Restructured Contracts and Cuts? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Restructured Contracts and Cuts?

I know no one wants to hear this, but I think it’s a HIGHLY likely possibility that we trade X before the draft if we can get another #1 for him. Since Flo is a Pats understudy, it would be such a Patriot thing to do—trading a player at the top of his game to a contender, is how the Pats have been relevant for so long.
I wouldn't say highly likely, particularly given next year's cap situation, but if the right deal came along, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Well I’m a firefighter and love my job so it’s tough. Firefighters are severely underpaid NFL players are not may be a little different but I still see your point. It’s probably not happening. I’m just hoping we can bring in a few more key pieces and keep building this thing.
Thank you for your service brother.

I'm a fellow Firefighter btw.

With free agency rapidly approaching I would like to see the following players put the team first and restructure there contacts and take pay cuts. Byron Jones, Shaq Lawson, Eric Flowers. As for players cut obviously KVN is out and following him I would say is Jakeem Grant, Albert Wilson, and Allen Hurns. Thoughts on anyone else? I have a feeling we are trying to free up money to be aggressive in free agency. Fins up.
Well I wouldn't have expected the Van Noy cut, so I'm not really a good point of view for this one. Our capologists are more informed and aware of the complexities than I am. But, here's how I see it:

Not likely to restructure
Byron Jones:
He just signed his contract, and the reason we paid him the big money was to both provide shut down coverage and funnel the targets towards Xavien Howard so he could generate takeaways. That strategy worked to perfection ... it couldn't have worked any better than it did. Jones is providing the impact we had hoped and he correctly expects to be paid as promised.

Should restructure
Shaq Lawson
:
Came on towards the end, and was part of a productive offense. Definitely a big step up from what we had (or didn't have) before. But for his price, he definitely did not perform. Candidate to be replaced if there were good prospects for edge rushers in this draft class, but since there aren't ... he may get a pass. But unless his performance continues, it's only a matter of time until he's cut. Perhaps a future-friendly contract restructuring now could ensure he has a home in the next year or two.

Eric Flowers:
He did OK, and while his play was below that of his salary, it has been a hard position for the Dolphins scouts to fill. Lots of reasons to not restructure. But, we're drafting a lot of young OL, and expect this trend to continue. If he doesn't restructure, I highly anticipate we'll draft his replacement in 2021 and look to replace him in 1 year. Sure, he could improve and eliminate this threat ... but let's be realistic, Eric Flowers has only ever looked "good" in Washington, and if there is an aberration in his track record .... that was it. The guy is in a good spot here where he can be mediocre and not under a microscope. He's a Miami guy, so the Dolphins make sense. No state taxes, great weather It's an up and coming team and he could have a leadership/mentor role. Probable playoff money and a chance for a ring. Young, mobile QB to take the focus off him. Everything is looking up. This is a place he should want to be and his coaches are on his side and getting promoted (new OL coach was his assistant OL coach, Studs was our defacto run game coordinator, and our former TE coach uses them as WR's so he needs his OL to pass protect well). He may need to right-size his contract if he wants to stay ... and this is definitely the year to do that.

Jakeem Grant:
I'm a big Grant fan ... sometimes called an apologist for the guy. But at this stage of his career we know what he is .. an explosive dynamic special teams guy and an OK group player. Phenomenal quickness and speed, iffy hands, not enough muscle to beat press consistently but enough quickness to scare most DB's into a huge cushion. We know the Dolphins will be bringing in a new high draft pick WR or two, with reports we might also look to add a high-end veteran WR. Grant's days are numbered. He can either try to maximize this contract, or he can look to become the ultimate team player and get his contract in line with being too valuable to lose. He's a role player, not a Tyreek Hill difference maker, although I had always held out hope he could become the latter. Now is his time to choose, because he may not get many other chances to make this decision and remain a Dolphin.

Albert Wilson:
Let's be honest, I think Wilson is gone. We needed him last year and he went AWOL. Sure, there's a good reason for it, but the NFL doesn't care WHY you didn't perform, it just cares WHETHER you perform. If you're performing, they'll put up with criminals, women-beaters (Brandon Marshall), and any other multitude of sins. If you're not ... you're gone. So, it may not make one bit of difference whether Wilson restructures or not. But if he has any hope of being in Miami longer than this year, it's by restructuring and performing in 2021. After that, he's just plain gone.

Allen Hurns:
Like Wilson I doubt he stays. Talented guy also, but he didn't play much and then took last year off. That's a whole lotta nothin for his roster spot and salary. It would surprise me to see him stick around, but like Wilson, his only shot would be a complete revamp of contract, health, attitude, and performance. I doubt we see all that.

Again, their cap implications will dictate a lot of what happens, so I'll leave it to our capologists to explain how that changes the analysis I just presented.

Back
Top Bottom