QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

Tough call. Age does figure into the mix, but only if I'm convinced both guys have what it takes to be franchise starters. It doesn't figure into it for me if I'm sure Weeden is a franchise guy but I'm not sure Gabbert is. What I know is that Weeden is the most talented QB prospect in the Draft as of right now. But he's 27, inexperienced, has some injury history to the throwing shoulder, and if I believe Gabbert is a franchise QB then I take Gabbert over him.

Tough call. Age does figure into the mix, but only if I'm convinced both guys have what it takes to be franchise starters. It doesn't figure into it for me if I'm sure Weeden is a franchise guy but I'm not sure Gabbert is. What I know is that Weeden is the most talented QB prospect in the Draft as of right now. But he's 27, inexperienced, has some injury history to the throwing shoulder, and if I believe Gabbert is a franchise QB then I take Gabbert over him.

Well Kurt Warner was playing championship caliber ball into his 40's so maybe if the guy is good enough it doesn't matter

The good thing another person associated with Mizzou said is that Gabbert had had his issues earlier in his career but lately had really settled down and become more mature. That's what you want to see.

This was what I heard as well. When I initially posted about him, I believe in another thread, I had stated I had heard some things on him, and that's what I was referring to, issues at the beginning, but hoping he had matured.

Miami should still be hell bent on the idea of trading up for Gabbert IF the Carolina Panthers do not like him at #1 overall.

That's regardless of Harbaugh.

You need to find that guy. The cost is too great NOT to find him.

CK, What would it take to move up to #5 or #2 to get this kid?

Well Kurt Warner was playing championship caliber ball into his 40's so maybe if the guy is good enough it doesn't matter

I agree. All you had to do was watch some of the roughing the passer calls made in Week 17, both in the Fins game and in other games, and see that the way the NFL is protecting QBs now...they're lasting longer. If a guy's arm doesn't fall off, a la Pennington...then he can be playing into his late 30's.

Hard to say and we have a long time between now and the Draft. What will figure heavily into the mix on this particular issue is the CBA negotiations. Most NFL insiders believe there will not be a rookie wage scale this year. But most NFL insiders believe there WILL be one next year. That's why Andrew Luck's decision was so shocking. This CBA stuff is going to be critical in how it figures into the Draft. The current proposal for a rookie wage scale, proposed by the NFL, is to have the #1 overall pick paid like the #20 overall pick, and then scale down from there. That's a HUGE difference. Imagine taking Sam Bradford or Ndamukong Suh and instead of paying them $50 million in signing bonus alone on like a $70 million contract, you pay them $20 million TOTAL on a five year contract. Absurd! But that's the kind of change the NFL has in mind.

So pretend you're the Cincinnati Bengals and you're picking #4 overall. Mike Brown is of course as cheap as they come as an owner, notoriously so. With Marvin Lewis coming back, that means Carson Palmer is your QB, he's already said Carson Palmer is our QB. Miami calls you on the phone. They're offering to move from #15 to #4 in exchange for their 1st rounder in 2012. You know that there will be a rookie wage scale in 2012 and there won't be one in 2011. Last year, Trent Williams was picked #4 overall and his contract is 6 years, $60 million. You figure this year it's going to have to be 6 years, $65 million. On the other hand, last year Jason Pierre-Paul at #15 got a 5 year, $20 million contract, which you figure would be about 5 years, $22 million this year. But here's the crux of the biscuit. Miami is 7-9. They just got snubbed on the Harbaugh issue and have this ridiculous and odd situation with Tony Sparano, strife within the front office, divisions, people not getting along with one another, a Head Coach that is a borderline lame duck...they could be worse than 7-9 next year, ESPECIALLY if they're trading up to pick a rookie QB that they start playing right away. So you have to be thinking, if you're Cincinnati, that you could be getting a top 10 pick in 2012 with Miami's offer. And further, because of the rookie wage scale, a top 10 pick in 2012 is going to make a third of what a top 10 pick in 2011 would.

I know what I would say if I were in Cincinnati's shoes. I'd say yes to Jeff Ireland before he even finished his sentence, then go running down the street tearing my clothes off and laughing maniacally.

So I really do think Miami has the mobility to move up and get whichever guy they feel is THE guy, even if it's Gabbert.

CK, I think along with the rookie wage scale I heard that shorter terms will couple that. So instead of 5 and 6 year deals that have become the norm it will he 3 year deals like the NBA has.

While that could be true, the specific numbers I got hold of said that the proposal on the table would pay the #1 overall about $18.3 million total (unless he was a QB, in which case it'd be slightly more) over 5 years.

Hard to say and we have a long time between now and the Draft. What will figure heavily into the mix on this particular issue is the CBA negotiations. Most NFL insiders believe there will not be a rookie wage scale this year. But most NFL insiders believe there WILL be one next year. That's why Andrew Luck's decision was so shocking. This CBA stuff is going to be critical in how it figures into the Draft. The current proposal for a rookie wage scale, proposed by the NFL, is to have the #1 overall pick paid like the #20 overall pick, and then scale down from there. That's a HUGE difference. Imagine taking Sam Bradford or Ndamukong Suh and instead of paying them $50 million in signing bonus alone on like a $70 million contract, you pay them $20 million TOTAL on a five year contract. Absurd! But that's the kind of change the NFL has in mind.

So pretend you're the Cincinnati Bengals and you're picking #4 overall. Mike Brown is of course as cheap as they come as an owner, notoriously so. With Marvin Lewis coming back, that means Carson Palmer is your QB, he's already said Carson Palmer is our QB. Miami calls you on the phone. They're offering to move from #15 to #4 in exchange for their 1st rounder in 2012. You know that there will be a rookie wage scale in 2012 and there won't be one in 2011. Last year, Trent Williams was picked #4 overall and his contract is 6 years, $60 million. You figure this year it's going to have to be 6 years, $65 million. On the other hand, last year Jason Pierre-Paul at #15 got a 5 year, $20 million contract, which you figure would be about 5 years, $22 million this year. But here's the crux of the biscuit. Miami is 7-9. They just got snubbed on the Harbaugh issue and have this ridiculous and odd situation with Tony Sparano, strife within the front office, divisions, people not getting along with one another, a Head Coach that is a borderline lame duck...they could be worse than 7-9 next year, ESPECIALLY if they're trading up to pick a rookie QB that they start playing right away. So you have to be thinking, if you're Cincinnati, that you could be getting a top 10 pick in 2012 with Miami's offer. And further, because of the rookie wage scale, a top 10 pick in 2012 is going to make a third of what a top 10 pick in 2011 would.

I know what I would say if I were in Cincinnati's shoes. I'd say yes to Jeff Ireland before he even finished his sentence, then go running down the street tearing my clothes off and laughing maniacally.

So I really do think Miami has the mobility to move up and get whichever guy they feel is THE guy, even if it's Gabbert.

Coincidentally, I was just looking up what the Saints gave up when they infamously traded up for Ricky Williams.

Here is a link that summarizes it.

http://www.drafthistory.com/articles/article23.html

In a nutshell, Saints moved up from 12th to 5th. They didn't have their second. So they gave up the rest of the draft and their 1st and 3rd rounders the following year. Pretty scary.

But, I think CK has a great point in terms of dollar value of picks. That landscape has changed and is changing further.

If Miami can get Gabbert for two one's, it may be a good trade for both teams.

The Jets gave up their #17 and #52 to move up to #5 along with 3 players that I've never heard of for Sanchez. We don't have our 2nd, so a similar deal may be had if we give up our third with a couple of more legitimate players. Maybe Sean Smith if we ever figured out a way to land Asomugha.

excellent post!

While that could be true, the specific numbers I got hold of said that the proposal on the table would pay the #1 overall about $18.3 million total (unless he was a QB, in which case it'd be slightly more) over 5 years.

that's it...wow...unless the nfl takes a massive reduction on the salary cap there is no risk at all money wise with the top pick anymore...5 years $20 mil under the current cap agreement is nothing

wow

I agree. All you had to do was watch some of the roughing the passer calls made in Week 17, both in the Fins game and in other games, and see that the way the NFL is protecting QBs now...they're lasting longer. If a guy's arm doesn't fall off, a la Pennington...then he can be playing into his late 30's.

while i agree with that don't tell mike vick and andy reid that...

Back
Top Bottom