Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert

When you reach for a player with a less than perfect record in an area of the draft where players are less questionable... just because you NEED that position, that is overdrafting.

Like throwing up a three point shot from halfcourt when you are down by 2...

Your pick is based on wishes, rather than pedigree.

Who is your pick at 5? Maybe you said it and I scrolled past...but I'm going to look at your pock through the very lens you provided here.

The Miami Dolphins’ offseason is going to be filled with rumors and drama long before the team will have any answers on how their roster rebuild is going to come to life. And much of the buzz around the Dolphins is going to stem from breadcrumbs picked up along the way of what Miami is researching. The latest snippet surrounding the Dolphins’ quarterback search comes from Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller — who was told that Miami is doing their homework on Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert.

That's the tricky part of this time of year. Was that a smokescreen, or was this a smokescreen?

20200104_160215.jpg

Replace Fromm with Love.
The only place Love is considered a draft pick is on this site pushed by a particulate group of two. Love is the farthest 1st rd choice I've seen in the longest time. Don't perpetuate the bs love crap.

Is that so? Sounds like you're an insider. What's the Chargers opinion on Love?

QB is less likely to work out than other positions you'd draft at 5, but, of course, the payoff is in a different stratosphere. The question is, Is the QB I'm taking at 5 a shot in the dark - like the QB's who will be available later - or does this QB have a real path forward? Herbert imo has one foot in the "shot in the dark" group and one in the "real path forward" group.

In a good situation, I'd expect him to look a lot like Tannehill in Tennessee. If you simplify the game for him, he can certainly make all the throws you want/need. But, you'll have games where his processing speed makes him look like a bum. It's not ideal, but it's at least something to work with. The biggest danger with Herbert is QB purgatory. If I'm drafting a QB like that, I'm going to be willing to upgrade. I'm drafting him to compete with whatever QB I have a shot at in 2021.

I think we're screwed at QB this year. May as well get surrounding talent this year, get a QB in the 5th or 6th round, and trade everything for Lawrence next year.

I think we're screwed at QB this year. May as well get surrounding talent this year, get a QB in the 5th or 6th round, and trade everything for Lawrence next year.
But what if Caitlyn Jenner turns out to be a bust...then what?

Burrow... one good year
Tua... fragile
Herbert... sporadic production
Fromm... underwhelming year
Eason... raw, bounced around
Love... too many turnovers, low level competition.

Sure... all of them COULD work... maybe, but none of them scream bulletproof... they just don't.

Hell... maybe Costello's the guy.

I'm not gonna reach. I'm gonna figure out which 2-3 I like and then see if they fall.
If they start to fly off the board, I got 14 picks and plenty of ammo to move up.

But I'm gonna start in patience mode... maybe trade down from 5 while the nervous GMs start to trade up.

But that's me, your milage may differ.

Said a while back as the season progressed and I watched a lot more college ball

I became less and less impressed with this QB class. I think they ALL have some

significant obvious warts are none are guaranteed top shelf NFL prospects IMO.

That said -- I would be disappointed if we burn our 1st R1 on a QB. Too many

top shelf prospects on the board and we need them!

In fact I'm totally OK rolling with Fitz and banking on the development of Rosen

and maybe grab a QB to develop somewhere around R3...

2020 is phase II of the rebuild and still a developmental year -- tho we should be

close to 500 ball. I'd like load up on the O this draft -- build the OL, RB, WR etc.

Give Fitz/Rosen some pass pro and a legit run game -- add weapons and score

points! I mean we just watched Thill win a playoff game! You can still win as a TEAM!

Said a while back as the season progressed and I watched a lot more college ball

I became less and less impressed with this QB class. I think they ALL have some

significant obvious warts are none are guaranteed top shelf NFL prospects IMO.

That said -- I would be disappointed if we burn our 1st R1 on a QB. Too many

top shelf prospects on the board and we need them!

In fact I'm totally OK rolling with Fitz and banking on the development of Rosen

and maybe grab a QB to develop somewhere around R3...

2020 is phase II of the rebuild and still a developmental year -- tho we should be

close to 500 ball. I'd like load up on the O this draft -- build the OL, RB, WR etc.

Give Fitz/Rosen some pass pro and a legit run game -- add weapons and score

points! I mean we just watched Thill win a playoff game! You can still win as a TEAM!
Sorry BNF..but other than one great 3rd down pass...that game belong to mister Henry..

Sorry BNF..but other than one great 3rd down pass...that game belong to mister Henry..

did he play D as well?

No!

Sure Henry was bad a s s but -- kinda makes my point

NOT a QB!

:)

QB is less likely to work out than other positions you'd draft at 5, but, of course, the payoff is in a different stratosphere. The question is, Is the QB I'm taking at 5 a shot in the dark - like the QB's who will be available later - or does this QB have a real path forward? Herbert imo has one foot in the "shot in the dark" group and one in the "real path forward" group.

In a good situation, I'd expect him to look a lot like Tannehill in Tennessee. If you simplify the game for him, he can certainly make all the throws you want/need. But, you'll have games where his processing speed makes him look like a bum. It's not ideal, but it's at least something to work with. The biggest danger with Herbert is QB purgatory. If I'm drafting a QB like that, I'm going to be willing to upgrade. I'm drafting him to compete with whatever QB I have a shot at in 2021.
I was wondering if initial statement - QB less likely to work out at top 5 as opposed to other positions.
It’s an interesting discussion.
How do you evaluate this in light of Trubisky, Bortles... they should never have been picked- feel like that’s a universal given.
There have certainly been less Trent Richardson’s, Blackmons, Jordan’s, in last 5 years. It seems like top 5 have definitely been hitting higher rate.

Yah well it is Smokescreen Season afterall

tenor.gif

Or maybe just maybe, they are doing their jobs and doing their due diligence? Or is that just too crazy of an idea.

I don't care for Herbert but we should absolutely be looking hard at every QB prospect this off season.

Please stop with the smokescreen non sense.

You gotta let this trade up for Lawrence thing go. No team is going to be able to do that, regardless of the assets available/offered. Doesn't matter if we acquire an extra 1 next year and offer all 3 1's and 2022's 1. It's going to be a hard no for whichever team lucks into the top pick.

That's a guarantee.

If we're talking 2021 QB then it's Fields and Tua (if he stays) that will cost an arm and a leg to move up for. Our pick will likely be in the teens. Houston's pick will likely be in the 20s.

When you reach for a player with a less than perfect record in an area of the draft where players are less questionable... just because you NEED that position, that is overdrafting.

Like throwing up a three point shot from halfcourt when you are down by 2...

Your pick is based on wishes, rather than pedigree.

There are players (plural) with perfect records

Back
Top Bottom