RB- concern | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB- concern

CMC-injury prone
Cook-injury prone
Henry- wouldn’t say he’s prone but his team went from probably the afc favorite to average when he got hurt.

Ekeler, Taylor and Najee haven’t been around long enough but only a matter of time before wear and tear takes toll. These teams depend on these rbs and when they eventually go down they become a completely different team. This is why rb by committee is a thing. Keeps guys going longer and less dependable on one player.
Did I say they weren't injury prone?

Overpaying and underpaying are useful but overused concepts.

At the end of the day what matters is that you have the necessary talent at each position group to win. It's better to slightly overpay and have a guy contribute than to save 10% of the money and have a non factor.

As long as you aren't putting yourself into cap hell, you do what is necessary to give each unit the players needed to run your scheme.

I did not look into stats for our new RB's until today and with the contract we gave Edmonds I assumed he would have had way more accomplished.

Last year was his best statistically with 592 yards and a nice 5.1 average, in 2020 he had 402 passing yards.

Mostert's best year was in 2019 with 772 and a 5.6 average, best passing season was 2019 as well with 180 yards.

Those 5+ averages look great but they also had Olines that were strong or at least stronger than what we have had.

Michel has had some workhorse years with seasons of 931, 912 and 845 yards but only a 4.2 lifetime average, most passing yards he has had was last season with 128

Gaskin's most yards came last season with 612 but had his worst average with 3.5. In 2020 he added 388 in passing

I guess the hope is that Edmonds will keep seeing numbers go up and he will be a strong receiving option as well

Michel will get the hard yards and Mostert or Gaskin or ? will come in to give Edmonds breaks????????????????

I wish we had a clear number 1 RB and hope that Edmonds will be that guy....but he really hasn't ben that yet in his career.

PLEASE no repeat of Breida, Johnson etc. who all flopped in Dolphin uniforms.

I think 2023, if Tua looks good, Miami will use one of their high picks on a premier back(Probably 2nd round) to take that #1 RB place. Unless Edmonds ends up having a huge year.

Never looked at it like that myself ... I remember Jeff Fishers offense ... boring as hell......

Without the threat of a running game you have no shot at being successful on offense consistently... no running game and you will have sacks and int's as your highlights with the high probability of your 2nd string Qb ...

Having a superior back in your backfield only helps your passing game.

I'll agree balance helps, however...

What about the offense during Dave's tenure? 2 runs by Ricky up the gut & poorly thrown out route by Fielder?

I started the post and was unable to read many responses until now. I guess I should have said that I realize there will be a committee approach which yes has been the norm for most teams for a long time. I should also have stressed that, I am still a little worried on the talent we have as none of these guys have shown excellence in the past with better offensive lines.

Maybe they never had the chance due to the committee approach.

We paid Edmonds like a starter though, and if the intent is to give him 65-70% of the snaps I am not sure he or anyone could handle that and perform unless the line just makes it easy.

It is after the line that I want to see a true RB talent. Great O-lines open the lanes but great RB's break tackles and make people miss when running past the trenches.

here is to hoping Edmonds is that guy!

I started the post and was unable to read many responses until now. I guess I should have said that I realize there will be a committee approach which yes has been the norm for most teams for a long time. I should also have stressed that, I am still a little worried on the talent we have as none of these guys have shown excellence in the past with better offensive lines.

Maybe they never had the chance due to the committee approach.

We paid Edmonds like a starter though, and if the intent is to give him 65-70% of the snaps I am not sure he or anyone could handle that and perform unless the line just makes it easy.

It is after the line that I want to see a true RB talent. Great O-lines open the lanes but great RB's break tackles and make people miss when running past the trenches.

here is to hoping Edmonds is that guy!
14th ranked by salary. Hoping he plays commensurate with his salary ranking.

I'll agree balance helps, however...

What about the offense during Dave's tenure? 2 runs by Ricky up the gut & poorly thrown out route by Fielder?
LOL... I don't pay a lot of attention to the rear-view mirror... been there done that.... time to look ahead. Where is Dave Wannasteadyjob these days?
Ricky and I think the smoke has cleared from all of that and we are on to higher ground.

Hope this is a fun season.

a clear number 1 is not the idea in this offense. it'll be a committee and i like the group we have.
I think you should take a chill pill and relax there. Mostert, Edmunds and Sony have a lot of talent. Why don't you wait until preseason plays out before you go walking off the ledge.

a clear number 1 is not the idea in this offense. it'll be a committee and i like the group we have.

I think you should take a chill pill and relax there. Mostert, Edmunds and Sony have a lot of talent. Why don't you wait until preseason plays out before you go walking off the ledge.
200 (1).gif

Our RB room is much improved since last season. No clear #1 but but our top 3 guys bring different skill sets. I don’t expect Mostert to make a huge impact based on his injury history but if can rekindle some of his magic that would be an added plus. I think Zaquandre White may surprise and be a key contributor.

Overpaying and underpaying are useful but overused concepts.

At the end of the day what matters is that you have the necessary talent at each position group to win. It's better to slightly overpay and have a guy contribute than to save 10% of the money and have a non factor.

As long as you aren't putting yourself into cap hell, you do what is necessary to give each unit the players needed to run your scheme.
It's OK to "overpay" a bit for known commodities at areas of need, but that has to be balanced with drafting well and occasionally trading some good players away for draft capital when position depth permits.

It's OK to "overpay" a bit for known commodities at areas of need, but that has to be balanced with drafting well and occasionally trading some good players away for draft capital when position depth permits.

Agreed. If the team is poorly put together at the end of the day, overspending to make it better probably doesn't work. Especially if you lack depth in many areas.

I think RB should be the last piece of the puzzle. I think next years roster will be deep enough to grab an elite RB in the 1st or second round. But I’m comfortable with the group we have this year.

Back
Top Bottom