Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's? | Page 39 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's?

what is pathetic is someone who never contributes to the board all of a sudden following me and hurling childish insults. Grow up.

You contribute NOTHING to a Dolphins fan board...troll.

Pathetic.

Edit: Following you? No, just happen to see your BS on most threads I read...don't give yourself that much credit troll.

You know, it's tough to ignore the troll when people keep quoting his garbage posts. Please stop quoting the troll.

Oh really...he had a good supporting cast troll...based on what?...your propaganda?

Bottom half of league....rushing, pass protect and stopping the run.

Please...can some Troll Jet fan tell me when the last Super bowl Champion ranked that low in those categories??????????

I'll hold Mr breath waiting for you Junc........

I or nobody I've seen says Tannehill is there yet, but to suggest his supporting cast was good enough is ridiculous and certainly blantantly unfair.

less than 4.2 YPC is far from great, I don't have to list anyone else. They had a quality running game, nothing more. Wilson was the guy who was the leader of that O not Lynch.

That is on the coaches. I will give you another example of an unproven back.

2009 div rd at San Diego. rookie Shonn Greene
1st half: 9 carries, 35 yds, 3.8 YPC
total carries before 53 yd TD: 16-55, 3.4 YPC

did they abandon the ground game? did they try to foolishly air it out? NO. It's called good coaching, it's something you don't have.

So 4th in the league in rushing is only a quality running game. What are the top 3 rushing attacks called?

Greene had 108 carries in the regular season. He had 54 carries in the 3 playoff games. What does this show me? In the playoffs you need to run the ball to succeed especially when your QB is average at best.

it really wasn't, I get that it is the excuse you guys want to use. I'm not saying it was a good OL(though in the 2nd half it WAS good) but it wasn't some historically bad OL like you guys like to portray.

now the former WR excuse? he started year 1, he had a years experience in the NFL, they gave him a ton of weapons to throw to in year 2, he didn't have to learn a new system entering the league like every other QB. we need to stop w/ the excuses.

He had an up and down rookie year which was to be expected, overall it was good

He improved in year, showed flashes of being really good but came up small in too many big spots.

He has the ability to be a quality starter, he hasn't been one YET though.

Only to someone like you would allowing the most sacks in team history, or 41 years, not be historic.

And?

Of those ten teams, Seattle was second fewest in attempts. Of all the teams with a YPA of greater than 7.0, only SF, Sea, and Car have fewer than 500 attempted passes. Nobody is saying that Wilson wasn't efficient. He most certainly was. IMO, part of the reason for his efficiency was the small number of attempts and the requirement for opposing defenses to focus on the running game . It just so happens that the same three teams are 1, 2, and 3 in points allowed. Preventing the other team from scoring means you don't play from behind. You can stick to the running game. You can pick your spots. You can be more efficient passing the football.

When you have the lead and can run the ball, you force the other team to try to stop you and get the ball back. That opens up opportunities for big chunk plays (which helps YPA). If they don't work, you punt and rely on your crushing defense to stop the other team again. And so it goes. It all works together (as long as you have all the pieces).

The teams above 7.0 YPA are:

Phi, Sea, Den, SD, GB, NO, SF, Chi, Arz, Cin, Pit, Det, Dal, Car

of those, these are also in the top 10 in passing yards:

Den, NO, Det, SD, Chi, GB, Cin, Phi, Pit, Arz, Dal

Those are the teams that combined efficiency and quantity. IMO, there are only 3 "surprises" on the list:

1. NE was not on it. This has been discussed at length, and I believe that NE was hampered by their receivers. (team sport, remember)
2. Ariz is on the list. Carson Palmer had a better year in some respects than I thought. INTs were the problem.
3. Cin is on the list. IMO, Dalton (and maybe Cutler) is the opposite of Brady in this analysis. He is elevated by his receivers.

The rest of the QBs are Manning, Brees, Stafford, Rivers, Cutler, Rodgers, Foles, Roethlisberger, and Romo.

Those are all QBs that I rank above Wilson, Kaep, and Newton. BTW, all of those teams threw more TD passes than Seattle also.

Sell me Cutler and Stafford over Wilson.

I would also like to point out that only half the teams on that top-ten list made the playoffs.

Five teams had a YPA at/over eight, and they all made the playoffs (Eagles, Seahawks, Broncos, Chargers, Packers). Nine team had a YPA at/over 7.5; two missed the playoffs (Chicago, Arizona). 7.0 is really the absolute floor for an acceptable YPA.

Seattle has a great scheme and a great system that plays off the strengths of each department. The offense keeps the D fresh with a grinding, ball control offense - capable of making the big play, and the defense helps the offense by giving them field position, points off TO's, and a security blanket. When you teach your young QB that it's OK to play for another down, and he plays that way and wins games, because your defense hangs tough, you're affirming positive traits and allowing him to fine tune in the correct order. When Wilson misses, it looks silly and flies out of bounds; when Tannehill misses, it's too often into the lap of a defender. It's true that Tannehill doesn't have a running game to lean on or a #1 D to fall back on, but Wilson is affirming good habits by the day while Tannehill is still trying to figure how to win in the NFL. In Wilson, you see a guy who knows what it takes for his team to win. He embraces the running game, and he's quick to give compliments to the D. Not all QB's can operate in that kind of system. It takes a willingness to see your stats (to the very casual fan) dwindle - in deferring a portion of your attempts to the running game. You won't find too many great QB's who are willing to do that. But it also takes a guy who can extend drives and make big plays on call. It's a much rarer combination of qualities than you're giving him credit for. Tannehill, meanwhile, is still trying to figure how to win more than he loses. I'm not saying that it's all his fault, but I think it's important for QB's in their developmental stages to affirm winning habits. When you look at the best QB's, most (not all) had early success. Most were successful in college.

Wilson's on the fast track, and Tannehill's on the "hopefully" track.

Sell me Cutler and Stafford over Wilson.

I would also like to point out that only half the teams on that top-ten list made the playoffs.

Five teams had a YPA at/over eight, and they all made the playoffs (Eagles, Seahawks, Broncos, Chargers, Packers). Nine team had a YPA at/over 7.5; two missed the playoffs (Chicago, Arizona). 7.0 is really the absolute floor for an acceptable YPA.

Seattle has a great scheme and a great system that plays off the strengths of each department. The offense keeps the D fresh with a grinding, ball control offense - capable of making the big play, and the defense helps the offense by giving them field position, points off TO's, and a security blanket. When you teach your young QB that it's OK to play for another down, and he plays that way and wins games, because your defense hangs tough, you're affirming positive traits and allowing him to fine tune in the correct order. When Wilson misses, it looks silly and flies out of bounds; when Tannehill misses, it's too often into the lap of a defender. It's true that Tannehill doesn't have a running game to lean on or a #1 D to fall back on, but Wilson is affirming good habits by the day while Tannehill is still trying to figure how to win in the NFL. In Wilson, you see a guy who knows what it takes for his team to win. He embraces the running game, and he's quick to give compliments to the D. Not all QB's can operate in that kind of system. It takes a willingness to see your stats (to the very casual fan) dwindle - in deferring a portion of your attempts to the running game. You won't find too many great QB's who are willing to do that. But it also takes a guy who can extend drives and make big plays on call. It's a much rarer combination of qualities than you're giving him credit for. Tannehill, meanwhile, is still trying to figure how to win more than he loses. I'm not saying that it's all his fault, but I think it's important for QB's in their developmental stages to affirm winning habits. When you look at the best QB's, most (not all) had early success. Most were successful in college.

Wilson's on the fast track, and Tannehill's on the "hopefully" track.

You have it completely backwards. It's not that not all QBs can play in that type of system, it's that not all teams have the pieces to play that style of passing offense. If Miami had played Seattle's approach, they would have been much worse. I can't imagine all of the games that would have been 24 carries for 36 yards instead of 8 carries for 12 yards. They would have scored half the points that they did. Combine that with a defense that gave up 100 more points than Seattle and you have a 4 win season.

Tannehill is taking the necessary and painful steps to play from the pocket when the other team knows you are going to pass. That is what is required to be an elite QB. Wilson hasn't even begun the process yet. When (inevitably) Seattle's running game falters and defense fades, Wilson will need to carry a bigger load and may not be ready. When he ages or gets banged up (see RGIII last season), he may not have the same success. Btw, for all of Wilson's efficiency and care with the football, he is 4 times more likely to throw an INT when trailing than when leading. Because of the defense holding the other team, getting turnovers, and scoring themselves (combined with rushing TDs and special teams scores), Wilson was much more likely to be leading than Tannehill.

As I stated earlier, until a trend to running QBs is established, I want my QB to play primarily from the pocket.

You have it completely backwards. It's not that not all QBs can play in that type of system, it's that not all teams have the pieces to play that style of passing offense. If Miami had played Seattle's approach, they would have been much worse. I can't imagine all of the games that would have been 24 carries for 36 yards instead of 8 carries for 12 yards. They would have scored half the points that they did. Combine that with a defense that gave up 100 more points than Seattle and you have a 4 win season.

Tannehill is taking the necessary and painful steps to play from the pocket when the other team knows you are going to pass. That is what is required to be an elite QB. Wilson hasn't even begun the process yet. When (inevitably) Seattle's running game falters and defense fades, Wilson will need to carry a bigger load and may not be ready. When he ages or gets banged up (see RGIII last season), he may not have the same success. Btw, for all of Wilson's efficiency and care with the football, he is 4 times more likely to throw an INT when trailing than when leading. Because of the defense holding the other team, getting turnovers, and scoring themselves (combined with rushing TDs and special teams scores), Wilson was much more likely to be leading than Tannehill.

As I stated earlier, until a trend to running QBs is established, I want my QB to play primarily from the pocket.

Like Big Ben and Tom Brady?

And if it's such a distinct advantage for a QB to have that running game, why are the top ten rushing teams, on average, slightly below the league average for YPA? Why is the great Tom Brady not able to do what Wilson did with a top 10 rushing attack? Brady had a better O-line than Wilson, and when Gronk was healthy, he had better receiving options.

Huh?....Brady threw for more yards, passed for more touchdowns than Wilson.

The difference in the teams success is Wilson had the leagues best defense...Brady's, like Tannehills was not even close to the defense of Seattle.

The Patriots were 26th in yards allowed....Seattle #1.

Oh really...he had a good supporting cast troll...based on what?...your propaganda?

Bottom half of league....rushing, pass protect and stopping the run.

Please...can some Troll Jet fan tell me when the last Super bowl Champion ranked that low in those categories??????????

I'll hold Mr breath waiting for you Junc........

I or nobody I've seen says Tannehill is there yet, but to suggest his supporting cast was good enough is ridiculous and certainly blantantly unfair.

all you are going to do is make excuses so why should I bother? he clearly had weapons to throw to, he had decent RBs but you abandoned the run, your OL was mediocre. You make it sound like you had the worst talent in the league but yet this year you'll be great w/ most of the same talent!:lol:

So 4th in the league in rushing is only a quality running game. What are the top 3 rushing attacks called?

Greene had 108 carries in the regular season. He had 54 carries in the 3 playoff games. What does this show me? In the playoffs you need to run the ball to succeed especially when your QB is average at best.

You don't get it, you never will.

Only to someone like you would allowing the most sacks in team history, or 41 years, not be historic.

amazing how the SB champ QB was sacked at a higher rate.

Keep those excuses rolling.

You mean I have my own view on something and that's wrong b/c you disagree? Cool.

Are you really telling me that the running game and #1 defense had nothing to do with the SB champ QB?

You are allowed to disagree and have your own opinions obviously but when you keep posting rankings that are meaningless you don't get it.

The D and run game helped, the RB averaged almost the same as your leading RB. The difference is they didn't abandon the run. If Miami doesn't they easily make the playoffs.

So now in the trolls lala land he lives in.......Miami and New Englands defense is equivalent to Seattle?

Junc do you know how stupid your looking?
ear
And by the way...who said the Dolphins were going to be great this year?

The ways things are going, I see a repeat of last year on the O-line....and a reshuffling of the linebackers hoping to fix the run stopping problem.

We are looking at 5 new starters on the O-line....not exactly the same players there.

Its always possible lightning strikes but its really nothing but hope right now.

I would say 7 wins would be the right over/under right now.

So now in the trolls lala land he lives in.......Miami and New Englands defense is equivalent to Seattle?

Junc do you know how stupid your looking?
ear
And by the way...who said the Dolphins were going to be great this year?

The ways things are going, I see a repeat of last year on the O-line....and a reshuffling of the linebackers hoping to fix the run stopping problem.

We are looking at 5 new starters on the O-line....not exactly the same players there.

Its always possible lightning strikes but its really nothing but hope right now.

I would say 7 wins would be the right over/under right now.

where did I say Miami's D was equivalent to Seattle's? it's best to actually read my posts.

You are allowed to disagree and have your own opinions obviously but when you keep posting rankings that are meaningless you don't get it.

The D and run game helped, the RB averaged almost the same as your leading RB. The difference is they didn't abandon the run. If Miami doesn't they easily make the playoffs.

This is where you're wrong. My "rankings" are "meaningless" to you. Again you say I don't get it. What you mean to say is I don't agree with your view.

So you're telling me Lamar Miller could've posted similar stats to Marshawn Lynch's had they ran as much? As if there's a way to even say that with a straight face. Your playoffs comment is also something that cannot ever be proved which is typical of your views. Passed off as reality yet aren't things that can ever be determined as correct or not b/c it's all hyperbole.

Back
Top Bottom