Quess who's leading the NFL in passing yards ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quess who's leading the NFL in passing yards ?

You all look at the career regular season numbers, see they're similar and say - same QB. Why not look beyond that ridiculously simplistic point of view? Why not take into account the fact that Sanchez has one less year in the league, never had the opportunity to sit for a year and learn behind a proven veteran, showed tremendous improvement from year one to year two, and has played his best football in the post season? Did you know Sanchez' post season QB rating is better than Henne's 2011 preseason QB rating you're all drooling over? Why ignore the fact that Henne showed pretty much no progression from his first year starting to his second? I know why, because those important details make you angry.

OK - you have a new offensive coordinator now, that could be a positive for Henne. It also could be a negative. Let's see how that pans out in games that matter. Let's also see how Sanchez does in year three. If he improves as much as he did between year one and two he could be a very good QB this year. Last year Henne had a very good WR in Marshall and a very good defense. You guys told me he was going to be better because of that. Well look which QB won the games that mattered once again.

You want to pump up Henne for being the leader in passing yards for the preseason, just look at the clowns who preceeded him in that illustrious preseason stat. Charlie Whitehurst, Todd Bouman and Quinn Gray. Clearly it's not an accomplishment that has proven to mean anything in games that matter.

I will respond to what you said in order;

- I agree with what you said regarding Henne from year 1 to year 2. Most observers will tell you that Henning was the cause, and I agree. Henning insisted on it being run his way and that's it. He would pull Henne when he was getting on a role to bring in the Wild Cat. As you can see so far in the pre-season, Henne looks in control of this offense and that's all you can ask you. You want to see that progression in his game, even if it is pre-season, it is something positive.

- You can say the same thing about any player on any team regarding if he will be good or bad. SO FAR the answer is it is a good thing for Henne. The proof is there on film so far.

- Well, first off if your going on your assessment on Henne based on what people say here then I can't help you there. On paper we should have been better last season. Again, go to the first thing I wrote, Henning. He didn't take advantage of his players on offense nor did he put them in position to succeed. I was so thankful he is gone. AGAIN, is every single Jet's fan using that method to judge QBs?? Wins?? It's a team sport and Sanchez benefits from being surrounded by talented players. I will give him all the credit in the world for doing well against New England in the playoffs but please don't say Sanchez is better based on "wins".

- Of course when all is said and done the pre-season doesn't mean crap. HOWEVER, what you do while you are there is telling of a lot of things. So far it is a positive telling for Henne and that can't be argued.

What does all that mean? Right now it makes me feel comfortable seeing as Henne has progressed from last season so far.

As a Jet's fan I'd be really worried right now having the set of wr's that you do. You def downgraded in that department, as if Sanchez needs any weapons taken away from him. Good luck there. Doubt he stays as lucky this year as he did last year.

Thank you for a well thought out response.

I will respond to what you said in order;

- I agree with what you said regarding Henne from year 1 to year 2. Most observers will tell you that Henning was the cause, and I agree. Henning insisted on it being run his way and that's it. He would pull Henne when he was getting on a role to bring in the Wild Cat. As you can see so far in the pre-season, Henne looks in control of this offense and that's all you can ask you. You want to see that progression in his game, even if it is pre-season, it is something positive.
You can say that Henning was the cause, but that doesn't make it true. Most Jet fans will tell you that Schottenheimer is the reason for many of the Jets offensive shortcomings. I don't like him, probably as much as fins fans didn't like Henning. So while neither of us think that the offensive coordinators from past years were very good, the only thing we can really go on is actual performance. Daboll didn't exactly have an explosive offense in Cleveland with a bottom of the barrel offense in both his seasons there.

I understand being excited about Henne looking good in preseason. You should. But when I get responses telling me Henne has passed Sanchez based on his preseason this year and they have the same career numbers so they're the same QB, you have to understand that I'm going to take exception to that.

- You can say the same thing about any player on any team regarding if he will be good or bad. SO FAR the answer is it is a good thing for Henne. The proof is there on film so far.
Again, I understand the excitement. I'm pretty happy with what I've seen from Sanchez so far in preseason, and will even take it a step further to say I'm excited about what I've read about his practice performances. I won't go so far as to say he's now better than player x because he's done well in meaningless action.

- Well, first off if your going on your assessment on Henne based on what people say here then I can't help you there. On paper we should have been better last season. Again, go to the first thing I wrote, Henning. He didn't take advantage of his players on offense nor did he put them in position to succeed. I was so thankful he is gone. AGAIN, is every single Jet's fan using that method to judge QBs?? Wins?? It's a team sport and Sanchez benefits from being surrounded by talented players. I will give him all the credit in the world for doing well against New England in the playoffs but please don't say Sanchez is better based on "wins".
After Sanchez' rookie season and Henne's first season I said that Henne was obviously the better QB. Last year, Sanchez took major steps forward improving his game and Henne seemed like the same QB as the year before. I thought that Sanchez was the better of the two last year. I also point to Sanchez having a career QB rating of over 94 in the playoffs, and having post season success. Of course, like most football fans I put more stock in post season play.

- Of course when all is said and done the pre-season doesn't mean crap. HOWEVER, what you do while you are there is telling of a lot of things. So far it is a positive telling for Henne and that can't be argued.

What does all that mean? Right now it makes me feel comfortable seeing as Henne has progressed from last season so far.
That's possible. Let's see what happens when the lights turn on and teams are actually game planning.

As a Jet's fan I'd be really worried right now having the set of wr's that you do. You def downgraded in that department, as if Sanchez needs any weapons taken away from him. Good luck there. Doubt he stays as lucky this year as he did last year.
Burress is probably a downgrade from Edwards, but not if he manages to return to the form he was prior to going to prison. The likelyhood of that happening is probably pretty low, but he's looked good so far.

Mason is an upgrade over Cotchery, yes he's older, but look at what he's done in his career compared to Cotchery.

I wouldn't say I'm very worried. I'd be lying if I said there weren't concerns in that area. I think we probably downgraded at WR2, and upgraded at WR3. Let's see how it plays out. If Plax manages to return to previous form we've upgraded at both.

Henne has still started less games than Sanchez. 2008 he was holding a clipboard, I don't really count that for much since you're not getting any actual experience. Henne is 14-14 in games he's played the majority of (Loss to Bears last year was all Thigpen). Since when did teams start giving up on QBs that quickly??? They aren't all Dan Marino and Tom Brady, that's rare. Why is it impossible that Henne will improve in year 3? He's shown flashes, he just needs to be consistent. Sanchez is good and all but he was far from the reason they made the playoffs in 2009, he gets way too much credit for that. He was better in 2010, though still not on elite level.

It's positive to see a QB do well in the Preseason against first team defenses. All the great QBs play well in the Preseason and have a QBR above 90. Henne's is above 90. Will he be great? Probably not. Will he be much better this year? Probably. Who knows what'll happen, but it's promising for Dolphins fans considering he had a bland and messy pre-season which carried over into the regular season in 2010. What's not promising is that he had to run for his life the whole game. Jake Long will be a welcome return. Henne could have Eli Manning type potential, but we'll see if things fall in place. It's also possible he becomes inconsistent again. Who knows.

Now that you mention it, I do remember Henne lighting up the Pats defense in January last year.

Pats D sucks, I also remeber how Crappy Sanchez looked against our good defense... Almost got benched because of it....

Henne has still started less games than Sanchez. 2008 he was holding a clipboard, I don't really count that for much since you're not getting any actual experience. Henne
I think you're underestimating how beneficial it is for a QB to be able to take a season to learn the offense and become accustomed to the NFL. Sanchez wasn't afforded that luxury and subsequently had an extremely bumpy rookie year. IMO Henne was obviously a better QB his first season starting than Sanchez, but he DID have the opportunity to sit and learn. Last year, I thought Sanchez obviously improved while Henne was stuck in neutral, and was passed.

Now Sanchez goes into year 3 of his development while Henne goes into year 4 of his. You guys seem to think the new offensive system is going to benefit him. Usually QB's struggle at least a little with new offensive systems, especially early in the regular season. Maybe Henning was really THAT bad and Dabolls system is an exceptionally better fit for Henne. Again, let's not forget that Daboll's system produced very poor offenses in Cleveland.

When the lights turn on and teams are game planning we will find out how much progression has been made.

I think you're underestimating how beneficial it is for a QB to be able to take a season to learn the offense and become accustomed to the NFL. Sanchez wasn't afforded that luxury and subsequently had an extremely bumpy rookie year. IMO Henne was obviously a better QB his first season starting than Sanchez, but he DID have the opportunity to sit and learn. Last year, I thought Sanchez obviously improved while Henne was stuck in neutral, and was passed.

Now Sanchez goes into year 3 of his development while Henne goes into year 4 of his. You guys seem to think the new offensive system is going to benefit him. Usually QB's struggle at least a little with new offensive systems, especially early in the regular season. Maybe Henning was really THAT bad and Dabolls system is an exceptionally better fit for Henne. Again, let's not forget that Daboll's system produced very poor offenses in Cleveland.

When the lights turn on and teams are game planning we will find out how much progression has been made.

Thank you very much for your well thought responses to what I wrote, sure do wish more Jet's fans were like you when it came to discussing their team and talking about ours. I say that because everyone here knows the typical Jet's fan who comes on here and doesn't even bother discussing something like you. For that I commend you. :up:

We will agree to disagree regarding Henne going into year four, while true yes, sitting doesn't necessarily mean he was improving. I am of the mindset that actual game play is better then sitting there and hearing and studying it.

Every QB, OC will make a boneheaded call or play, that's without question. Some do it more then others and that's where I believe Henning is different then your OC. From what I have seen, more often then not, he has put your offense in positions to succeed rather then Henning did.

When the lights come on for real we will truly have an idea what we have with Henne and Daboll. Couldn't start harder then we do at home against New England. Which I am glad about. It will tell us where we are quickly.

Some people think New England's defense is better just based on what they have on paper, I don't buy that. They could field a bunch of highschoolers and Bellechick(sp) will get the best out of them. But until the lights come on for real we don't know what kind of defense New England will be fielding.

I am more worried about our offensive line right now, that's where I am worried and hope we bring some people in quickly because if we aren't right upfront we are screwed.

Going into this season what are you worried, looking forward to and wanting to see out of the Jets?

i dont believe in people who live in the past. welcome to the new afc east.

henne sparano 3
sanchez ryan 1

the tennis match gets tougher jack.

F*cking classic bro!

On topic: For the troll talking about passing yards. I guess you missed the part about the 93 QBR, you know, the system that ranks QBs as a whole? Oh, and it puts him in the top 5 in the league. I see a change in Henne's game, the new offense has some to do with it, but im talking about the guy looking like an NFL QB now, looks like something clicked. I'm more and more excited to be in sun life on Sept. 12 baby!

Ill be there to. East Endzone Section 106 Row 6

WHat is this a nyjunc clone? Is he your troll mentor klaus? Sanchez sucks dude, Henne has nothing to do with the fact that your QB is mediocre when he's at his best. It's a shame you traded up in the 1st to pick a bust... for you guys lol.

I mean I really don't get it. A Jets fan isn't one to bash Henne.

PS join my group in my sig if you want to see nyjunc and antagonistic trools like him banned.

Ross told us we had the next Marino on our hands, some just chose not to believe! GO HENNE!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

One thing I learned is Henne in now being allowed to call audibles at the line of scrimmage. Maybe that's another reason he looks more comfortable? Yes it's only preseason, but again, Henne didn't look good in the last preseason. He's looked good in all three games this time. I wouldn't count out a young Quarterback who has shown some great performances (and some chokes of course, but don't all young QBs?).

I'm still semi-pessimistic based on post-Marino history, but Henne deserves this 3rd season being a starter. One thing I'm wondering is can Henne lead a team that is behind by 10 or more points in the 2nd half? I assume he'll have to at least once or twice even if the defense is Top 5. We won't find that out until the regular season.

Back
Top Bottom