QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

Stanzi threw 25 TD and 6 INTs, including the game last night. His INT ratio is 1.74%...345 attempts, 6 INTs. Not sure where you got 2.2%.

It was my mistake. I thought Yahoo's stats had yet to count last night's action. You're correct. He went from 4.93% interception rate in 2009 to 1.74% this year. He has a career 3.42% interception rate.

I think you're reaching big time criticizing Gabbert for that first interception.

And that last interception was one play among how many that he made? Where was the ground game to support him? Unlike Ricky Stanzi, he WAS the offense last night. They executed the game around him. They put the ball in his hands 70 times, only put the ball in other players' hands 16 times. And he rewarded them with an incredible 72% completion, while still keeping his yards per completion up at 10.6 yards, this against one of the top passing defenses in the nation. Ricky Stanzi had Marcus Coker barreling all over the Mizzou defense for 219 yards. He had it easy. And he still threw two bad interceptions.

I mean I understand the need to be cynical when something good is staring you in the face, I've been at the Draft game a long time and I know the actual "good" is pretty few and far between. I understand you have every reason to disagree with me and feel like that's ok, I encourage it. But I think you're out-thinking yourself on these two players.

I think there's something to be said for the criticism of Gabbert's shying away from contact, thought personally it's not something I mind as much because I want my QB to stay healthy first and then make good throws second. I also think you brought up exactly the right point about Gabbert's consistently off ball placement. But there's a difference between missing by 6 inches at 70 feet to a guy that's running at a fairly sharp left to right, and missing by 6 inches at 45 feet to a guy that's either staying still or coming back to you. Gabbert blew my mind with the consistent accuracy of his passes at 30 yard distances last night, and it's not even something I was expecting to see. The guy was putting on a CLINIC. And there's nothing to hold against him on that first interception, whether you're frustrated about Chad Henne's inability to read a defense or not doesn't change the fact that any criticism of that throw is nitpicky at best.

You nailed it again CK!!!

I think you're reaching big time criticizing Gabbert for that first interception.

And that last interception was one play among how many that he made? Where was the ground game to support him? Unlike Ricky Stanzi, he WAS the offense last night. They executed the game around him. They put the ball in his hands 70 times, only put the ball in other players' hands 16 times. And he rewarded them with an incredible 72% completion, while still keeping his yards per completion up at 10.6 yards, this against one of the top passing defenses in the nation. Ricky Stanzi had Marcus Coker barreling all over the Mizzou defense for 219 yards. He had it easy. And he still threw two bad interceptions.

I mean I understand the need to be cynical when something good is staring you in the face, I've been at the Draft game a long time and I know the actual "good" is pretty few and far between. I understand you have every reason to disagree with me and feel like that's ok, I encourage it. But I think you're out-thinking yourself on these two players.

I think there's something to be said for the criticism of Gabbert's shying away from contact, thought personally it's not something I mind as much because I want my QB to stay healthy first and then make good throws second. I also think you brought up exactly the right point about Gabbert's consistently off ball placement. But there's a difference between missing by 6 inches at 70 feet to a guy that's running at a fairly sharp left to right, and missing by 6 inches at 45 feet to a guy that's either staying still or coming back to you. Gabbert blew my mind with the consistent accuracy of his passes at 30 yard distances last night, and it's not even something I was expecting to see. The guy was putting on a CLINIC. And there's nothing to hold against him on that first interception, whether you're frustrated about Chad Henne's inability to read a defense or not doesn't change the fact that any criticism of that throw is nitpicky at best.

Gabbert played a heck of a game. His 72% completion was 10% above his season average coming into the game (62.2% for the regular season), his 7.6 yards per attempt was a yard better than the regular season (6.6 ypa, which is a bit low IMO but he has no deep threat, roster full of possession receivers). The game was put on his shoulders but they've been doing that all year. They have no running game, haven't had one all year. They rank 58th in the country in rushing as a team...it's not what they do.

On the other hand Stanzi played a bad game. He completed 52.4% of his passes, more than 12% below his average for the season (64.8%), he did improve on his ypa in that game going for 9.5 ypa but a lot of that came on the last play to Reisner (8.7 ypa on the season), he threw no TDs after throwing 25 in the regular season and he threw 2 INTs after having thrown 4 in the previous 12 games.

I can't say Stanzi sucks (though I know you want me to) after one bad bowl game and I can't say Gabbert is awesome (though you want me to) after one very solid bowl game. Like I said I will look at more games and figure it out but while everyone has their criteria for a QB I place a great deal of value on a quick release, consistancy/accuracy and field vision...three things Henne lacks.

well i just finally got a look at the first half from gabbert and man did i see some good stick throws...ropes...couple balls vs cover 2 dropped over the corner and in front of the safety that were just things of beauty...inside breaking vertical routes routes where the anticipation from gabbert was spot on vs zone coverage on long downs and distances...

as for the int at the end of the half i have to disagree with ck on that one somewhat...you can say thats a 23 yard stick throw so the placement can be off a bit but the wr is reaching back into the db to try and catch it and the dbs inside arm gets on the ball and it pops up in the air ...if that balls thrown inside where it should be that db has no play and its 6 easy points...at least from the angle where i can see it that ball placement sure looks like at least part of the issue...and the db early in the route grabs the wr to keep him from getting early separation which may have thrown off the timing as well...i thnk the wr and qb have to share some blame on that play cause there is a small window where i paused the dvr where it looks like the wr had both his hands on the ball prior to the db popping it up in the air with his hand where he maybe could have made a clean catch and secured the football...tough

but i'm not gonna kill the kid over that one throw either way...

bottom line is gabbert made a bunch of vertical throws that were just sick from the center of the field...sick...easy first round talent...easy

Last edited by a moderator:
More than anything, the criticism of that first INT just goes to show how well he played. I can nitpick it, I think we all can. But we're all looking for things to nitpick on the guy and when something like that -- a throw that hits the receiver in the hands -- is one of those things, then you know you're cooking with gas. I think it's important we not miss the forest for the trees on this thing.

The pocket awareness issues (leaving early, falling away from pressure -- both of which he's shown in other games I've seen of his) are a bigger issue projecting him to the next level for me than isolating that particular throw, especially when he nailed so many others.

I keep thinking about Gabbert within the context of Matt Stafford who came out and went #1 overall. As far as top QBs and #1 overalls go, to me Stafford was good but was not of the caliber that I knew (even at that time) that Sam Bradford would be. I knew nothing of Andrew Luck of course when Stafford came out, Luck hadn't even played yet, but I rate Luck the same place I rated Bradford, which is to say a different class of top QB than Stafford. To me, Blaine Gabbert is as good as, maybe a little better prospect than Matt Stafford. And that is why I have been thinking Gabbert could go top 5, will definitely go top 10, and when Simon finally got round to watching the tape and weighed in last night, he was right...if Andrew Luck does not come out Blaine Gabbert could be the #1 overall.

haha i go to all MU home games, even drove to lincoln. After watching the huskers destory him, and even when Blaine scrambles the wrs got ZERO seperation. He stuck some sick throws regardless and had some great runs after being murdered all game. Had Chase Daniel been the wb Mu would of got beat by 50. I agree with CK 100%. Iv bet friends here 100$ that he goes first rd, there blind to his NFL abilites. I only wish he could have played with Maclin- will franklen- Coffman and Rucker one year and see what the man could do. And the Only MU wb i remember beating OU

Well, all this means is he's playing himself out of reach for the Dolphins to draft . Nobody moves up or down faster on the draft board than a QB.

I have. I've tracked his handling of pressure and though it's not at Gabbert's level, it's a little bit inconsistent actually from game to game, it's still not even close to as bad as Mallett's. The only three QBs in the Draft I feel certain will handle an NFL rush in excellent fashion are Andrew Luck, Blaine Gabbert and Cameron Newton. No coincidence they're the three highest on my board.

The championship game is January 7th.

I just hope we get a shot at one of those 3 with our pick, or a regime with the nads to do what it takes to go get him.

assuming luck comes out, miami will need to move up into the cincinnati #3 spot in order to bet the farm on a blaine gebbart. he never gets past arizona or san francisco.

newton and mallet have skills but gebbart has the total upside package.

I'm hoping Brandon Weeden comes out and I could actually imagine the NFL making a collective mistake on his valuation due to his age. That could give Miami a crack at him at a VERY cheap price tag, relative to his skill set. I have to add his name to the three QBs in the draft that I feel handle pressure at an NFL level. He doesn't have the feet of Gabbert or Newton, probably not as fast as Luck either, but what he does is float naturally away from the rush, and because he has an absolute HOWITZER for an arm, and the confidence to know that he can keep reading the entire field and get the ball accurately anywhere he wants it, he is able to just keep floating away from the rush until he has the throw he wants. Only sacked 8 times all year. That's it. I have 533 snaps on record from ESPN's play-by-plays, and that includes snaps nullified by penalty. He was sacked 8 times in that many snaps. And this is an OL that had to deal with the loss of Russell Okung.

I'm hoping Brandon Weeden comes out and I could actually imagine the NFL making a collective mistake on his valuation due to his age. That could give Miami a crack at him at a VERY cheap price tag, relative to his skill set. I have to add his name to the three QBs in the draft that I feel handle pressure at an NFL level. He doesn't have the feet of Gabbert or Newton, probably not as fast as Luck either, but what he does is float naturally away from the rush, and because he has an absolute HOWITZER for an arm, and the confidence to know that he can keep reading the entire field and get the ball accurately anywhere he wants it, he is able to just keep floating away from the rush until he has the throw he wants. Only sacked 8 times all year. That's it. I have 533 snaps on record from ESPN's play-by-plays, and that includes snaps nullified by penalty. He was sacked 8 times in that many snaps. And this is an OL that had to deal with the loss of Russell Okung.
I agree. The more I have been watching Weeden, the more I want him as a Dolphin.

I was reading up on Gabbert in another forum and came upon this. Thought I would share it.

This was in response to Gabbert being known as a high character/high intangibles prospect.

rockio42 said:
I'm sorry but I can not agree with this. I went to highschool with this kid and he is an absolute d-bag. He knocked out two of my friends one night his senior year and he's been in an altercation here at Mizzou at one of the bars because a guy was talking **** on the team so he and his little brother knocked the guy out. I don't see the intangibles either.

Take it for what it's worth, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Here's a link to a story about an "altercation" Gabbert had at Mizzou. Not sure if it was the same one the poster mentioned but it sounds similar: http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=196114&catid=3

I've heard suggestions that are akin to that but all indications are he's grown out of that kind of behavior, not to mention none of it really bothers me in the first place.

I was reading up on Gabbert in another forum and came upon this. Thought I would share it.

This was in response to Gabbert being known as a high character/high intangibles prospect.

Take it for what it's worth, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Here's a link to a story about an "altercation" Gabbert had at Mizzou. Not sure if it was the same one the poster mentioned but it sounds similar: http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=196114&catid=3

ha ha...who hasn't knocked some mo fo's out when they were young and dumb...lol and how do 2 of this guys buddies get knocked out unless they go at him one at a time like a damn martial arts or action movie...you gotta bum rush that big sob

ha ha...brings back memories

Back
Top Bottom