Real Problem With The Offense | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Real Problem With The Offense

Dolphins @ home PPG with Tannehill in Gase era (9 games) = 27.11

Dolphins @ home PPG with Cutler, Moore, Fales & Brock in the Gase era (11 games) = 22.55

———————-

Dolphins on the road PPG with Tannehill in Gase era (9 games) = 14.33

Dolphins on the road PPG with Moore, Cutler and Brock in Gase era (11 games) = 19.09

———————

Dolphins vs. Jets PPG with Tannehill in the Gase era (2 games) = 23.5

Dolphins vs. Jets PPG with Moore, Cutler and Osweiller in the Gase era (4 games) = 21

———————

Dolphins total PPG with Tannehill in Gase era (18 games) = 20.61

Dolphins total PPG with Moore, Cutler, Fales and Brock in Gase era (23 games) = 19.91

———————

Total games played by Tannehill in Gase era = 18

Total games played by Cutler, Moore, Fales and Osweiller in Gase era = 23

———————

Total salary earned by Tannehill in Gase era = $44 million

Total salary earned by Moore (2 years), Cutler, Brock and Fales (2 years) in Gase era = $16 million

———————

I will let you put all that into a vacuum and explain to me how much greater Ryan Tannehill is, in the grand scheme of things, for this organization in the Gase era.

Gase and THill - 11-7 61.1 winning %
Gase and the Backups - 10-14 41.6 winning %

So right at 3 games better in a 16 game season. Probably worth the extra cash maybe

Last edited by a moderator:
Gase and THill - 11-7
Gase and the Backups - 10-14

I didn’t include record because that involves defense as well, but fair enough:

Dolphins defense PPG with Tannhill in Gase era (18 games) = 23.22

Dolphins defense PPG with Moore, Cutler, Brock and Fales (23 games) = 25.26

I didn’t include record because that involves defense as well, but fair enough:

Dolphins defense PPG with Tannhill in Gase era (18 games) = 23.22

Dolphins defense PPG with Moore, Cutler, Brock and Fales (23 games) = 25.26

Hard to calculate but I'd imagine the stress put on the defense from playing your backup QB would make up that 2 point difference. By the way of short fields and turnovers. Just a guess though.

Hard to calculate but I'd imagine the stress put on the defense from playing your backup QB would make up that 2 point difference. By the way of short fields and turnovers. Just a guess though.

stress on the Dolphin defense? the defense is being stressed? I now have heard it all.

stress on the Dolphin defense? the defense is being stressed? I now have heard it all.

Yes a defense can be stressed. I can't believe i am having to explain how but I guess I will. A defense is more likely to give up points on short fields and turnovers. How do short fields happen? By a team's offense going three and out and turning over the ball on their own side of the field. Also, called field position.

Check out the Bills Defense for one that is stressed.

Dolphins @ home PPG with Cutler, Moore, Fales & Brock in the Gase era (11 games) = 22.55

———————-

Dolphins on the road PPG with Moore, Cutler and Brock in Gase era (11 games) = 19.09

I will let you put all that into a vacuum and explain to me how much greater Ryan Tannehill is, in the grand scheme of things, for this organization in the Gase era.

Probably 27.11 is high enough to win a large percentage of the home games and 22 is marginal. On the road, neither is good enough to win consistently. I'm guessing, that's why the record is so much better with Gase & Tannehill (G&T) vs Gase and everybody else (G&E).

G&T Home - 8-1
G&T Road - 3-6

G&E Home - 6-6
G&E Road - 4-7

So the difference in the records is due to the better winning percentage at home which is largely due to the PPG differential at home.

Yes a defense can be stressed. I can't believe i am having to explain how but I guess I will. A defense is more likely to give up points on short fields and turnovers. How do short fields happen? By a team's offense going three and out and turning over the ball on their own side of the field. Also, called field position.

Check out the Bills Defense for one that is stressed.

there is absolutely NO way the defense can suddenly be stressed by 3 and out since that has been our bread and butter for years. you cant say it all started with the backup QB.
Starting QB more proficient at turning the ball over than backup QB.

Probably 27.11 is high enough to win a large percentage of the home games and 22 is marginal. On the road, neither is good enough to win consistently. I'm guessing, that's why the record is so much better with Gase & Tannehill (G&T) vs Gase and everybody else (G&E).

G&T Home - 8-1
G&T Road - 3-6

G&E Home - 6-6
G&E Road - 4-7

So the difference in the records is due to the better winning percentage at home which is largely due to the PPG differential at home.

Or maybe Tannehill just lucked out with a much easier strength of schedule:

Opponent win% at home for Ryan Tannehill in Gase era (9 games) = .370 (47-80-1)

Opponent win% at home for Moore, Brock, Fales and Cutler in Gase era (11 games) = .503 (77-76)

Could certainly account for that type of point differential at home and ultimately the difference in record.

FYI i didn’t count the Saints game in London (our home game) in any calculations other than “total record”.

Reason why I have Miami at 6-5 at home and didn’t add the Saints record to any SOS totals.

Last edited:
there is absolutely NO way the defense can suddenly be stressed by 3 and out since that has been our bread and butter for years. you cant say it all started with the backup QB.
Starting QB more proficient at turning the ball over than backup QB.

We had 19 interceptions last year. So yeah that puts more pressure on the defense alone. Thill averages 13.5 in his full seasons. So the "more proficient at turning the ball over than the backup QB" is false.

———————-

———————

Dolphins vs. Jets PPG with Tannehill in the Gase era (2 games) = 23.5

Dolphins vs. Jets PPG with Moore, Cutler and Osweiller in the Gase era (4 games) = 21

———————

Dolphins total PPG with Tannehill in Gase era (18 games) = 20.61

Dolphins total PPG with Moore, Cutler, Fales and Brock in Gase era (23 games) = 19.91

———————

Total games played by Tannehill in Gase era = 18

Total games played by Cutler, Moore, Fales and Osweiller in Gase era = 23

———————

Total salary earned by Tannehill in Gase era = $44 million

Total salary earned by Moore (2 years), Cutler, Brock and Fales (2 years) in Gase era = $16 million

———————

We had 19 interceptions last year. So yeah that puts more pressure on the defense alone. Thill averages 13.5 in his full seasons. So the "more proficient at turning the ball over than the backup QB" is false.

Tannehill has had 13 fumbles and 17 int in 18 games with Gase compared to 26 int and 7 fumbles in 23 games for the backups. So Tannehill is worse at protecting the football.

Last edited:

Tannehill has 17 INTs in 18 games in the Gase era (.944 INTs a game)

The other 4 guys have 26 INTs in 23 games in the Gase era (1.13 INTs a game)

I mean that really isn’t a big difference tbh

Again . . . .we have a 41 game sample size under Gase and the needle barely moves. The biggest indicator is the money spent on the position, where Tannehill has been paid over 3 times the amount of every QB on the roster not named Tannehill over the past 3 years.

Tannehill has had 13 fumbles and 17 int in 18 games with Gase compared to 26 int and 7 fumbles in 23 games for the backups. So Tannehill is worse at protecting the football.

Thill lost 6 fumbles in 2016 and 2018 combined. Not sure where the 13 comes from. And he has a lower interception rate as mentioned by KDAWG so I am still not sure what you are arguing.

Tannehill has 17 INTs in 18 games in the Gase era (.944 INTs a game)

The other 4 guys have 26 INTs in 23 games in the Gase era (1.13 INTs a game)

I mean that really isn’t a big difference tbh

Again . . . .we have a 41 game sample size under Gase and the needle barely moves. The biggest indicator is the money spent on the position, where Tannehill has been paid over 3 times the amount of every QB on the roster not named Tannehill over the past 3 years.
Kdawg not to be a smartass, but I have a question.
I have a little bit of a different view or take on interceptions. I think a tipped ball or being hit when attempting a pass that results in interception is different then a defense of back making an interception. I know the end result is the same, but just saying he has 18 interceptions makes it sound like he was throwing into double coverage or just poor ball placement or bad decision making. I can’t fault a quarterback for a tipped ball at the line of scrimmage that results in an interception, but I will point my finger directly at him if the defense of back intercepts it. So my question is in a long roundabout way, out of those 18, how many were tipped or while he was being hit resulted an interception

The eternal question about RT17. How many more times, to quote Led Zeplin, do we need to see before we move on? Ok next year? I think that will be the case. I will be OK with that. But for the love of God, we better go hard to get some competition and possible replacement.

Back
Top Bottom