Reason a coveted QB available at No. 11 would be great for Dolphins even if they don’t want him | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reason a coveted QB available at No. 11 would be great for Dolphins even if they don’t want him

And nor does yours unless you can explain having one of the best head coaches in NFL history in Shula, one of the best QBs in Marino, and no Super Bowls to show for it. Remember, not one other position matters....

Different era. Shula and Marino with these QB protection rules and free agency would have won the big game for sure.

Different era. Shula and Marino with these QB protection rules and free agency would have won the big game for sure.

Maybe. But that doesn't change the fact that when we had one of the best coaches of all time coupled with one of the best QBs of all time, we didn't win the big game, which makes the point the OP was trying to make demonstrably false.

Yes, but just because you draft a QB in round 1 doesn't mean it's going to work out. That's the point.

Actually the odds are very good, better than 50%

There have been 10 Quarterback drafted in the 1st round since 2012 when Ryan was drafted not counting this past year. (Trubiski and Watson)

6 of the 10 have lead their team to the playoffs.

Luck
Bortles
Bridgewater
Mariotta
Wentz
Geoff

The 4 that haven't

Manuel
Tannehill (you could even count Ryan in the upper group since he was very close and we made it with backup)
Manzel
Winston

These weren't powerhouse teams they were all losing teams and they made the playoffs within a few years of drafting a first round QB.

You should move Tannehill up, or Wentz down because he made it with a back also.

Either way drafting a first round QB isn't as bad as many are making it out to be. That was my point. And I believe Wentz clinched a playoff spot before he went down. So that is a bit different. But yes if you just look at just the teams that drafted 1st round QB's 7 of the 10 made the playoffs.

Either way drafting a first round QB isn't as bad as many are making it out to be. That was my point. And I believe Wentz clinched a playoff spot before he went down. So that is a bit different. But yes if you just look at just the teams that drafted 1st round QB's 7 of the 10 made the playoffs.
Let's also make note that those are some pretty good teams, that those quarterbacks are on. Put any of those quarterbacks on the dolphins and they won't fair as well.

You should move Tannehill up, or Wentz down because he made it with a back also.

Except Wentz was on the verge of a MVP season and I believe they had already clinched by the time he went out. The same cannot be said for Tannehill.

Except Wentz was on the verge of a MVP season and I believe they had already clinched by the time he went out. The same cannot be said for Tannehill.
OK I'll give you that, but which quarterback had overall a better team. all those quarterbacks have better teams around them.

Let's also make note that those are some pretty good teams, that those quarterbacks are on. Put any of those quarterbacks on the dolphins and they won't fair as well.

It's also worth noting RT17, Manziel, and Manuel played on some pretty bad teams. Swap any of those 3 with Wentz or Bridgewater with D Thomas and Martin on the OL and Philbin as HC. That said, Wentz looks legit,. Goeff may be. The rest are still question marks.

There have been 10 Quarterback drafted in the 1st round since 2012 when Ryan was drafted not counting this past year. (Trubiski and Watson)

Luck
Bortles
Bridgewater
Mariotta
Wentz
Geoff

The 4 that haven't

Manuel
Tannehill (you could even count Ryan in the upper group since he was very close and we made it with backup)
Manzel
Winston

These weren't powerhouse teams they were all losing teams and they made the playoffs within a few years of drafting a first round QB.

Another way to look at that list is that none of the QBs (except Luck and maybe Wentz) is significantly better than Tannehill. Many (Bortles, Mariota, Bridgewater, Manuel, Manziel, and Winston) are worse than Tannehill. The odds of improving the QB situation by drafting a new QB just aren't very good.

The odds of improving the QB situation by drafting a new QB just aren't very good.

That is strictly your opinion and not based in any fact. That might be true if you already have a top 10 QB. But for the teams that don’t almost all have an improved QB situation.

Mariota > Mettenberger
Bottles > Henne
Tannehill > Moore
Wentz > Sanchez/Bradford
Geoff > Foles
Taylor>Manuel>Fitzpatrick
Luck>Painter
Bridgewater>Cassell

Last edited:
That is strictly your opinion and not based in any fact. That might be true if you already have a top 10 QB. But for the teams that don’t almost all have an improved QB situation.

Mariota > Mettenberger
Bottles > Henne
Tannehill > Moore
Wentz > Sanchez/Bradford
Geoff > Foles
Taylor>Manuel>Fitzpatrick
Luck>Painter
Bridgewater>Cassell

I was talking about improving on Tannehill. That is why is wrote the QB situation and not a QB situation. MO, he is in the 10-15 range.

BTW, how can Goff be better than a SB MVP? That must be impossible (just kidding)

I like many players if they are here at 11. But if Mayfield is there, I'd likely pick him. If Ryan is the guy the FO wants, then Nelson would be good for protection and destroying the d line.
If the FO absolutely wants defense, then I like James as a playmaker-day 1. Edmunds Intrigues me, and Im meh on Smith.

Luck
Bortles
Bridgewater
Mariotta
Wentz
Geoff

The 4 that haven't

Manuel
Manzel
Winston

Bortles only made the playoffs with the 2nd scoring D,
Bridgewater made the playoffs with the 5th scoring D
Wentz would've made the playoffs with the 4th scoring D

Back
Top Bottom