Qb Pick Now, Or Qb Pick Next Draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Qb Pick Now, Or Qb Pick Next Draft?

Kyle Shurmur intrigues me as a development guy. Just get his mechanics down and teach him how to get some zip and he’s a quality quarterback. I am taking a quarterback and bringing in every guy not drafted, roll with Falk and maybe Gardner Minshew or whoever. Basically taking a quarterback in every draft until we are truly set.

To answer your question. Tua will be the best next year unless his leg falls off.

Okay. How do you know Tua is as good as Mahomes, Goff, Wentz, Luck, Wilson?
How do you know Tua and Fromm are not AJ McCarron and Aaron Murray?

You get the first pick. You get to make that decision for yourself instead of someone else making it for you. What are you arguing here? Is this even a serious argument?

To answer your question. Tua will be the best next year unless his leg falls off.

I think Largo's point is 'know.' No one 'knows' who will be the best QB 3 years from now. Leaf was considered the QB people 'knew' was best. You're right, the team with pick #1 makes a choice, but that's THINKING they know who will be best. Yet, when a team makes a choice that turns out bad (QB or not), the FO SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. I agree with Largo to this extent . . . people throw around 'know' as if it's possible to know.

I think Brian Flores kind of let it slip they're going to take one guy in this draft. He was talking about the QB class, and said something like, "You can't pick all of them, and we know that..." which to me means that they WILL be picking one of them.

Perhaps they don't know which one. I'd say they probably don't know which one, and are still narrowing down their priorities. But I think they're going to add a guy to the QB room.

But I think the original poster meant 1st round guys like Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, or Daniel Jones.

And the answer to that is Kyler Murray or 2020/2021.

My feeling is that Easton Stick would be a great fit here to fill out the QB room as a mid to late rounder.

Pick one mid to late round (Easton Stick)
Focus this year has to be improving the lines.
Draft another Qb next. Plain and simple.

If there will be so many great quarterbacks next year, why should we tank for #1 overall
It's all about having options and being able to pick whoever we want. As far as the tank. There's no way we're going to lose games on purpose but with no real QB starting this year and getting rid of most of the vets we're going to lose games next year.

I hate this "let's wait till next year because next year is loaded with QBs" line. One year in these kids careers at this stage is a huge thing, you have absolutely no idea what they will be like as a prospect in 12 month's time. For me I still go back to my recent memories of how Christian Hackenberg was the concensus #1 pick for the following draft prior to his last year in college or how Matt Barkley (who had just go toe to toe with Andrew Luck) was a can't miss pick after he decided to stay for his senior year. I just watched Hackenberg get pulled by his AAF team the other week. Neither were near the #1 pick and neither have been the franchise guy all the experts told us they would be. I'm sure people with longer memories can point to many more examples.

My opinion on this is, we employ a bunch of highly paid scouts and have a so called all star FO who I would hope would connect with Flores and his staff to assess which QB or QBs best fits what we need. Once we've determined that we do whatever it takes to make sure we secure that top guy (with a back up plan for guy #2 if he's still a good fit), whether that be moving up in this draft, taking a QB earlier than many of the "experts" think we should, or planning for how we can be in the best position to draft that guy if he's not declaring until 2020 or even 2021.

Think it's about the player and his fit for this team more than the year in which they are declaring.

If there will be so many great quarterbacks next year, why should we tank for #1 overall
Can you guarantee me we will get our first choice at #2? Can you guarantee me that we will compete normally and come away with the #2 pick? I think the answer is obvious.

Obviously we ask you, the omniscient one who knows more than even the best NFL decision makers, yet somehow remains unemployed by any football organization at any level of the sport.

I think Brian Flores kind of let it slip they're going to take one guy in this draft. He was talking about the QB class, and said something like, "You can't pick all of them, and we know that..." which to me means that they WILL be picking one of them.

Perhaps they don't know which one. I'd say they probably don't know which one, and are still narrowing down their priorities. But I think they're going to add a guy to the QB room.

But I think the original poster meant 1st round guys like Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, or Daniel Jones.

And the answer to that is Kyler Murray or 2020/2021.

My feeling is that Easton Stick would be a great fit here to fill out the QB room as a mid to late rounder.

You put me on the Stick train and I'm still very much there, I would over draft him to be sure I got him, that means 3rd round for me. I do think Minshew would add a lot to any QB room though, not as a starter however, so he still intrigues me, but I wouldn't go higher than a 5th for him. I know from your pod cast you guys hate Will Grier and Drew Lock but I still buying either of those at the right price and that's key, for Lock I think 13 is good value, a trade down is even better. Grier high 3rd to low 2nd he's worth a shot.

I think we should draft a Qb this year mid round guy who has long term backup potential and take a shot at getting lucky. Jarret Stidham, Will Grier, Easton Stick someone in that category rounds 3-5 range. I want a pass rusher round 1, really starting to warm up to the idea of Brian Burns at 13

And how would you know who the best one is? Let's say between Wilson and Luck in 2012?
Between Goff and Wentz in 2016? Between Mahomes and Watson? Between Darnold and Allen let's say? Between Aaron Murray and AJ McCarron? Between Winston and Mariota?
How do you know who is the best?
You must be fun at parties. I mean the obvious answer is that nobody knows for sure, but if I'm a betting man I'm going to take the gamble and draft Andrew Luck over Chandler Harnish, just like I'd take the same gamble and draft the guy that put up the most efficient quarterback season in NCAA history over someone like Herbert.

Do you know that there's a difference between deciding on someone because they look to be the safest bet as opposed to knowing 100% that they're going to be the best?

You must be fun at parties. I mean the obvious answer is that nobody knows for sure,

Do you know that there's a difference between deciding on someone because they look to be the safest bet as opposed to knowing 100% that they're going to be the best?

No. We need to know 100%, on draft day, who is elite, who is the best.

If he doesnt get hurt, he will be a Luck type prospect. That's about all you can hope for when you draft a QB.

Back
Top Bottom