Re-energized Charles Harris Primed For Breakout Season | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Re-energized Charles Harris Primed For Breakout Season

What aspect of the Harris pick reminded you of Dion Jordan in any way (other than they play the same position)?
For both players there was a lot of commentary/footage that showed "potential" of sacks, holding the edge, and falling back into coverage when needed, but due to the rest of the D on their teams in the various situations, good things didn't really happen. I'm really not a fan of potential. A classic example is Cutler. Coming out of college people thought he was great, but he didn't get the wins because the team he was on had limited talent. He never seemed to spark his teammates in any way. That continued his entire career. Andrew Luck was opposite of Cutler in college, and I believe he would do really well in the NFL if his team had any talent.

Everything you see and judge in football is based on extremely limited data, and 'feelings' of good/bad have no real meaning, but I think players have to show something real in college, not just potential. That is why the two picks felt identical to me.

I still hope Harris becomes a player worthy of a first round pick, but he needs to show it on the field.

How does our FO keep getting these guys with.. issues.. that negatively affect their ability to play football?

Maybe because the Dolphins front office doesn't bother to properly interview their draft picks before selecting them....

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article147311299.html
The Dolphins identified Charles Harris as their guy a month ago — in March.

That, by the way, is really, really early in the draft process, particularly when a team is picking in the last third of the NFL Draft’s first round.

And yet, Harris was the Dolphins’ guy. They met him once at the NFL Scouting Combine in March and that, plus the tape of him chasing quarterbacks and running backs and making 12 tackles for loss and collecting nine sacks as a junior, sold them on their first-round selection Thursday.

No predraft visit.

No other contact to speak of

Harris had some high energy games in college. I was fooled for a while.

Then I noticed he was a 2-star recruit. That's a red flag in my book, in terms of a first round pick. Those guys should be the elite of the elite all their lives.

Once he flunked the metrics it meant he failed both categories I would look at first for any player, and especially a defensive end. Those Waldo and SackSEER and SPARQ scores have a tremendous record in terms of projecting edge rushers. If you aren't explosive enough the tape doesn't mean much of anything.
I didn’t see a player who played the game, i saw a player having issues tracking the ball, I saw a player trying to implement pass rush moves in game situations..he was raw... here’s to hoping he’s getting better.

Charles uses that spin move way too much instead of following through around the edge. When it looks like he could beat his man around the edge he goes to his spin move and gets stonewalled. Happens way too many times.

I was on board with the pick, I think he could get to that potential he has. But you never know.

TJ Watt making a lot of teams look bad though, so that one's not just on us.

Anyone see that stat line from week 1? Watt had 11 tackles, four sacks, three quarterback hurries and four tackles for loss. Oh and he managed to also block Cleveland's FG attempt in OT.

I understand why the dolphins chose Harris, positional need and has that “alpha” attitude they’ve been seeking.

But man there was some good talent still left on the board.

I get why we didn’t pick him, but passing on Reuben foster hurt like a MFer. But I get it, his history, life in Miami, his shoulder. I never expected them to make him the pick

Think about this.

Tredavious White, X, Minkah, Jones as your top 4 secondary pieces.

That’s what Miami passes when they took Harris.

What would a breakout season be after his rookie year? 4 sacks and 24 tackles?

Meh, didn't like the pick. Not a fan of Mizzou, so I have a inherit bias. But sadly, game after game seems to prove me right. Develop? A 1st round pick on defense should be a plug and play talent. Period.
I refer you to Mr Fitzpatrick who looks like from the moment he strapped a Phin hat on, that he belonged.

He is overrated draft to high.. something dolphins does a lot.now fan expect him to be great.. when he is avg. The same thing about dvp. How could 5,6,or even 7 Rd guy end up being better than first. Where team give 1,2 and 3td round guy almost every chance to succeed
I understand Parker going in round 1. Not Harris. He didn’t have the speed for the position, nor the body type. He’s got alligator arms and mediocre speed. He looked like a moron at times last year w that spin move that didn’t fool anyone. And then there’s the “I was in a dark place” stuff. I suspect he winds up a mediocre player in the Odrick or Matt Roth mold. “Black Ice”. What a stupid nickname he gave himself.

Back
Top Bottom