Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert

Believe it if you want to or not, but i've heard from someone i believe that Grier is extremely fond of Herbert and would of sold the farm to get him this offseason should he have came out.
What is the GM supposed to say of the incumbent QB class?? They all need a lot of work???

Everyone gets a good grade - Everyone gets a the needle is moving up on that player he is an “interesting prospect” grade

I do think Miami needs to draft a quarterback this season.

I know a lot of people are pointing to next year's draft, but the Dolphins may not be in range to trade up. Whoever ends up with the top pick is taking Lawrence.

Burrow... one good year
Tua... fragile
Herbert... sporadic production
Fromm... underwhelming year
Eason... raw, bounced around
Love... too many turnovers, low level competition.

Sure... all of them COULD work... maybe, but none of them scream bulletproof... they just don't.

Hell... maybe Costello's the guy.

I'm not gonna reach. I'm gonna figure out which 2-3 I like and then see if they fall.
If they start to fly off the board, I got 14 picks and plenty of ammo to move up.

But I'm gonna start in patience mode... maybe trade down from 5 while the nervous GMs start to trade up.

But that's me, your milage may differ.
That's part of the problem for sure. But, I think it comes down to coaching. Who can this staff develop?

Tua is the most ready, but being available (healthy) is huge. I might still take that chance.

Herbert is intriguing. I don't know about his intangibles. Those are the types of things Miami will figure out.

Been part of this particular board for over 10 years and I've never seen a single quarterback in that time that wasn't criticized on this board. They were all overrated. From Matt Ryan all the way to Kyler Murray.

The perfect quarterback with no question marks is never going to come along, and Trevor Lawrence won't be it either. I'll have more on that when the time comes.

Been part of this particular board for over 10 years and I've never seen a single quarterback in that time that wasn't criticized on this board. They were all overrated. From Matt Ryan all the way to Kyler Murray.

The perfect quarterback with no question marks is never going to come along, and Trevor Lawrence won't be it either. I'll have more on that when the time comes.

What were the knocks on Luck?

He was as clean of a prospect as I have ever seen.

Go time..pc happening now

What were the knocks on Luck?

He was as clean of a prospect as I have ever seen.

Absolutely - and a better prospect than Trevor Lawrence in my opinion. But he wasn't a perfect prospect. People questioned his loopy throwing motion and his velocity. A lot of folks here weren't sold on him and weren't interested in seeing Miami lose out to get him. I remember it well.

My point is - even if there were a such thing as a perfect quarterback prospect, this board would find reasons not to draft him. I've seen it every single time.

Sure, and this doesn't surprise me. It is human nature to overanalyze and nitpick... I generally just laugh. Life is too short to let this stuff annoy me.

Growing up in California, I was lucky in a way... since there were very few Dolphins fans, there were very few opportunities to encounter the stupid bar fan type.
Heh! So I always accociated the dumb jock stuff with Raiders fans.

Growing up in California, I was lucky in a way... since there were very few Dolphins fans, there were very few opportunities to encounter the stupid bar fan type.
Heh! So I always accociated the dumb jock stuff with Raiders fans.

I think in general, NFL fans are more afraid of busting out on a quarterback than they are of passing up a franchise quarterback and letting somebody else have him. Which is the wrong perspective in my opinion. They just don't want their team to get laughed at. The Dolphins have been laughed at for decades.

Fans believe that busting on a quarterback high sets your organization back a decade - because that's the way it used to be - but it's not that way anymore. Back before the rookie salary cap, you had to make a much more significant financial commitment to the quarterback. It used to be your high QB draft pick had to sit for a year or two behind a veteran, learn the ropes - then you needed at minimum 30 starts to get an evaluation of him according to the old Bill Parcells rules....

If it didn't work out, then you had to draft another one high and repeat the process. Yeah, maybe a decade has passed by the time all this has taken place.

However, it's just not the case anymore. You take a QB high, they play immediately now because quarterbacks are so much more developed coming out of high school now and entering college than they used to be. The financial commitment isn't as significant. You don't need 30 starts anymore to see what you have. The entire process is expedited now. You're not going to set your organization back a decade even if you miss. Busting out on a quarterback isn't the end of the world.

As Awsi has pointed out many times, the worse case scenario isn't busting out on a quarterback. The worst case scenario is what Miami went through with Ryan Tannehill. Drafting a mediocre quarterback high that puts you in QB purgatory, and forces you to make a financial commitment to the mediocrity on his 2nd contract, or cut bait and start over again. Most front offices aren't going to be given the latter option and need to make the only decision they can to remain employed.

The best way to build a team that can compete is to get a young QB in your building that can play on a rookie contract and build around him.

The main problem with this pov, is that the type of QB most prepared to play early is the leg QB... running and RPO guys, rather than pocket QBs.

...and since it is undeniable that these QBs dont last as long as the pocket guys, this will lead to the Cam Newtonization of the NFL. Guys tossed aside when they hit 30 because their game is too dependent on legs.

The impatience that this 'new way' leads to will only result in a rinse and repeat cycle that some of us question.

The main problem with this pov, is that the type of QB most prepared to play early is the leg QB... running and RPO guys, rather than pocket QBs.

...and since it is undeniable that these QBs dont last as long as the pocket guys, this will lead to the Cam Newtonization of the NFL. Guys tossed aside when they hit 30 because their game is too dependent on legs.

The impatience that this 'new way' leads to will only result in a rinse and repeat cycle that some of us question.

I agree. I don't particularly like the way football is played now and it's going to pass me by anyday now. But if you're going to make a living in an NFL front office nowdays, you either better open your eyes and get with it or get your fly fishing gear out.

This actually strengthens the entrenched GMs I think. If you are in charge of a long time great program, you dont have to jump at the new thing.
New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay... they can buy and sell to the nervous Nelly GMs...

(Steepling fingers and emitting and evil laugh...) Oh... so you'd like to trade for Garrapolo...

I don't think any GM was more entrenched than Ozzie Newsome, and even he seen the writing on the wall as he was exiting the building. He decided to leave Lamar Jackson as his parting gift. I think you'll see the rest follow suit. The game is changing and the rest will change with it.

Back
Top Bottom