say he is trash is kinda irresponsible and diminishes any credibility your argument may have. There is no factual basis to your argument, he hasn't even played in a regular-season game yet...

That's the difference, I never said he was trash just mediocre. It's getting ridiculous how much hype this dude is getting

Like Giants fans that think Daniel Jones is the answer after 5 pre season series the same rule applies. Its pre season. Guys go up and down. I don’t see separation and his hands are questionable. A couple of circus catches dont make a successful career. If he makes the roster I don’t see him being active until he cleans some things up.

That's the difference, I never said he was trash just mediocre. It's getting ridiculous how much hype this dude is getting
It wasn't all that long ago they were saying the same things about Cam Wake. As you're well aware it's not too often we get something to be excited about around here. Is it really that bad to get excited seeing a kid make catches that no receiver has made around here in years? That's what being a fan is all about.
You are correct, he may fizzle out, but that's no reason to rain on the parade at this point. I'm sure you want us to win as badly as any fan does, so understand when you make comments as you did, you're trampling on someone's hope, and some of these fans are pretty passionate, I know I am. The time may come when you are proven correct, but at least wait till your argument is proven before you trash him. If you wind up being right, I'll be the first to say Lynx was right, just try to be a little more diplomatic in your initial approach and assessment, you'll be more respected moving forward. It's just so negative around here anymore, don't feed it, help it. After all, we're not Jets fans here, we should be more civilized than that...

Like Giants fans that think Daniel Jones is the answer after 5 pre season series the same rule applies. Its pre season. Guys go up and down. I don’t see separation and his hands are questionable. A couple of circus catches dont make a successful career. If he makes the roster I don’t see him being active until he cleans some things up.
He has the talent and has shown that he just needs to clean up the technique which is doable. Can't teach talent, everything else is correctable.

It wasn't all that long ago they were saying the same things about Cam Wake. As you're well aware it's not too often we get something to be excited about around here. Is it really that bad to get excited seeing a kid make catches that no receiver has made around here in years? That's what being a fan is all about.
You are correct, he may fizzle out, but that's no reason to rain on the parade at this point. I'm sure you want us to win as badly as any fan does, so understand when you make comments as you did, you're trampling on someone's hope, and some of these fans are pretty passionate, I know I am. The time may come when you are proven correct, but at least wait till your argument is proven before you trash him. If you wind up being right, I'll be the first to say Lynx was right, just try to be a little more diplomatic in your initial approach and assessment, you'll be more respected moving forward. It's just so negative around here anymore, don't feed it, help it. After all, we're not Jets fans here, we should be more civilized than that...

You know it's OK to have a different opinion though right? We're not allowed to debate anymore? As for Cam Wake, I was one of the only people here saying he had mass talent and should be starting. I'm from Canada and I knew the potential from the CFL. As far as PW goes, I'll wait and see

You know it's OK to have a different opinion though right? We're not allowed to debate anymore? As for Cam Wake, I was one of the only people here saying he had mass talent and should be starting. I'm from Canada and I knew the potential from the CFL. As far as PW goes, I'll wait and see
Absolutely, a debate is healthy but remember in the end, your debating people who love the same team as you and want the same successes you do, not a Jets fan, it shouldn't be as polarizing as politics, which it seems to be at times. Just soften your language is all I'm saying and be respectful and you have the right to the same treatment. A simple "I disagree and here's why..." would be a good approach. You are on here, you love the team, I have no doubt, just tone down the way you present the objections a bit and you'll be fine. That's all I'm saying. The debate is healthy as long as it's civil and we're not throwing rocks at each other. Now if I may ask, how the hell did you become a FIns fan way up in the Great North? That's a loooong way to Miami from there.

Using a guy this big as a punt returner seems like a bizarre choice. I like the sawed off, shifty guys at punt returner. Maybe they just like his reliable hands back there. Maybe he’s a guy you use when you’re backed up returning a punt because he won’t turn over a gift to the other side.

As for receiver, as stated many times, receiver is a tough position to come in as a rookie and dominate. Unlike running back where athleticism and instinct can pull you through right away, receiver is much more of a craft.

I don’t think the test is whether he catches 65 balls for 1000 yards and seven TDS. I think it’s about whether he develops and shows promise so he can turn it on in future years.

Absolutely, a debate is healthy but remember in the end, your debating people who love the same team as you and want the same successes you do, not a Jets fan, it shouldn't be as polarizing as politics, which it seems to be at times. Just soften your language is all I'm saying and be respectful and you have the right to the same treatment. A simple "I disagree and here's why..." would be a good approach. You are on here, you love the team, I have no doubt, just tone down the way you present the objections a bit and you'll be fine. That's all I'm saying. The debate is healthy as long as it's civil and we're not throwing rocks at each other. Now if I may ask, how the hell did you become a FIns fan way up in the Great North? That's a loooong way to Miami from there.

Dan Marino and my neighborhood friend was a Pats fan. He obviously was not a bandwagoner

Dan Marino and my neighborhood friend was a Pats fan. He obviously was not a bandwagoner
Certainly not from back in those days, he must have been a diehard! Good thing he didn't persuade you to go over to the dark side, although you would have had a hell of a lot more to celebrate in recent times.
I've spent time with Marino twice in my life. Had drinks with him and Elway on one occasion and walked off the field and into the locker room with him after the fake spike game in the Meadowlands.

Using a guy this big as a punt returner seems like a bizarre choice. I like the sawed off, shifty guys at punt returner. Maybe they just like his reliable hands back there. Maybe he’s a guy you use when you’re backed up returning a punt because he won’t turn over a gift to the other side.

As for receiver, as stated many times, receiver is a tough position to come in as a rookie and dominate. Unlike running back where athleticism and instinct can pull you through right away, receiver is much more of a craft.

I don’t think the test is whether he catches 65 balls for 1000 yards and seven TDS. I think it’s about whether he develops and shows promise so he can turn it on in future years.
I like seeing the small elusive guys returning punts, someone similar to Grants stature. The main thing is, not only do you need speed, but you also have to have great field vision and quick reactions to be successful.

I think if you put josh Gordon back there for instance as a returner despite his size you would see how fluid and twitchy he is.

Back
Top Bottom