Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's? | Page 35 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's?

dig deeper. Seattle ran a lot more so that skews #s. Russell was much more efficient in far fewer pass attempts. They didn't force the pass game like Miami, they didn't abandon the run game like Miami.

Miami was 8th in pts allowed.

#s tell part of the story, you must dig deeper.

Sell crazy someplace else pal....we don't need you to tell us what was obvious right in front of eyes.

The o-line was a mess...and we were third and long too much BECAUSE we couldn't run consistently.

That puts the passer into a corner of having to carry the team....Wilson didn't't have that problem.

No I wouldn't trade Tannehill for a short QB who was carried by a great defense and Top rushing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is impossible to prove Russell Wilson isn't playing at an elite level because if he really is elite the end result would be the same.

Wilson didn't play at an elite level, at least not my definition of elite.

Why is it so hard to admit that Wilson struggled for the last quarter of the season? Is that elite?

Over Seattle's last five games, quarterback Russell Wilson isn't seeing things as clearly as he did early in the season. That has led to the Seahawks' offensive struggles.

His slump started in Week 14 against the same San Francisco team he'll face Sunday in the NFC championship game, and the numbers verify that his play has dipped.

Wilson hasn't thrown for more than 206 yards in his last five games. On third down he has completed less than 47 percent of his passes and has been sacked seven times, just on third down. The Seahawks have a poor 29 percent third-down conversion rate in that stretch.

I can't tell you exactly what is causing Wilson's slump, but you can see it. Sometimes it just happens. In basketball, a great shooter can go into a shooting slump. Wilson is playing a little tentatively and his game has become unstructured and random. Even on his biggest play of the game last week against New Orleans he was off.

On a third and three in the fourth quarter, Doug Baldwin ran a wheel route from the slot. It was a one-read concept with a defined throw, and Baldwin had two steps on cornerback Corey White. The ball should have been thrown out in front but Wilson threw it to Baldwin's back shoulder and allowed White to become a factor in the throw. Baldwin made a great catch for a 24-yard gain despite that.

Wilson has been inaccurate on too many basic throws, especially quick slants. He was inaccurate on a quick slant to Golden Tate in the first quarter last week against the Saints on a third and 5. That's a routine throw Wilson has to make. Wilson at times is throwing with a locked front leg, which negatively impacts accuracy. That's especially noticeable in quick passing game.

At this point Wilson is more of a random quarterback than a precision pocket player. There's too much inconsistency in his play. Wilson has become tentative in the pocket, and not willing to pull the trigger the way he did earlier in the season. And five games is a meaningful enough sample size to indicate he is struggling.

But in the last five games — as Seattle went 3-2 — Wilson has struggled. His completion percentage dropped to 56.6 percent (68-for-120) for 788 yards. He's tossed only four touchdowns to three interceptions. He has broken the 200-yard passing plateau just one, on December 15 in the shutout win over the Giants. And after having multi-touchdown outings in 10 of the first 12 games of the season, Wilson hasn't thrown more than one touchdown pass since December 2.

Against the Saints this past weekend, he didn't throw any.

You can pretend that it didn't happen but I don't have to.

Then there is this:

49ers safety Donte Whitner said his team has to focus on Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch in Sunday's NFC Championship Game

When was the past time a defender stated that stopping Peyton Manning's, Aaron Rodgers', Tom Brady's, Drew Brees', or even Andrew Luck's RB was the key to stopping their offense?

And the funny thing is Wilson's "poor" game stretch in 3 of those games his passer rating was higher than Tannehill's average. His average passer rating over his "poor" stretch is still better than Tannehill's over his entire career. Using this "poor" 4 game stretch to prove a point about Tannehill is ridiculous. To say that it suggests defenses have figured him out and we'll see evidence of that this season is even more ludicrous. You know he did play more games between his "poor" stretch and the beginning of this season right?

Sell crazy someplace else pal....we don't need you to tell us what was obvious right in front of eyes.

The o-line was a mess...and we were third and long too much BECAUSE we couldn't run consistently.

That puts the passer into a corner of having to carry the team....Wilson didn't't have that problem.

you abandoned the run, there's a difference.

No I wouldn't trade Tannehill for a short QB who was carried by a great defense and Top rushing game.

That's why you don't work for an NFL team and if the dolphins think that way that is why they have been to one postseason since 2002.

And the funny thing is Wilson's "poor" game stretch in 3 of those games his passer rating was higher than Tannehill's average. His average passer rating over his "poor" stretch is still better than Tannehill's over his entire career. Using this "poor" 4 game stretch to prove a point about Tannehill is ridiculous. To say that it suggests defenses have figured him out and we'll see evidence of that this season is even more ludicrous. You know he did play more games between his "poor" stretch and the beginning of this season right?

Why is it so important for you to pretend that Wilson didn't play poorly during that stretch? Many people were talking about it at the time. You act like I am making this up. I am quoting published articles. I never said it was about Tannehill. I was addressing the question of whether Wilson is elite by looking at Wilson's performance and backing it up with facts and the opinions of others.

Do you think the author of the article was lying? biased against Wilson?

You've got issues......

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

What is your definition of elite? 16 perfect games?

Elite is when you consistently perform while being the main focus of the defense. At the end of last season, Wilson misses on both of those points. So, no, not elite.

That's why you don't work for an NFL team and if the dolphins think that way that is why they have been to one postseason since 2002.

They abandoned the run because they weren't' good at it....third and long way too often.

I could care less what a troll who ignores reality in order to attempt to antagonize on a rivals website.

I can't imagine any fan of team who has a life spending as much time as you do here trying to agitate.

Wilson didn't play at an elite level, at least not my definition of elite.

Why is it so hard to admit that Wilson struggled for the last quarter of the season? Is that elite?

You can pretend that it didn't happen but I don't have to.

Then there is this:

When was the past time a defender stated that stopping Peyton Manning's, Aaron Rodgers', Tom Brady's, Drew Brees', or even Andrew Luck's RB was the key to stopping their offense?

When he had to do more than normal he struggled some down the stretch.

He is not an elite quarterback...he is solid caretaker.

dig deeper. Seattle ran a lot more so that skews #s. Russell was much more efficient in far fewer pass attempts. They didn't force the pass game like Miami, they didn't abandon the run game like Miami.

Miami was 8th in pts allowed.

#s tell part of the story, you must dig deeper.

I'm not sure what the **** it is you aren't getting. You say Seattle ran a lot more so it skews the numbers. They run more b/c they can. They succeed in doing so. They succeed in passing less. The numbers tell us exactly why they are successful.

How was marshawn carrying the Bills? how did he do carrying Seattle pre-Wilson?

He's had double-digit TD seasons in years 2011, 2012, and 2013. 1,204 yds in 2011, 1,590 yds in 2012, and 1,257 yds in 2013. He finished no worse than Top 7 in either of those seasons. He may not have carried them in your eyes but he's been one of the best runners in the league with Seattle.

excellent run game w/ a 4.2 YPC? interesting.

they threw less b/c:
-they turned it over less
-they had leads and were trying to run out clock
-they didn't abandon run game

Miami didn't have to pass, they chose to pass and they got burned trusting a QB that wasn't ready for that responsibility.

4.3 YPC actually. If their running game isn't excellent, who's was?

Better WRs based on their salaries, first off. Or the fact that trading Wallace-Hartline-Gibson-Mathews-Clay for Tate-Baldwin-Kearse-ZMiller would be a ridiculously stupid move. Clay made the NFL top-100 this year. A ZMiller for Clay trade would get laughed at. I'd love for you to find some non-Dolphins fans who think the AFC East is better than the NFC West. The Cards won ten games, finished third in the division last year and missed the playoffs, lol.

This whole discussion is the definition of homerism. Stats can say whatever you want them to say and they ignore much of what happens in a game. The bottom line is that the number of non-Dolphins fans who would take Tannehill over Wilson is in all likelihood VERY close to zero.

You're basing this off of salaries now? As if Mike Wallace is actually worth the 17 mil he's earning this year. The Cardinals won 10 games this year true. They were 5-11 the year before but now they're suddenly a good team?

There's no homerism coming from me in this conversation so you must be talking about another poster.

The reason is they could not run, but even if you were right and Miami did just abandon the run as you say, that is beside the point, the point for whatever reason, and hopefully finally you allow yourself to understand, is that the Seahawks ran consistently more then the Dolphins...simple as that.

Junc by the way, you want to know why Miami threw so much? Lamar Miller, their replacement for Reggie Bush, had these numbers in 2013:

Season opener at Cleveland: 10 carries for 3 yards
vs Baltimore: 7 carries for 15 yards
at Tampa Bay: 7 carries for 2 yards
vs. San Diego: 4 carries for 17 yards
vs. Carolina: 10 carries for 8 yards
at Pittsburgh: 6 carries for 20 yards
at Buffalo: 3 carries for 8 yards

That's 47 carries for 73 yards in 7 god damn games. For comparison sake, Daniel Thomas, the backup, in the first 3 games had 21 carries for 65 yards.

Why is it so important for you to pretend that Wilson didn't play poorly during that stretch? Many people were talking about it at the time. You act like I am making this up. I am quoting published articles. I never said it was about Tannehill. I was addressing the question of whether Wilson is elite by looking at Wilson's performance and backing it up with facts and the opinions of others.

Do you think the author of the article was lying? biased against Wilson?

You've got issues......

If Wilson played poorly during that stretch then Tannehill played poorly throughout the entire 32 games of his career. Wilson playing to an 80 rating and playing 0.500 football is news. Its news because its out of the norm, for him. How any Tannehill homer can kill Wilson for a 4 game stretch where he only had an 80 rating and only won 50% of his games comes across as a little ridiculous for obvious reasons.

Back
Top Bottom