Revisiting The 2012 Draft(osweiler) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Revisiting The 2012 Draft(osweiler)

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
NFL.com: “His athletic ability allows him to play the position naturally and with ease. He slings the ball naturally, as well, and even though he pats the ball before throwing, his release is so compact and effective he isn’t hindered by this habit in the slightest. His shining asset is his arm strength; he can hit nearly any NFL-caliber throw at this point in his career. … Osweiler had on-the-field judgment issues throughout his career at ASU and isn’t reliable to protect the ball from turnovers. It seems as if he starts to get rolling in a game, and the more confidence he builds, the more of a gun-slinger mentality he adopts.”

Gil Brandt: “Despite his height, he is very flexible and has a solid throwing platform. … I think Osweiler vaulted himself into the first round on draft day. … His showing Friday was somewhat surprising; I think he exceeded the expectations of everybody in attendance. … Osweiler, an outstanding high-school athlete from Montana, has a lot of upside, and some team with a need at the position will be tempted late in the first round.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2015/11/24/revisiting-2012-pre-draft-scouting-reports-on-brock-osweiler/

Just thought you all might enjoy this....

Bonus... Video highlights of his 2nd career start versus Brady and the Pats....Osweiler defeated the then undefeated Patriots.

Last edited:
They forgot to mention that he has the tendency to forget about reading coverage before he throws. Doesn't use his eyes to redirect the the DB. Lapses in concentration at the most critical times of the game. Probably the most frustrating is that he can look like a NFL starting caliber QB one game, only to follow it up with a performance where you ask how did this guy get drafted.

Just wanted to bring everyone back to reality.:wink:

Last edited:
I was just asking this. What was his pedigree coming out of the draft that made him get drafted in the second round? Why was it thought he could take over for Manning?

Last edited:
They forgot to mention that he has the tendency to forget about reading coverage before he throws. Doesn't use his eyes to redirect the the DB. Lapses in concentration at the most critical times of the game. Probably the most frustrating is that he can look like a NFL starting caliber QB one game, only to follow it up with a performance where you ask how did this guy get drafted.

However...go back to first year starting in the Denver System that Gase worked with him in...2012-2014...5-2 in his first seven starts...defeated the undefeated Patriots in his 2nd start.

I’m not suggesting he is probably the answer...just intrigued and wondering...curious to see this play out.

It’s easy to be negative...but he did have a good year in 2015 that got him a big deal from Houston.

Is it possible he didn’t fit in Houston’s system? Is it possible he has matured? It does happen, though some seem to think it doesn’t.

I am not a believer yet... but I am intrigued to see what happens.

Maybe it is short lived... but I saw a more decisive. Quick decision QB than I saw in Ryan Tannehill the last 7 years.

He ran this scheme better than I’ve ever seen Ryan run it.

I was just asking this. What was his pedigree coming out of the draft that made him get drafted in the first round? Why was it thought he could take over for Manning?

His scouting report link was posted in the OP.

He was a 2nd rounder who was fairly highly regarded.

I was hoping maybe that link was like a rethinking or redrafting in 2012. How do you think that draft would go down today, knowing what everyone knows?

I was hoping maybe that link was like a rethinking or redrafting in 2012. How do you think that draft would go down today, knowing what everyone knows?

He still has to a lot to prove to justify where he was drafted even.

I’m just saying I’m intrigued to see if a lightbulb went on for him...this isn’t Madden...some QB’s need time to adjust to the NFL...sometimes it’s the system they are in.

Again... the system he ran against the Bears...is similar to the system Tom Brady runs.

Are you talking about Tannehill or Osweiler? Because that seems to be talking directly about Tannehill, but this is an Osweiler thread.

However...go back to first year starting in the Denver System that Gase worked with him in...2012-2014...5-2 in his first seven starts...defeated the undefeated Patriots in his 2nd start.
. He had no starts while Gase was in Denver.

Are you talking about Tannehill or Osweiler? Because that seems to be talking directly about Tannehill, but this is an Osweiler thread.

. He had no starts while Gase was in Denver.

I didn’t say he did...Gase worked with him until 2014 for 3 years..and Denver’s system was Gase’s system...his success in his first starts in 2015 were surely influenced by working under Gase for 3 years.

I didn’t say he did...Gase worked with him until 2014 for 3 years..and Denver’s system was Gase’s system...his success in his first starts in 2015 were surely influenced by working under Gase for 3 years.
Gases system which was really McCoys system.

One good game doesn’t change my opinion of him.

Of course not...but are you at least intrigued to see if he’s grown a bit?... or it’s just an illusion?

Do you believe a player can’t develop?

He’s only 28...and the reason he was a 2nd rounder is he was raw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom