Rashad Jones | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rashad Jones

My memory of that is vague!

It was the Jets game (first one?) when we came back from that deficit with a big fourth quarter rally. Peter Schrager reported immediately after the game taht Ajayi had a blowup on the sideline and took himself out of it because the team was throwing the ball and he couldn't get any touches.

Normally I am skeptical of those reports when they come from local beat writers, and especially when they come after a player has left town, but in this case it also mentioned by a Finheaven poster who was at the game, too.

So can we cut Reahaad Jones? Financially does it make sense? Can the fence be mended?

Technically, yes, we can cut anyone. Financially, it would be one of the stupidest moves we could make. As a result, to answer your third question... it's going to have to be.

but in this case it also mentioned by a Finheaven poster who was at the game, too.

Ahhhh, that transforms the news from untrustworthy to trustworthy...the word of a Finheaven poster who may or may not have had an bias against said player.

Again...paid professionals in their field can't be trusted.

I think Awsi’s point was more a large amount of society distrusting all major outlets without having any perspective. The problem is, instead of reading a variety of sources and maintaining a healthy skepticism, most of the people criticizing the media instead choose to believe even more biased, fringe sources that echo their own biases, or directly believe parties involved in the story (who obviously have a vested interest in discrediting critical stories). Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

I have read and acknowledged your post, but I find no merit in your attempts to rationalize and carry water for someone who posted something that is utterly ridiculous.

That's his job, not yours.

I have read and acknowledged your post, but I find no merit in your attempts to rationalize and carry water for someone who posted something that is utterly ridiculous.

That's his job, not yours.

I have tried to find some regard for you but it is not warranted. I guess we'll continue to disagree. From the minute you made that post regarding Marino throwing for 7000 yards in this era I knew you were exactly the type of person who I simply do not respect

I have tried to find some regard for you but it is not warranted. I guess we'll continue to disagree. From the minute you made that post regarding Marino throwing for 7000 yards in this era I knew you were exactly the type of person who I simply do not respect

Seems like a very strange connection you're trying to make between a sports take and someone being a respectable person.

You display your lack of respect for everyone who posts here every time you come in for a drive-by, insult everyone in the thread, and then slink away like a thief in the night when challenged to back up what you've posted or are presented with contrary evidence.

You don't need to announce your contempt for your fellow posters. It's evident in your posting.

From the minute you made that post regarding Marino throwing for 7000 yards in this era I knew you were exactly the type of person who I simply do not respect

I'm guessing you don't respect HOF'er Rod Woodson either.

It's pretty easy to assume that Rod has a decent understanding about the game and how different it is compared to the era in which he and Marino both played. While his statement is purely speculative, it's not totally unfounded.

I actually don't remember ever saying that Marino could pass for 7,000 yards, but if it was enough to instantly make someone lose respect for me, then I'm glad I said it. I hope I was being especially facetious when I did it, too.

It's actually a pretty interesting hypothetical scenario. 437+ yards per game is a lot, even for Danny boy. You figure, you've got to have good offensive coaching and pretty good talent around you, and a coach who is more than willing to run up the score every single week. Honestly, he'd have to play for the Patriots to do it. I hate to say that, but it's true. Bill Belichick is the only coach in football who would let him go out there and throw posts when it's 48-10 in the 4th quarter.

2018 NFL is different from even 2017 NFL, though. Weirdly enough, I think the biggest impediment to being able to pull that kind of crazy thing off would be the rule changes against the defense. A lot of passing yardage would be lost to penalty yards if you were dead set on smashing records like that.

Ahhhh, that transforms the news from untrustworthy to trustworthy...the word of a Finheaven poster who may or may not have had an bias against said player.

Again...paid professionals in their field can't be trusted.

When attempting to sort truth from fiction based on facts that you can't corroborate yourself, I think you just have to make a judgment call. I don't trust or distrust the Finheaven poster any more than the guy who works for NFL Network. One of these guys is a football fan who may or may not be trolling us. One of these guys is a football reporter for the League's mouthpiece who may or may not prioritize the clubs over the players. That's really the whole point that I think is relevant to the Reshad Jones reporting. For what it's worth, I've since learned that Schrager is apparently either friends with Gase or just really likes him. So yes, that does make it less credible to me in hindsight.

As far as the Jones thing, I absolutely believe that he had an argument with someone on the sidelines and took himself out of the game / was benched. It's the most plausible explanation here and it fits with the facts. And it's a real shame, because Reshad Jones is a good football player. But you do stuff like that... well, we all know what's going to happen. And I think it is warranted.

It's actually a pretty interesting hypothetical scenario. 437+ yards per game is a lot, even for Danny boy. You figure, you've got to have good offensive coaching and pretty good talent around you, and a coach who is more than willing to run up the score every single week. Honestly, he'd have to play for the Patriots to do it. I hate to say that, but it's true. Bill Belichick is the only coach in football who would let him go out there and throw posts when it's 48-10 in the 4th quarter.

2018 NFL is different from even 2017 NFL, though. Weirdly enough, I think the biggest impediment to being able to pull that kind of crazy thing off would be the rule changes against the defense. A lot of passing yardage would be lost to penalty yards if you were dead set on smashing records like that.

If he could throw for 5,084 and 48 TD's in 1984 -- when nobody else was coming all that close -- all while throwing to 2 diminutive 5'9" receivers in an era where defenders could be physical with receivers until the ball was in the air, it's not unrealistic to believe he'd own the record today -- whatever that number might be.

Not only have the rules changed to allow very little to no contact beyond 5 yards, think of the Wes Welker's of the world who couldn't run across the middle of the defense w/o getting drilled by a linebacker back in 70's and 80's. Now the smallish receivers run all over the field with impunity. And think of all the drives that are now extended by unintended (mostly) contact to receivers and QB's.

That's precisely why so many of these QB's are surpassing Marino's numbers. Take a look at the stats of the QB's that started their careers before the rules changes circa 2004ish. Brady, Manning, Brees. They went from largely high 20's in TD passes to high 30's and 40's most years. And nobody but Kurt Warner really came too close to Marino's yardage/TD records. But then Brees started hitting and surpassing it after the changes. And now several QB's have topped 5K yards.

If prime Marino were playing today with a team/coach that schemed to his strengths as Shula did, I have little doubt Marino could have topped 6,000 yards in a season (Manning and Brees both came close to 5,500). 7K is very unlikely, but who knows. Nobody thought 5,084 and 48 was possible back in the early 80's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom