Restructured Contracts and Cuts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Restructured Contracts and Cuts?

WestSideFin

Active Roster
Reaction score
With free agency rapidly approaching I would like to see the following players put the team first and restructure there contacts and take pay cuts. Byron Jones, Shaq Lawson, Eric Flowers. As for players cut obviously KVN is out and following him I would say is Jakeem Grant, Albert Wilson, and Allen Hurns. Thoughts on anyone else? I have a feeling we are trying to free up money to be aggressive in free agency. Fins up.

Stay well away from restructures, it's what got us into mess before and a legacy left by Mike T.

The three wideouts you listed I would cut too but from a performance perspective not to save money.

Last edited:
Well reports had us approaching KVN with a restructure and he said no so they cut him indicating we are trying to restructure contracts

Cut Grant, Fejeldam, Perry, Bowden, all RBs not named Gaskin or Ahmed

You know a restructure is just paying someone more guaranteed up front as a 'bonus' and results in more dead cap, correct? Makes it tougher to cut someone, usually extends the non-cuttable years by about 2. Byron can be cut after Y2, if he restructures, it's more or less after Y4 he can be cut.

Lawson & Flowers won't be restructured. They are essentially in the final year of a 3y contract and can be easily let go next year so they do not have to be here 3 years. Grier was smart and effectively used excess cap to pay extra bonuses up front to Van Noy, Lawson, Flowers, and Jones after they signed so they can get out of the contracts a year earlier if they did not perform.

Last edited:
With free agency rapidly approaching I would like to see the following players put the team first and restructure there contacts and take pay cuts. Byron Jones, Shaq Lawson, Eric Flowers. As for players cut obviously KVN is out and following him I would say is Jakeem Grant, Albert Wilson, and Allen Hurns. Thoughts on anyone else? I have a feeling we are trying to free up money to be aggressive in free agency. Fins up.

Haha. This is great. I'd like to see you go to your boss and put your company first and take a pay cut.

Cut Grant, Fejeldam, Perry, Bowden, all RBs not named Gaskin or Ahmed
Bowden will be a fine slot WR for us... and he's cheap... Perry is what he is.

He goofed man. How the heck you don't get that 2nd year fully guaranteed.
Honestly I believe it's because Grier gave him an extra $6M bonus on top of it with the excess cap (9+6=$15/1y) and decided to take it up front instead of that second year.

It depends how aggressive Miami intends to be in free agency. I think Grant, Wilson and Hurns are easy cuts to make. Not sure how much that frees up. I could also see Flores keeping Grant because he has value in the return game.

At roughly $35 million in salary cap space, the Dolphins could add a couple of starters and a backup quarterback. That's a realistic goal. Two starters in free agency and four in the draft would come close to filling Miami's most pressing needs.

Honestly I believe it's because Grier gave him an extra $6M bonus on top of it with the excess cap (9+6=$15/1y) and decided to take it up front instead of that second year.

He played himself.

Shaq Lawson . . . on a 3/30 million dollar deal, pocketed $13.5 million in 2020 and got his 2nd year guaranteed.

KVN on a 4/51 deal . . . pocketed $15 million in 2020 and didn't guarantee his 2nd year.

Back
Top Bottom