Restructured Contracts and Cuts? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Restructured Contracts and Cuts?

Grant is still a weapon on ST and one of the best at his position. Don’t see him cut. Hurns and Wilson are gone after last years fiasco. Could see us cutting our punter who I’ve never been a fan of, or at least picking up a FA for comp. Will will be active and upgrading in FA
I think Wilson and Grant are gone for sure. I can see us keeping Hurns through camp to see what he has in the tank but I don't think he'll make the final roster. There's a handful of explosive/smaller prospects in the middle rounds that we can draft to take over as returner. Hopefully they can give us a little boost on offense as well.

If we do go after Golladay, that'd make sense too. Draft one of the top receivers in the 1st to add to our core and then draft an explosive playmaking receiver in the middle rounds. The top WR we draft with the 3rd pick will bring some type of explosiveness and playmaking ability to the table as well.

He played himself.

Shaq Lawson . . . on a 3/30 million dollar deal, pocketed $13.5 million in 2020 and got his 2nd year guaranteed.

KVN on a 4/51 deal . . . pocketed $15 million in 2020 and didn't guarantee his 2nd year.

KVN knew what was up. He won't take a pay cut, and probably be signed somewhere else.

I think Wilson and Grant are gone for sure. I can see us keeping Hurns through camp to see what he has in the tank but I don't think he'll make the final roster. There's a handful of explosive/smaller prospects in the middle rounds that we can draft to take over as returner. Hopefully they can give us a little boost on offense as well.

If we do go after Golladay, that'd make sense too. Draft one of the top receivers in the 1st to add to our core and then draft an explosive playmaking receiver in the middle rounds. The top WR we draft with the 3rd pick will bring some type of explosiveness and playmaking ability to the table as well.

People are likely to get cut once we stabilize our rosters. Some people perform in training camp extremely well enough to keep their jobs. We don't really know how drastic the change in offense will be for the rest of the team. Some players fit certain schemes better than others. We won't be using Chan Gailey's system anymore as much of the people here didn't even give a lot of credit for our wins.

I'd restructure Jones...5 million
I'd cut Fejedelem, Smythe, Grant, and Davis...10 million
Either Rowe or McCain...either one saves 5 mil

So there is plenty of cap space, if needed. Load the money to hit next year's cap. Spend wisely, and you aren't in cap hell.
Lol.....they just extended Smythe (like 2 weeks ago), and why would you want to cut him anyway?

Why would Jones want a restructure, unless they backloaded with bigger gauranteed $, and I hate that idea.

Davis? Really? He isn't making starter money, and can play any position on the line (sans C) without being an embarrassment. What are you replacing that with, for less? You might want to look at the contract structure before you say that's a good idea.

Same with Rowe and McCain, how are you filling the holes you create for less?

Lol.....they just extended Smythe (like 2 weeks ago), and why would you want to cut him anyway?

Why would Jones want a restructure, unless they backloaded with bigger gauranteed $, and I hate that idea.

Davis? Really? He isn't making starter money, and can play any position on the line (sans C) without being an embarrassment. What are you replacing that with, for less? You might want to look at the contract structure before you say that's a good idea.

Thank you for this post Mach, a more eloquently worded post than I wouldve ended up with...
\
Cutting both safeties.... our top back up OL..... and a TE who isnt even expensive

lol wtf? Just to blow on.... what?

Last edited:
Rowe and McCain will be on the team until they lose their starting spots. Their salaries are moderate, and their performance is average to above average. They aren't exciting, but they are the glue that holds our back line together. I do think that we'll continue to bring in competition for them until someone finally knocks them out however. Brandon Jones last year and another young mid-rounder this year.

Jesse Davis is an extremely valuable piece. Not many backup linemen can back up so many positions, and do it without complaint. Jesse KNOWS he's a good back-up and seems to enjoy the role. I think he's with us for a couple more years, at least (barring injury).

Smythe is another good player signed to a back up contract. He was just resigned (as Mach pointed out) and doesn't make enough to cut for cap reasons. He'll be with us until he takes a bad injury or is just beaten out... and that's unlikely because his recent resigning means that we are likely not even looking to bring in competition.

Every team has players like this... solid vets who are average NFL players. No team can afford 22 stars.

You have to be careful with restructuring, can bite you in the *** and we have been so good structuring contracts.
exactly. restructuring can kill this team in a couple of years real quick. thats why im big on paying guys up front, so you can get out early if you have to. look at the cowboys. they restructured guys last year and they have a two year window and they will be hurting. paying D law 25 mil this year and it gets close to 30 in a year or two. ridiculous

Grant, Hurns, Wilson and Feje, are the usual suspects, getting cut. Both Rowe and McCain may get cut eventually, but I suspect it won't happen unless, Miami feels its found suitable replacements via the Draft or F/A?

As for KVN, dependant upon if he's designated a post June 1st cut could become a factor in Miami's thinking. If he's not post June cut, that's an additional $9m and can be used immediately. Post June cut it becomes $12m that is not usable until after June 1st. Which might hamper Miami's F/A plans. As for Byron Jones he could get restructured saving about $9m, which might come in handy to rework Howard's deal.

Both Flowers and Lawson are 2 deals I'd leave alone for 2021 and then cut both players in 2022 to gain cap space with virtually no dead money.

The big surprise may come, if Miami somehow decides to trade Howard and/or Flowers/Lawson. That'll free up some more money for 2021 and beyond.

Smythe hasn't been extended yet . . . he's still on the last year of his rookie deal. Good opportunity for a cheap extension.

Jones deal I wouldn't touch at any point. It's fine the way it is. He's expensive. Adding the top CB on the market is expensive and it is what it is. Hoping for a better season with him in year 2.

You can't drop Davis in March . . . . but he absolutely could be on the way out in September if the young guys step up. Like it or not, the Davis cap hit in 2021 is almost the same as the cap hits for Hunt/Kindley/Wilson/Deiter combined. He's a really solid insurance policy but he makes a lot for a 6th offensive lineman.

Rowe and McCain have really nice exit opportunities in their contracts so its easy to point out. Both guys, while not special, are solid at what they do and you can't disrupt that until you have a definitive improvement at the position. Brandon Jones is probably ready to take a job. He seemed to play that Rover like position they wanted Minkah to play last year and he did a good job. Safety FA and draft class is rather deep so while I don't imagine either guy getting cut in March (unless they see an opportunity in FA to upgrade), I wouldn't necessarily pen them in as week 1 either. They both need solid camps and clear top player at the position looks to ensure they are here.

Wilson/Hurns/Grant . . . none make sense for us to get rid of before free agency. If we were over the cap that is another story, but being 30 million under you can afford to carry guys with minimal cap savings into camp and see what you are working with

I don't expect much more pre free agency movement. Clayton Fejedelem seems obvious and we know about KVN. MIght do an Ogbah extension which won't do much to the cap and neither will redoing X's contract. Start negotiations with the 2018 guys (Baker/Gesicki).

We are just in a really good spot cap wise and don't have to be pressured to do anything right now.

Earlier in the offseason I was down to cut McCain and move on with someone else, but after truly thinking about it..... no

He's a leader here, not super pricey, average player. We arent getting a legit upgrade without paying a lot of coin imo... Marcus Maye was tagged I believe... Justin Simmons gonna cost an arm and leg, who else... Anthony Harris?

Smythe hasn't been extended yet . . . he's still on the last year of his rookie deal. Good opportunity for a cheap extension.

Jones deal I wouldn't touch at any point. It's fine the way it is. He's expensive. Adding the top CB on the market is expensive and it is what it is. Hoping for a better season with him in year 2.

You can't drop Davis in March . . . . but he absolutely could be on the way out in September if the young guys step up. Like it or not, the Davis cap hit in 2021 is almost the same as the cap hits for Hunt/Kindley/Wilson/Deiter combined. He's a really solid insurance policy but he makes a lot for a 6th offensive lineman.

Rowe and McCain have really nice exit opportunities in their contracts so its easy to point out. Both guys, while not special, are solid at what they do and you can't disrupt that until you have a definitive improvement at the position. Brandon Jones is probably ready to take a job. He seemed to play that Rover like position they wanted Minkah to play last year and he did a good job. Safety FA and draft class is rather deep so while I don't imagine either guy getting cut in March (unless they see an opportunity in FA to upgrade), I wouldn't necessarily pen them in as week 1 either. They both need solid camps and clear top player at the position looks to ensure they are here.

Wilson/Hurns/Grant . . . none make sense for us to get rid of before free agency. If we were over the cap that is another story, but being 30 million under you can afford to carry guys with minimal cap savings into camp and see what you are working with

I don't expect much more pre free agency movement. Clayton Fejedelem seems obvious and we know about KVN. MIght do an Ogbah extension which won't do much to the cap and neither will redoing X's contract. Start negotiations with the 2018 guys (Baker/Gesicki).

We are just in a really good spot cap wise and don't have to be pressured to do anything right now.
For some reason, I thought the Smythe contract had been done. My mistake, thanks for pointing it out. I believe I did read that they were close to a deal, but I read a lot of things that have no basis...lol.

Don't underestimate to importance of 2-3 quality ST guys. They don't make obscene money, but some can do quite well for ST. All ST guys aren't just minimum salary and easily replaceable. No, I don't want to overpay, but Flo (and all HCs) seems to love solid ST guys

only guy i restructure is x. make this year all signing bonus and put him at vet min. he wants more guaranteed and this will do that. plus incentives. nobody else is worth restructure

I don’t think this FO will sign or resign any player over 30 unless it’s a bkup QB like Alex Smith or Fitz. It’s been their most consistent pattern. Hurns is over 30, Grant and Wilson aren’t. I know we resigned Grant last yr so not sure what his cap hit is

Grant, Hurns, Wilson and Feje, are the usual suspects, getting cut. Both Rowe and McCain may get cut eventually, but I suspect it won't happen unless, Miami feels its found suitable replacements via the Draft or F/A?

As for KVN, dependant upon if he's designated a post June 1st cut could become a factor in Miami's thinking. If he's not post June cut, that's an additional $9m and can be used immediately. Post June cut it becomes $12m that is not usable until after June 1st. Which might hamper Miami's F/A plans. As for Byron Jones he could get restructured saving about $9m, which might come in handy to rework Howard's deal.

Both Flowers and Lawson are 2 deals I'd leave alone for 2021 and then cut both players in 2022 to gain cap space with virtually no dead money.

The big surprise may come, if Miami somehow decides to trade Howard and/or Flowers/Lawson. That'll free up some more money for 2021 and beyond.
I know no one wants to hear this, but I think it’s a HIGHLY likely possibility that we trade X before the draft if we can get another #1 for him. Since Flo is a Pats understudy, it would be such a Patriot thing to do—trading a player at the top of his game to a contender, is how the Pats have been relevant for so long.

Back
Top Bottom