Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert

Was it largofin who showed a highlight clip of Elijah Sindelar? Purdue QB. Guy looked good. Check him out.

I'm scared to death of Herbert. He's certainly talented but he's got a lot to be desired in some areas. Call me crazy, but I'd draft another QB in the 1st round in 2021, especially if Miami is picking top 5-7

Was it largofin who showed a highlight clip of Elijah Sindelar? Purdue QB. Guy looked good. Check him out.

I'd target Sindelar in the second round, injury and all. And Anthony Gordon. And if I miss out on one of them, I'd take Cole McDonald as a second QB behind Sindelar as insurance.
But give them at least Tee Higgins, so we roll out Parker, Higgins, Preston, and Wilson. Give him at least two big targets with hands.

I was wondering if initial statement - QB less likely to work out at top 5 as opposed to other positions.
It’s an interesting discussion.
How do you evaluate this in light of Trubisky, Bortles... they should never have been picked- feel like that’s a universal given.
There have certainly been less Trent Richardson’s, Blackmons, Jordan’s, in last 5 years. It seems like top 5 have definitely been hitting higher rate.

Yeah, I would say I've learned a lot since Bortles came out, but I still had him in the Top 40 range - nowhere close to Top 5. Trubisky, I think I had right around 40 overall. I thought they had a lot to overcome, and whether or not he works out, I like Herbert better than both.

Yeah draft Herbet when you already had Tannehill. It makes zero sense.

Precisely. It's the same point I was going to make.

Herbert isn't identical to Tannehill category to category but the bottom line is the same toward the burden and predicament of the franchise.

Keep waiting. Keep surrounding. Wonderful plan. It simply is not the real world. Players come and go. Coaches come and go. By the time the quarterback is ready you've been through so many players and so many plans it's mostly random where the heck you are at that given point in time.

And if you're not fortified at that stage, then the quarterback's new level is not particularly meaningful.

You need someone who can create and elevate. That's why Jordan Love is intriguing, no matter what he looked like this season. Sure it's a gamble. Gambles are necessary, whether it's Tua's health or Love's future level. This isn't obvious plug and play like later first round offensive linemen.

Tannehill and Herbert were each 3 star recruits who didn't have the same confidence level in college that an elite recruit would have. They don't expect to win those pivotal games. They are surprised and borderline shocked when it happens. It takes a heck of a lot to drum that out of a guy, to make him sense that he belongs. Contrast to Joe Burrow and that awesome arrogant expression he owned throughout the Alabama game. He may have been a backup at Ohio State. But he's always envisioned himself at this level. Natural leader.

Herbert is more of a natural gunslinger than Tannehill. Somebody implied that in this thread. I think it is valid. Stick him in a more standard offense without the sideways garbage and maybe you knock some sense into him quickly. But then you have to deal with the erratic throws and decisions. He is not as naturally accurate as Tannehill, IMO.

Tannehill always struck me as mostly bland personality. Show up and see what happens. Herbert comes across as introvert, and ckparrothead described.

Precisely. It's the same point I was going to make.

Herbert isn't identical to Tannehill category to category but the bottom line is the same toward the burden and predicament of the franchise.

Keep waiting. Keep surrounding. Wonderful plan. It simply is not the real world. Players come and go. Coaches come and go. By the time the quarterback is ready you've been through so many players and so many plans it's mostly random where the heck you are at that given point in time.

And if you're not fortified at that stage, then the quarterback's new level is not particularly meaningful.

You need someone who can create and elevate. That's why Jordan Love is intriguing, no matter what he looked like this season. Sure it's a gamble. Gambles are necessary, whether it's Tua's health or Love's future level. This isn't obvious plug and play like later first round offensive linemen.

Tannehill and Herbert were each 3 star recruits who didn't have the same confidence level in college that an elite recruit would have. They don't expect to win those pivotal games. They are surprised and borderline shocked when it happens. It takes a heck of a lot to drum that out of a guy, to make him sense that he belongs. Contrast to Joe Burrow and that awesome arrogant expression he owned throughout the Alabama game. He may have been a backup at Ohio State. But he's always envisioned himself at this level. Natural leader.

Herbert is more of a natural gunslinger than Tannehill. Somebody implied that in this thread. I think it is valid. Stick him in a more standard offense without the sideways garbage and maybe you knock some sense into him quickly. But then you have to deal with the erratic throws and decisions. He is not as naturally accurate as Tannehill, IMO.

Tannehill always struck me as mostly bland personality. Show up and see what happens. Herbert comes across as introvert, and ckparrothead described.
“Gambles are necessary, whether it's Tua's health or Love's future level.”
I couldn’t agree any more than this quote because of the importance of finding the QB.

“Gambles are necessary, whether it's Tua's health or Love's future level.”
I couldn’t agree any more than this quote because of the importance of finding the QB.
Another gamble would be on Herbert, and I like that roll of the dice. Other than the Andrew Lucks of the world it's almost always a gamble- roll the bones and hope for the best.

You gotta let this trade up for Lawrence thing go. No team is going to be able to do that, regardless of the assets available/offered. Doesn't matter if we acquire an extra 1 next year and offer all 3 1's and 2022's 1. It's going to be a hard no for whichever team lucks into the top pick.

That's a guarantee.

If we're talking 2021 QB then it's Fields and Tua (if he stays) that will cost an arm and a leg to move up for. Our pick will likely be in the teens. Houston's pick will likely be in the 20s.
We might aswell make this post our signature and maybe people will finally start to get that

Yup... was pretty much my unspoken point.

Don't bet longshots early.

Another gamble would be on Herbert, and I like that roll of the dice. Other than the Andrew Lucks of the world it's almost always a gamble- roll the bones and hope for the best.
Fair point.
If you say, Best QB on the board “no matter what” and in your opinion it’s Herbert- tough for me to argue.

I'm scared to death of Herbert. He's certainly talented but he's got a lot to be desired in some areas. Call me crazy, but I'd draft another QB in the 1st round in 2021, especially if Miami is picking top 5-7

I would too! Our biggest failure was not drafting QBs after Tannehill.

I don't think Herbert is even remotely similar to Tannehill when he was drafted. I don't really get the comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom