Preston Williams | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preston Williams

If you compare him versus other rookie receivers, then it shows a different picture. Through 5 games:

• 2nd in receptions with 24
  • 6th in total yards
  • 15th in avg yards
  • 4th in yds per game
  • 2nd in first downs

yeah and I’m sure he’s also getting a lot more opportunity this year than other rookie WRs.

in terms of snap count etc.

not that I’m trying to knock it but I’m sure it plays into it.

You are being way to rational and reasonable for this knee jerk, lack of patience era.

This is the Madden era...you are rated with a number and that’s what you are.

We expect immediate perfection and for them to play to their full potential from game one...no adjustment period allowed.

Of course I’m exercising sarcasm.

I remember when a two year adjustment was the norm and expected for rookie receivers.
pretty much any position. Year 1 is the rookie year. The NFL is much faster, has better and bigger athletes than in college, playbooks are bigger and more complicated and in case of WRs the passes you have to catch from QBs are more crisp. There is a lot to learn and comprehend as a rookie.
Year 2 is when you want to see if a young player could become what you have hoped for.
It always has been that way. This stupid "I need instant gratification and expect perfection" is pathetic.

The absurdity of wanting him out, dumped and/or traded is beyond normal human understanding. The kid had problems in college, transfered and had only one full season in college. We didn't invest crap in him. We got him as an undrafted FA. This year is all about evaluation from the QB down to the waterboy.

Fitz is hot/cold...Rosen is inconsistent, possibly overwelmed...The running has been inconsistent...Players on the O-line are being switched in and out to find a combined unit that is only slightly terrible...There is no other receiver that has been more dangerous then Williams, but FA Williams is already considered a bust?

Miami should somewhat be able to fix the line, find a Quality to great QB, and find a more consistent receiver next year...Let's see how Williams looks after these changes.

Color me silly, but since Williams never suffered from drops while in college, I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt that he’s a bit overwhelmed and distracted adjusting from the level of play in the Mountain West Conference to a different universe called the NFL.

He admitted as much in the interview conducted in the article posted above. He’s learning a ton of new things and trying to play faster, which causes mental lapses. Once things begin to slow down for him, we‘ll be able to better assess his performances.

Something that i've noticed and i could be wrong on this is a lack of "aggression" in P.Williams play. Compared to college he almost seems "passive"

His style of play more than his size is why some were comparing him to B.Marshall. Look at this highlight and tell me if this seems like the same physically aggressive player?

There's no way the guy in those clips was letting a smaller single defender tackle him and get him to the ground.

He almost looks and plays like another version D.Parker at this stage.

Where are the broken tackles this season? Has he made any to speak of? YAC?

@ckparrothead I'm i just seeing things here or is there something to this?

Last edited:
PW recently made the expected rookie statement. (Paraphrase) The game feels like it is starting to slow down for him. I truly believe the lack of aggression and drops are a symptom of the game being a little too fast. I expect him to settle down a little and explode during one of the upcoming games. The boy only has 6 NFL games under his belt.

pretty much any position. Year 1 is the rookie year. The NFL is much faster, has better and bigger athletes than in college, playbooks are bigger and more complicated and in case of WRs the passes you have to catch from QBs are more crisp. There is a lot to learn and comprehend as a rookie.
Year 2 is when you want to see if a young player could become what you have hoped for.
It always has been that way. This stupid "I need instant gratification and expect perfection" is pathetic.

The absurdity of wanting him out, dumped and/or traded is beyond normal human understanding. The kid had problems in college, transfered and had only one full season in college. We didn't invest crap in him. We got him as an undrafted FA. This year is all about evaluation from the QB down to the waterboy.

As I see it... we hit the lottery with Preston Williams...I got an up close look at the Tampa scrimmage and he stands out and is impressive...does he have some development and adjustment to the pro game to accomplish?...of course, but strike gold we did!

I also haven’t closed the book on Rosen....I love the idea of developing him along with a top rookie from the 2020 draft.

If he can clean up his hands/fumbles, this guy can be a good number two boundary receiver. You still need to put him across from an alpha and find a tough slot guy but you’ve got one out of three. He can be very dangerous in the right situation. He has Plaxico Buress potential. This is one guy we are not wasting time on.

He’s an undrafted rookie who has already made more difficult catches, including preseason, than Ted Ginn (and his family) has made in his entire career. He’s 6’4” and his ceiling is pretty high. One of few pleasant things to watch on this team along with Walton. I still like Parker too.

Back
Top Bottom